Amp tinkerers... Discovered the angriest-sounding capacitor

FourT6and2":2io2b70o said:
Yeah I know what you mean. Like people say there's no audible difference between 470pF and 500pF tone stack treble cap. But to me it's a fairly noticeable difference. My current builds all have 100pF fizz cap. I was going to try 47pF in one of them but I just didn't bother. I might parallel another 47pF in one of my amps that has 47pF there to see if I can hear a difference.

Funny how things are like that. I have only one buddy I trust with the same ear as mine, I can do little tweaks like that on a live amp while he's playing and he'll immediately give me his feedback that matches what I hear. The nice thing is he has absolutely no clue what electronic components do so his feedback is not influenced by understanding what a cap or resistor does in any part of a circuit. We've played in bands together for over 20 years so that might have something to do with the way we gel.

On the other hand I have another buddy that repairs, builds, and restores, amps for a living. He calls me crazy for saying I can hear the difference between different manufactures of electrolytic caps ;)

FourT6and2":3a3ktgeh said:
idnotbe":3a3ktgeh said:
sjk":3a3ktgeh said:
Just buy a wizard, that's what I did a year and a half ago and no mods or changes needed lol.
wizard sound is not compelling to me, though i hear it through youtube.

Yeah I agree. I haven't heard any Wizard clips that sound good to me. They're all kind of harsh and fizzy. But yeah, the circuit itself isn't anything special. Same old same old Marshall thing. Build quality is kind of lackluster fora $4K amp too.

As far as changing a BE100 to be more aggressive. I don't know off-hand. I would need to see the schematic. I have one. But apparently it's incorrect. Maybe Scott might know. He's more familiar with that amp.

I always thought the same view as you, as well about any and all wizard clips until I got the thing, I'm no great player and this was not much volume but oh well

Also don't judge the clip if watched on a smartphone, that always fucks the sound anyway lol! ahh fuck it fire away

I always thought my SLO with john suhr loop sounded pretty angry dialed in right; heres a clip of that one I made last year

People asking about an angrier BE100 , isn't the 2016 spec BE100 suppose to be more aggressive and less compressed .

FourT6and2":1wfex8kl said:
CrazyNutz":1wfex8kl said:
FourT6and2":1wfex8kl said:
Does the PI fizz cap do much going from 100pF to 47? I mean combined with everything else, yeah. But how about just by itself? I'd have to do the math, but I think either way, the frequencies are well above the human range of hearing, let alone with a guitar amp speaker is able to reproduce.

I can feel the difference more than I can hear it (I can hear it too), feels more open, less choked. If that's what you are going for. I usually go for 100pf on just about anything because I like the slight smoothing.

It's not a massive thing, but in combination with the other tweaks it adds up.

BTW I've done the math on many things like this, same with the grid stoppers on power tubes where the math says these can go > 20k ohms before it makes any difference. We'll I gave up on the math, because I can tell the difference between 1.5k ohms, and 5.7k ohms.

Yeah I know what you mean. Like people say there's no audible difference between 470pF and 500pF tone stack treble cap. But to me it's a fairly noticeable difference. My current builds all have 100pF fizz cap. I was going to try 47pF in one of them but I just didn't bother. I might parallel another 47pF in one of my amps that has 47pF there to see if I can hear a difference.
with a 10% tolerance the 470pf could actually be higher than the 500pf. It would be interesting if someone did this with tested and hand picked capacitors

scottosan":12fb7acl said:
FourT6and2":12fb7acl said:
CrazyNutz":12fb7acl said:
FourT6and2":12fb7acl said:
Does the PI fizz cap do much going from 100pF to 47? I mean combined with everything else, yeah. But how about just by itself? I'd have to do the math, but I think either way, the frequencies are well above the human range of hearing, let alone with a guitar amp speaker is able to reproduce.

I can feel the difference more than I can hear it (I can hear it too), feels more open, less choked. If that's what you are going for. I usually go for 100pf on just about anything because I like the slight smoothing.

It's not a massive thing, but in combination with the other tweaks it adds up.

BTW I've done the math on many things like this, same with the grid stoppers on power tubes where the math says these can go > 20k ohms before it makes any difference. We'll I gave up on the math, because I can tell the difference between 1.5k ohms, and 5.7k ohms.

with a 10% tolerance the 470pf could actually be higher than the 500pf. It would be interesting if someone did this with tested and hand picked capacitors

That's what I've been doing. All my caps are 1%. And they all measure bang on. Those Philips KP are high quality. And I've been going back and forth between 470pF, 510pF, and 560pF. All the caps measure their exact value on my meter which can read down that low and has 1% tolerance. And I zero the meter out so the test leads don't affect the reading. About as much as I can do really. And yeah... there's an audible difference between the values.

harsh59":1mptq4lu said:
People asking about an angrier BE100 , isn't the 2016 spec BE100 suppose to be more aggressive and less compressed .

maybe less compressed and more aggressive than the previous version.
but for me (i own a late 2016 version), it's still smoother, more polished than the other amps.

Yeah I agree. I haven't heard any Wizard clips that sound good to me. They're all kind of harsh and fizzy. But yeah, the circuit itself isn't anything special. Same old same old Marshall thing. Build quality is kind of lackluster fora $4K amp too.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
I usually find your posts very insightful, but this really surprised me. I can understand not liking the clips, but the build quality comment caught me off guard. :confused:
I own 2 Wizards, a 2012 MTL and a 2016 MCII, and the build quality is spectacular. Some of the highest quality craftsmanship I've seen in an amp, and completely bomb proof.
I would also make the standard claim that you have to have a Wizard in the room with you to get it. From following your threads, I think you would really dig an MCII.

fusedbrain":3ibs1xdm said:
I usually find your posts very insightful, but this really surprised me. I can understand not liking the clips, but the build quality comment caught me off guard. :confused:
I own 2 Wizards, a 2012 MTL and a 2016 MCII, and the build quality is spectacular. Some of the highest quality craftsmanship I've seen in an amp, and completely bomb proof.
I would also make the standard claim that you have to have a Wizard in the room with you to get it. From following your threads, I think you would really dig an MCII.

Proof: http://www.slocloneforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14297

The build quality isn't horrible. But it's nothing that warrants a $4k price tag.

Pics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... VZtaENVUVU

FourT6and2":39in1l2e said:
fusedbrain":39in1l2e said:

The build quality isn't horrible. But it's nothing that warrants a $4k price tag.

Pretty much agree on the price but I assume...perhaps wrongly, that being made in Canada has a factor in that? Actually the prices are now in the $4500 hundred range for the 100 watt models.
All that said I never buy brand new amps anyway and shop for deals on used.

sjk":7fn7aan2 said:
FourT6and2":7fn7aan2 said:
fusedbrain":7fn7aan2 said:

Pretty much agree on the price but I assume...perhaps wrongly, that being made in Canada has a factor in that? Actually the prices are now in the $4500 hundred range for the 100 watt models.
All that said I never buy brand new amps anyway and shop for deals on used.

No idea. The price is the price. $4K because it's made in Canada? I don't know. But it's too rich for my blood. I'd never pay that much for any guitar amp..

I think angry is subjecting. Some might say angry is chugga chugga, some think strongs mids are angry. Polyester is warmer and a little more boomy and subtle top end. Polypropylene tends to be more accurate and in guitar applications will have more mid emphasis due to the unrestircted highs and less boomy lows.

Back