THE FRACTAL DEBACLE

Ventura

Yo Cats...

Alright, been a LOT of threads about the Axe-II and the whole roll out and what the hell this, and what the f*ck that, and why this and who that... I'm certainly one who was party to the pressure - the eve of the launch I posted over at the Fractal site that if indeed this WAS new hardware that WAS going to basically - more or less - start the obselescence train for the Standards and the Ultras, that the powers-that-be may wish to reconsider how they were going about their business. I mentioned the fact that orders were still being placed; several members there were 'assured' that nothing new was going to come out [within a period of time that seemingly was reasonable enough for them to base their BUY button hit on]; yada yada yada.

Now, my rub with all of this was that the VALUE of the products that people HAD in their possession was, in many ways, being potentially jeopardized by not really knowing what the hell was going on. And that's fine, new shit comes out all the time, and that's the nature of business. But my rub with it was that there was a lengthy, long, drawn out 'tease' to the consumers. And I looked at it from the fact that some of these cats, many of these cats, may have been aware of the fact that if they didn't get on with their unit, they could easily sell it and recoup their costs - young musicians, guys without big rig budgets, bedroom rockstars, all the way up to people with money who at least felt confident that, well, if I don't like it, I can sell it. So all along, there's this tease - is it firmware, is it a foot controller, is it an FX only module, and the odd peep from the moderators would refuel all the speculation all over again... It was, basically, a tease and, IMHO, unethical because the very thing they were touting as "the best" in which people felt secure about, was, during the countdown and right up to its apex, being questioned (don't forget about the Duets and Sapphires and ProFires all being bought too, as there was no MIDI/USB evolution ever mentioned, more money out of pocket!!). Now, transparency in business rocks - it's how I do my business and it's gotten me quite far. Fractal's not my business. Obviously. But hey, if I were in Fractals shoes, and I knew something else was being developed, I would have leaked it out a couple months back, hinted to the fact it'd be more expensive and offering a few upgrades, but the remaining lineage would still be available, as would its respective upgrades and support, and therefore, a triumvirate of products to meet all price levels for all people - more or less. That's it that's all.

But no. A unit comes out, word follows shortly thereafter that the Standard and the Ultra are ixnayed, and from here on in, it's Axe-II baby, all the way. And oh, none are for sale yet. THAT is what I call BLINDSIDING. And the buggers had the audacity to string countless members, lurkers, consumers, and forumites along throughout the whole thing, and when the cork popped - as per my initial warning - it was less celebration than it was a huge hate on for the way things were handled. Of course, the moderators and those close to the moderators defended this practice vehemently - but NO ONE seemingly was accountable for the FACT that it was indeed a BLINDSIDING; when looking at it from a purely ethical, transparent level of business practice.

So this started me in on a bit of a bandwagon. I was pissed - not at the fact I just bought an Ultra not 2 months ago (I did indeed sell it to a different time zone for full pop about 2 minutes after the Axe-II was announced, so it wasn't that that bugged me) - but because I thought it was piss poor to "treat" high paying clientele like that. Cloak and dagger. And for everyone who voiced their upset, the mods kicked into Gestapo mode and either deleted their posts, shut down the thread, or banned them. The PMs I received were crazy - and again, I'm not some self righteous self proclaimed self entitled big mouth, I was seriously pissed at the way things were handled - and then insult to injury - the way they were being re-handled AFTER the fact (as per the above mention of mods, etc.).

Enter Clifford Chase and Tom King. I've had the pleasure of speaking with Tom, 100% stand up guy. I like him. I've also had the pleasure of corresponding with Cliff - primarily due to the fact it would have appeared that my posts were well enough defensible and articulate to have a lot of those who were pissed off, feel vindicated in their position. And I didn't give a rats ass about mod warnings, being banned or the like. I spoke professionally and with conviction (and yes, sometimes a little gruffly, ahem). So Cliff and I had some words. This has gone on now since the launch, and it was finally discussed today, betwixt Cliff and I, why it was things were seemingly the way they were. "Seemingly" being the key word.

Alright, business is business - the marketing plot was just that, to create hype, and it worked incredibly well. Due to the fact the Axe-II is going to be product No.1 now, restocking of the Standards and the Ultras are going to be back-burnered, not to mention, hey, there's a lot for resale right now on eBay and CL, a natural market's just opened up. Hats off to Cliff for pricing the Axe-II almost TOO well!! Great price, seriously, and some people were pissed because the "had they known it was only going to be a months wait and a couple hun more, I woulda waited" mentality prevailed. Not Cliff's problem - he priced it "nicely", and ya, it's loaded with some exceptional features. Another thing Cliff mentioned was that he had requested his mods to ease up a bit, be a little less heavy handed, maybe be a little more empathetic to those caught in the "just bought" post purchase dissonance mindset. Fair enough. And last but not least, he stated he's a small company guy, he's put out a product that's hit the streets like none other, he's spinning, he's just trying to better the product line, he had to make decisions about the previous models, where to focus his and his poduction teams efforts, and here we are now - Axe-II is going to get launched. He's a small time company owner, doesn't have gobs of staff to continue all product lines, and is now being inundated with threatening lawsuits, credit card charge backs, and a lot of threats. Maybe I didn't help in this, but I'm seeing it through his eyes now, it wasn't "his" doing. A lot of the stress and dissonance on the forums has been caused by lack of accurate information, rumour, and heavy handed mods taking the "know it all power" route and pissing off already pissed off people.

So - amends. I never once personally attacked Clifford, or Tom. I did attack some of the seemingly brainwashed zealots and most certainly a number of mods. I am still officially banned over there, and that's fine, it'll do me some good to avoid that place, but I did promise Cliff I'd come clean on this end, and also share with everyone the fact he personally is not at all pleased with the way this has gone down. He just wanted to do good. He's not a large enough company to keep all products alive. And he wanted to price it right to be good for the next gen of buyers. For all these things I applaud him. And ya, I feel pretty bad for the guy to be taking a beating like he is. I don't think he deserves it, the mods on the other hand?? Well, whatever. Was this a failed marketing ploy? No, it definitely succeeded, but perhaps next time - if there is a next time - they'll have learned a bit about market reaction and do things just slightly differently. Furthermore, I am certain if Cliff COULD be on the forums as much as his mods, the tone/attitude there would be vastly different from the robotic prose of the mods simply stamping out the knee jerk, oft at times "top down" replies. But hey, Cliff's busy building our favourite toy. I can't blame him for that. And in fact, I don't blame him for ANYTHING. I applaud his product, I applaud his engineering, I applaud the advancements made, and I applaud how well I've adapted to playing through their product!!

I am buying an Axe-II, I have faith in Cliff and his products 100%, and most of all, I have faith that this mess will get resolved, and hopefully, the mods will get reigned in a bit, people will feel a little more at ease about expressing their upset and discontent if for nothing more than to get it off their chests; and the fractal movement will move forward - as it was and is meant to do. And maybe, just maybe, the Fractal Forum will allow a little more latitude to those who ask real questions and voice real concerns. Fractal is what Fractal is because Fractal clients paid money. And this deserves some respect.

Clifford - I know you'll read this, I hope you see this as an amend for the shitstorm I assisted in making grow worse (I'm not going to say I started it, that would be rather egotistical). Tom, you're all good. Mods?? You ain't gods, be happy you'll have a membership base left once this all distills down in the next week or so...be kind, we're all in it for the music. Lest we forget. Lift my ban and I'll happily say my peace over there too, as I promised Cliff.

Peace & ZoSo,
Mojo

Well my experience with Cliff is completely different. If I ever said anything slightly negative i would get PMs from him threatening to pull the Tone Merchants dealership. I wasn't even a partner at the time. I lent him my Eventide Eclipse, and even after he was done with it, it took him 6 months to return it. He was going to borrow my CAE as well but never sent the UPS label for it as promised. It sat boxed for him for months. Never a thank you. Just threats.

I had been on forums talking up the Axe Fx, lent it out to people, and sold tons of them at the shop for him. But he would get pissed if I would say someone might like a Bogner, or Goodsell more. Ridiculous. If someone tells me what their taste are and I recommend what I think will work for them, no other manufacturer should be upset. I have to be honest about products related to a customers needs. I was using the Axe Fx before Tone Merchants had even heard of it. He's a total douche in my book. :thumbsdown: It doesn't sound as good as a real amp when it is FRFR and I won't lie about it for him. And at the point you are going to use a real amp and cab then it's just a digital preamp and I'll take my Fish or X88 first any day.

Tom is good people. Cliff, not so much.

Cliff always used to come off as a douche on the forums. Self righteous know it all douche.
He's trying to be nicer now because of the shit storm and the fact that he wants the Axe2 to have a successful launch. I look at him like a talented bitch that I throw some $ at and I get what I want. Basically a worker of mine that I pay to make me happy once every few years.
He makes a great product,i have owned an Ultra & MFC for some time now and will buy the Axe2.
At the end of the day I only care if I like a product ,because we don't know pretty much 100% of the people behind the products we buy and for all we know many of them are jerkoffs just like many of us
On these forums :LOL: :LOL:

BYTOR":i7i6dv6i said:
Cliff always used to come off as a douche on the forums. Self righteous know it all douche.

And this is any different from any other Forumites? :D

I'm a douche, your a douche, we're "ALL DOUCHES"! Otherwise, we'd be eatin' pussy & actually playing, rather than wasting time typing worthless dribble in an internet forum......... :yes:

Never wanted an Axe FX, never will. I don't give a shit who tells me it sounds and feels like my real tube gear. It don't. This is my first and last post ever about Axe FX. Modelers have their uses, but they are not and never will be a tube amp. Not for me.

Sooooo... you were upset that Fractal Audio released a surprise axe-fx II, went against your "business ethics", but you had no probs scooting to a new time zone and unloading your old axe before they knew about the announcement? Did i read that right?? :confused:

The smart move for anybody thinking straight would have been to sell whatever you had when the countdown started. That was all the warning anybody should have needed.

From day fuckin' one we've been saying the old units would take a huge hit in value when the new one was released. The respsonse was always, and quite correctly, "That's the nature of the digital realm, you buy a new PC, cell, PDA, blah blah every few years and don't complain about it, it's not a problem and we accept that". Except when it finally happened all of those same people went batshit with butthurt. Make up your minds already. (And guess what, 5 years from now you'll be applying the Prep H AGAIN when the III is released).

Shark Diver":1dtbchum said:
Well my experience with Cliff is completely different. If I ever said anything slightly negative i would get PMs from him threatening to pull the Tone Merchants dealership. I wasn't even a partner at the time. I lent him my Eventide Eclipse, and even after he was done with it, it took him 6 months to return it. He was going to borrow my CAE as well but never sent the UPS label for it as promised. It sat boxed for him for months. Never a thank you. Just threats.

I had been on forums talking up the Axe Fx, lent it out to people, and sold tons of them at the shop for him. But he would get pissed if I would say someone might like a Bogner, or Goodsell more. Ridiculous. If someone tells me what their taste are and I recommend what I think will work for them, no other manufacturer should be upset. I have to be honest about products related to a customers needs. I was using the Axe Fx before Tone Merchants had even heard of it. He's a total douche in my book. :thumbsdown: It doesn't sound as good as a real amp when it is FRFR and I won't lie about it for him. And at the point you are going to use a real amp and cab then it's just a digital preamp and I'll take my Fish or X88 first any day.

Lame. Your experience alone makes me not want to try one again. And yes, FRFR will always lose in a match against a good sounding amp and cab.

I have to largely disagree with your statement. I see nothing wrong with what Cliff did. Unless he specificially lied to you and denied something was coming out, then yeah, I would be pissed. He is under no obligation to keep us updated if a new product is announced. For example, I just ordered parts for a brand new PC this week (Intel i7 2600k, motherboard, ram, etc..). What if today Intel announces a new 6 core i7 chip that smokes what I just bought? Do I have a right to be pissed? I don't think so. That's just the way it works.

As far as the original Axe losing value, it depends on what your definition of "value" is. If you're purely talking monetary value, then yes, it has lost value. I didn't buy it having resale value in mind. I bought it to do a job and even if something new is coming out it still has just as much "value" to me as when I bought it. Perhaps I might decide i want the Axe-II someday and I'll not get much out of my first Axe. That's ok with me because I got "value" out of the time I owned it.

I take issue with your statement that you sold your Ultra two minutes after the announcement so you could still fetch a high price for it. Aren't you essentially doing to the guy who bought it what you're pissed about Fractal doing to you? You tried to unload it while you could still get a lot of money for it. Fractal was still trying unload Standards and Ultras while they could still get a lot of money for them. It just seems disingenuous for you to complain about what happened when you basically just did the same thing to somebody else.

I, along with many others, had a problem with the way the whole "waiting/discount" list for the MFC foot controller was handled. I waited and waited for my "golden ticket" email and finally gave up and ordered one at full price. Right after that I got the email with the discount coupon. I was highly pissed and I gave Cliff some flack for it and he did end up doing the right thing and crediting me $100. For that I will always have respect for him. So it appears he learned to not try to do any sort of "waiting list" or "discount list" this time and just announce the new product when it was ready. Now people are pissed about it. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

As far as the mods on the Fractal forum, yeah I pretty much gave up on posting there, unless I absolutely have to. If you have ANYTHING negative to say that isn't totally kissing Fractal's ass they will send you private PM's warning you of your insolence. I don't need that.

Shark Diver":3d4ra6my said:

Well- I appreciate your honesty on this.

ALSO: You guys that ARE really pissed off- not saying you're right or wrong but - what if it got bad with charge backs and it became unprofitable for Fractal to continue- we'd lose a true genius who has gotten beautiful tones and harmonic distortion out of Digital- no one wants that right ?

I mean we want this guy and his Company to Survive . Correct ?

Even though this is a complaint thread - I'm wondering if your tube preamps sound great when recorded using the Axe Fx Cab Impulses ?

I like the idea of having great EFX AND great Cab IRs in a hardware, non computer box for recording and the Axe 1 or Axe 2 is still cheaper than Torpedo ( although Torpedo does amp loading etc. )- so wonder what you think about that type of use. Or should I start a new thread for that?

the whole thing is kind of turning me off the axe.. i've had my ultra for 3-4 years now i think... since firmware 5ish.. loved the updates, it still sounds great to me, the effects are awesome.

I have a sour taste in my mouth from the way it was handled. Cliff saying exisiting owners will be happy too, and only providing a power amp update. All the hype pointed to a gnarly firmware with a Jose mod, some other amps, etc. A week ago the ultra was top dog, now it's being treated like a pod 2.0, which boggles my mind. Releasing a new product and abandonding the old products just seems like bad business. I also like the 10 day countdown, just enough time for people who just got a new one to have the trial period run out.... nice touch.

I've had a lot of loyalty towards the axe and cliff, but this has changed that. Not sure if i'll go to axe 2, it wont be for a while anyway as i'm happy with my tones i'm getting, and I have no need to have the latest and greatest.

Dave

It is easy for Cliff to make AXE 1 users happy. The new G2 fimware uses 40% per amp of the Tigersharc. Not enough for a dual amp setup on the old Axe 1. But enough to for 1 amp + fx -> Axe FX 2 lite.

If he offers it to the old users base, would be great. But he wants to sell his Axe 2 (new dongle).

Seems like customer loyalty was not considered in the surprise announcement for the Axe II.

Even the poorly run US automakers know customer loyalty is the only way they will ever sell the NEXT car to someone so they start advertising the new model way in advance....then they mark down the existing old models just to get rid of them when the new ones arrive.

If people were assured nothing was coming out, placed orders only to be surprised then that's deception plain and simple.

Such practices will come back on them whether they agree or not. There will eventually be additional serious competitors that Fractal will have to compete with.
In fact now would be an opportunity to capture some of the pissed off Fractal customers.

It's hard to say what drove this but being a finance person myself for several large companies, it is usually money that drives everything. I would be surprised if it wasn't what drove all of this.
Fractal wanted to get rid of obsolete inventory so they kept the new Axe a secret until the last minute. It's a win win for them if they can dump the old and immediately start selling the new model. It won't be so easy when there are more competitors to deal with. It may not happen tomorrow but it will happen someday, then Cliff or whoever makes such uncustomer friendly decisions will suffer accordingly. Now it seems they have a monopoly on high end modeling gear and a large crowd that can't get enough.

Never has so much e-drama surrounded the release of a new product.

Complaining that a used item is actually worth less money now? Welcome to capitalism.

I love you to death Vent, but I just couldn't read all that. I think when I realized you weren't going to talk about fractals as a mathematical construct or a visual effect, I just lost interest. Plus, I'm not in the Axe-Fx market anyway. I wonder what fractals sound like anyway? They look cool as hell. That could be a project for a future lifetime. Create an algorithm that allows you to Hear the Mandlebrot Set. I like it, but I already have enough good ideas to fill three lifetimes, and I mostly just jam, game, and watch tv.

I think Fractal should phase out the original units slower and still update the software from time to time for a while longer. Like Microsoft did for Windows XP, Windows 7 was out and they still updated XP quite regularly knowing that people still use it. To just drop the original units and not release any more updates is not keeping on good terms with the people that got Fractal to where they are now. Can't forget your past. It's not a $300 Pod that is-what-it-is....it's a $2000, highly updatable, software unit.

Randy Van Sykes":23q3usof said:
I think Fractal should phase out the original units slower and still update the software from time to time for a while longer. Like Microsoft did for Windows XP, Windows 7 was out and they still updated XP quite regularly knowing that people still use it. To just drop the original units and not release any more updates is not keeping on good terms with the people that got Fractal to where they are now. Can't forget your past. It's not a $300 Pod that is-what-it-is....it's a $2000, highly updatable, software unit.
I agree this would be the right thing to do.

Back