VHT/Fryette amps resale values

nitro

I have been seeing people selling there VHT/Fryette amps for stupid cheap prices,this is probably why the resale values on these amps go down the tubes because of this.VHT/Fryette amps should hold the same resale value as Bogner,Diezel,Soldano and especially custom audio electonics.Ive been playing VHT/Fryette amps since the early 90s and there power amps since the late 80s,in my opinion and the opinion of many others that VHT/Fryette amps sound better then the amps that I have listed above,the power section of VHT/Fryette amps are like no other,I have owned and played the amps I have listed above and to me the dont compare to VHT/Fryette soundwise........ :thumbsup:

so buy used! :rock: something we've all learn at one point, but don't allways follow.

try a $4000+ Herbert at 25-2800, don't know on Bogners, Soldano maybe holds thiers a little.

other than Camerons, i don't hardly know of any that hold thier value. Mesa used to be one of the best.

i know i bought new on Mesa a few years ago, because the used were only like $200 below new.

I'm finding the resale value on the VHT's a little lower than other brands. Before the name was sold the Ultra Lead sold on Musician's Friend for $3799 at the time I bought mine. Now I have it in the classifieds for $2100 shipped and it's still not moving. Kind of blows my mind that such an incredible amp in mint condition can't even fetch $2000 clear.

Soldano's seem to be holding a decent value, more so the SLO's than anything. Diezel's take a bit of a hit and are worth holding out for a used one. Cameron's are fetching premium dollar and I can't see that changing any time soon. Mesa's (if you're patient) can be snagged at killer prices now. All around I think times are tough and we're all taking a hit on one thing or another. You know what holds a good value though? High end recording equipment! Especially preamps and compressors. I'm looking forward to getting back into that game.

Like said, everyone has low prices, and still can't sell anything. Framus is the one that really has taken a hit, a $3000 Cobra is lucky to fetch $1400.

I basically paid around $1650 for my VHT CLX, which was a hell of a deal.

Times are tough but, also you have China with cheap great amps like Egnater. There are a ton of great amps at great prices, new. this has to hurt the used market too IMHO.

The higher the price of the amp, in general the less potential buyers you have. There are alot more potential buyers on a $1000 amp than there are a $2000 amp. The low prices are pretty much across the board. What I see in the classifieds is 2 different sellers. Those who list the amp for what they think it should sell for and won't adjust for the economy. The second type are just trying to sell the amp at all costs, they keep dropping the price just to move it.

Everyone's feeling the squeeze, simple law of supply and demand.

Sucks, but hey, everything has a price and everything has a point at which it either attracts or detracts from the interested public.

V.

It's progressively getting worse, unless something is going for a steal most people aren't really buying anything anymore.

Lots of truth in here.

When the economy gets better and people start having more free cash in their pockets, gear will move faster and used prices will go back up. I've even noticed a slight improvement over the past few months...you couldn't give gear away a year ago. Now you can, if you cover shipping out-of-pocket. :LOL: :LOL:

I think that things are definitely improving, but it's going to take time, and it might never be as good as it was in '06 and early '07. If you can afford to hold onto your gear, it might be worth it to wait a few months. Between Christmas and Valentine's Day is always the worst time of year to sell gear; prices usually pick back up again in March. We'll just have to see how much of a difference it makes when we get there.

i haven't seen any signs of things getting better? maybe some year end bonus guys.

only thing i've seen that's selling good is the 5150's 6505's, etc.

somehwere coming up, guys will be blowing thier tax refunds, but never seem to hit that just right.

Supply vs demand.

Doesn't really matter how good something sounds... if everyone that's willing to pay $3000 already has one you're going to have to drop the price to $2500 to open up new market.

some dude":2pl0sdh4 said:
Supply vs demand.

Doesn't really matter how good something sounds... if everyone that's willing to pay $3000 already has one you're going to have to drop the price to $2500 to open up new market.

I mentioned this earlier, and also wanted to add, 'opportunity cost'. This is another variable that comes into play when finances get tight. An asset, such as an amp, guitar or cab, becomes useless when there's something more necessary or demanded from someone financially. Unless one is a pro musician, whereby the gear generates income, it's just stuff when the going gets tough. So regardless of a head being $5000... If you HAVE to come up with $2000 in 5 days, you'll sell that bitch for $2000 OBO, due to the consequence of the other variable.

Whatever... I see it all the time in my profession. Sad, but at least it's cyclical.

V.

The way I see it....While Fryette may advertise at MAP, dealers quite often sell them at up to 20% off MAP - Musician Friend, Music 123 and the like. Diezel, ENGL, Bogner, Mesa - you pay MAP (well sometimes you can get them for less, but the dealer is likely violating their dealer agreement - so it's harder to get). So on a $3,500 Fryette, your looking at being able to get a new one for $2800. So then take 25 - 30% off that for used and it puts you at around $2K, which is where they sell used.

napalmdeath":s4dus760 said:
I wish the Deliverance 60's had an effects loop. There's a LIKE NEW one on the 'bay for $799 BIN...

Damn you. I'd be all over that but I'm waiting to see how an auction on a Marshall pans out. Of course by the time the Marshall one ends and is too high for me this will be gone :LOL: :LOL:

Prices are really low right now. Some companies more than others but, nonetheless, ridiculously low prices. Good for buyers though. :D

nitro":ca10h1sb said:
I have been seeing people selling there VHT/Fryette amps for stupid cheap prices,this is probably why the resale values on these amps go down the tubes because of this.VHT/Fryette amps should hold the same resale value as Bogner,Diezel,Soldano and especially custom audio electonics.Ive been playing VHT/Fryette amps since the early 90s and there power amps since the late 80s,in my opinion and the opinion of many others that VHT/Fryette amps sound better then the amps that I have listed above,the power section of VHT/Fryette amps are like no other,I have owned and played the amps I have listed above and to me the dont compare to VHT/Fryette soundwise........ :thumbsup:

The market decides the used prices, not you.

Back