Amp tinkerers... Discovered the angriest-sounding capacitor

Vrad

EVAR! LOL! :D

I'm sure it's old news to some of you hardcore amp builders/tinkerers... but the IC MPW series is so fucking pissed off-sounding it's hysterical.

psychodave":nkri35g8 said:
I don't believe it. It's a cap and it can't sound different. Let me pull out my super duper tester, scanner, flux capacitor to show you it on a scope that there is no difference in sound. Don't blame it on my ears not being able to tell the difference either. I will stick to the orignal caps since they came with the amp and clearly the amp designer wouldn't use inferior parts. Blah, blah, blah.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hee hee...
They all sound different to me. I can hear the differences between Mustards/Sozos/Mallory 150's/Orange Drops and now these IC MPW. Anyone can't, didn't try them back to back. Oh yeah the difference isn't subtle either.

Capulin Overdrive":2ki8bv6o said:
do they build them in Illinois, or are they farmed out?

Probably China, but I bet the original Made In Illinois ones are better! LOL! :D

psychodave":nf0yw4qd said:
Vrad":nf0yw4qd said:
psychodave":nf0yw4qd said:
I don't believe it. It's a cap and it can't sound different. Let me pull out my super duper tester, scanner, flux capacitor to show you it on a scope that there is no difference in sound. Don't blame it on my ears not being able to tell the difference either. I will stick to the orignal caps since they came with the amp and clearly the amp designer wouldn't use inferior parts. Blah, blah, blah.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hee hee...
They all sound different to me. I can hear the differences between Mustards/Sozos/Mallory 150's/Orange Drops and now these IC MPW. Anyone can't, didn't try them back to back. Oh yeah the difference isn't subtle either.

I believe it. :thumbsup: I have some caps that sound super smooth and some that sound raspy.

My first post was meant to make fun of the non-believers of the tube shield thread :D

Yeah I kinda got that... ;)

So I removed the CF on my SL. Turned it into a gain stage. I should have done that a long time ago... LOL! :D

I cna hear the diff. I play around with it a lot. I also like the Solen fast caps and the Audiphiler 1uf.. its a bright red. Is the one your talking about dark green ?

jerrydyer":hjxgreuh said:
I cna hear the diff. I play around with it a lot. I also like the Solen fast caps and the Audiphiler 1uf.. its a bright red. Is the one your talking about dark green ?

No the 1uf IC MPW is yellow. Looks like a big Mallory cap. The IC's are HUGE caps. I heard the Solen Fast Caps are great too. Haven't tried them yet.

jerrydyer":19vb1qph said:
I have bunch of illinois at home...dont know whether or not they say MPW

Mine do... They have a code on them and say then say MPW. I remember Larry from Larry Amps saying he uses those and the MPP series for modern amps. I can see why... they're very modern-sounding.

jerrydyer":1fbzcc9e said:
metalized polypropylene and metalized whatever PW is (parafin wax) ? :LOL: :LOL: for the vintge tone.

Metalized Polypropylene for sure... that's the MP-part. Not sure about the parafin wax part. They're anything but vintage-sounding.

danyeo":rvypqins said:
Does it crush all other caps? What if you change the cap but leave the tube shields on? Then what?

It's the cap to end all caps... With or without shields... LOL! :D

What Ive found to be neat is taking the idea and making it a hybrid that takes advantage of both worlds. Use the best sounding caps in series and the worst sounding caps going to ground. You'll thank me later :D

EDIT: just dont ever use electrolytics outside of power filtering! They are useless to the point that they do nothing but damage the tone.

JakeAC5253":1q0ckkj4 said:
What Ive found to be neat is taking the idea and making it a hybrid that takes advantage of both worlds. Use the best sounding caps in series and the worst sounding caps going to ground. You'll thank me later :D

EDIT: just dont ever use electrolytics outside of power filtering! They are useless to the point that they do nothing but damage the tone.

I've been thinking about that lately; bad sounding caps are grainy, harsh, fizzy so you want that to leak to ground. Good sounding caps apparently leave through less of that considered bad parts of the tone. Going by that reasoning: what would you consider bad about electrolytics ?
I bought an RK100 recently that has electrolytic cathode bypass on the first two stages...

Giga

Sometimes when I hit a chord and it doesn't sound angry enough I approach the mic and make a 'grrrrrrrrrrrr' sound at the same time. That scares people pretty good.

Randy Van Sykes":2z9wcih9 said:
Sometimes when I hit a chord and it doesn't sound angry enough I approach the mic and make a 'grrrrrrrrrrrr' sound at the same time. That scares people pretty good.
:picsorban:

Mailman1971":135kyim5 said:
Randy Van Sykes":135kyim5 said:
:picsorban:
For shock and awe I squeal, they don't know what's going on.

Back