Suhr Eclipse

MrFlexx

I bought the Suhr Eclipse about 2 weeks ago and I have one word to cover it all: WOW!!! What an amazing pedal. I’ve owned tons of overdrive- and distortion pedals and this is hand down the best. I must admit I was a bit skeptical buying this pedal. But I was giving a trial period of 45 days to try it out on my amps and make up my mind and it didn’t take 45 seconds before it got me blown away. The first chord totally blew my mind. It was breathtaking.
This pedal made me abandon my modified Marshall JMP 2203 from 1982 that’s been my main amp for a quiet some time. This pedal can be dialed in to sound exactly as my Marshall but in a more versatile way. The EQ of this pedal is great. It’s extremely easy to dial in any tone you want to get out of it.

As you surely already know, this pedal has 2 channels so you can dial in 2 completely different tones. I use the Red Channel for a crunchy rhythm tone in the George Lynch territory. This is also great for crunchy blues lead tones by using only the volume control on the guitar. On the Blue Channel I dial in a similar tone but with a tad more mid, highs and gain, and a lower bass just a hunch. This for a more cutting lead sound.

What I love about this pedal is that it’s ridiculously dynamic. It’s like playing on a high quality boutique amp. I mostly dial in the gain in the 10-11 o’clock territory for my low/mid gain sounds and in the 11-13:00 o’clock for leads. And even one the higher settings I have no problem getting a fully clean sound by just rolling down the volume control on the guitar. It also response differently on how hard I pick. If I just barely pluck the strings using my fingers I get an almost clean sound. But If I pluck hard the tones pop out of the speakers making it feel like I’m kicked in the chest by a horse. This with full volume on my guitar. Amazing!

This pedal can get you anything from a mild boost to high gain heaven and all sounds in between. The Eclipse is so good that I’m thinking about getting another one to use on the same pedalboard. There’s so many great tones you can get out of this little red box of wonder.

Now for even more good stuff. It plays great with other pedals. If I kick in my Suhr Koko Boost with the clean boost setting on approximately 8:30 it makes the tone a bit thicker. Think a bit more of what’s already there. If I dial it in a bit higher at approximately 11 o’clock it pushes the Suhr Eclipse just like an amplifier giving you a bit more overdrive without squashing the sound. Then push the Mid Boost on the Suhr Koko Boost with the Mid Boost set to approximately 10:30 and you get screaming lead. So using the Suhr Eclipse together with the Suhr Koko Boost is like having a 4 channel high quality boutique amp.

Back