I really want a Diezel, but....

richedie

I keep hearing on message boards they get lost in a band mix because they are very scooped, modern sounding amps.
Now, the clips I hear are fantastic! I think an Einstein would compliment my collection which is a PWE Event Horizon and a 20th Ann Bogner Shiva with EL34s. I thought the Einstein would be great for aggressive modern tones, while still pulling off classic rock and clean tones. Please tell me I am right and the stories and reviews I read of people saying they are scooped and stiff are incorrect! I really like what I hear. I was also looking at Splawns, Fryettes, Elmwoods, Mesa Electra Dyne, etc. The Electra Dyne is pretty incredible I will admit.

Okay...I work at a rock club. The 3 best tones I have heard so far are:

Splawn Promod stereo wet/dry rig
Deizel Herbert/VH4 biamped rig
and the Axe Ultra through a Powerball.

But hands down it was the second listed. Crushed everything I have heard live to this point. Can't remember the band, but I did tell the guitarist his tone was crushing.

Herbert was the best stand-alone amp I've ever heard. But when it came down to playing in a band mix the Splawn Quick Rod stood head and shoulders above, as did the Jet City JCA100H and, in third place, the VH4 (EL34B instead of 6550). The Herbert got lost between the other guitarist and the bass. Had I been the only guitar in the band it might have been a different story. When rehearsing I now go back and forth between the Jet City amps (JCA100H, JCA100HDM) and my Splawn Nitro (EL34B). It's become brutally evident to me that there's a HUGE difference between "guitar" tone and "guitar with a band" tone. Just trying to find the sweet spot...

racerevlon":1qiz9025 said:
It's become brutally evident to me that there's a HUGE difference between "guitar" tone and "guitar with a band" tone. Just trying to find the sweet spot...

this is a very good point. i'd recommend trying the mesa stiletto (lead) with a mesa rectifier (rhythm) or marshall.

kim thayil is running mesa tremoverb (from badmotorfinger days) and mesa electra dyne nowadays.

rectifiers sound badass for metal (korn, gojira, etc.) but even with just the rhythm parts, it's hard to hear due to the emphasis on the low-mids and enhanced bass frequencies.

Playing a bunch of amps recently with a band at a few studios, I thought the Splawn QR was better than the Diezel Eienstein I tried. The Einstein was still great and you could hear it but not as thick on leads. My 20th Bogner Shiva with EL34s was just as good. I am so amazed with his Shiva and my PWE Event Horizon in a band mix! That said, the Mesa Royal Atlantic is also amazing!!!

That's because a lot of people don't know how to tweak their Herbert's. They abuse the mid boost quite a bit. Come on over to the diezel forum and we will change your mind very quickly!!!! Also check eBay. They currently have a Herbert on there for a great price!!

rabies":3b1wqb31 said:
racerevlon":3b1wqb31 said:
It's become brutally evident to me that there's a HUGE difference between "guitar" tone and "guitar with a band" tone. Just trying to find the sweet spot...

this is a very good point. i'd recommend trying the mesa stiletto (lead) with a mesa rectifier (rhythm) or marshall.

kim thayil is running mesa tremoverb (from badmotorfinger days) and mesa electra dyne nowadays.

rectifiers sound badass for metal (korn, gojira, etc.) but even with just the rhythm parts, it's hard to hear due to the emphasis on the low-mids and enhanced bass frequencies.

Great points guys....This is why I have trouble with my Recto...I love it on it's own...but with a 2 guitarist situation in my band...people at gigs tell me they couldn't hear me. Pisses me off.

I play a 100W Einstein into a 2x12 FL cab. And the other guitarist plays a Shiva 2x12 combo. Both can be heard just fine without one over powering the other. I don't know what the hell is wrong with you if your Einny is getting lost in the mix. Mine does modern and classic tones great too.

Are you looking for a more modern sound or something like a modded Marshall? Diezel does modern great (Get a VH4) and for modded Marshall go with a Splawn Quick Rod.

I've played 3 different Splawn QRs, and one of them was THE SHIT and the other 2 were meh. My single channel Splawn (the single channel QR, the name escapes me at the moment PRO MOD or PRO STOCK...can't remember) sounds good, but I got a Cameron Atomica recently that just kills, and I have a Friedman KS Marshall incoming which I expect will also be awesome. I own both 2 and 3 channel Recto heads, a Diezel Herbert, Mesa Mark III blue stripe, Marshall JMP and JCM 800 2203s with Egnater megadrive mods, Marshall JCM 900 SLX (a decent, basic amp for classic/80s rock) and I owned a VH4 for a little bit...so far Atomica wins hands down.

I just can't get over how pricey the Diezel is when compared to other amps in build quality and sound....I just can't justify the expense.

The build quality is amazing and used they are not that expensive I have a herbert and an einstien I had a. dekompression mod done from kruse Kontrol and I'm never lost in the mix.

I have two (D-Moll & Paul) and they both sound fantastic. I seldom have trouble hearing myself in a mix.

I have a VH4 and I can be heard just fine in the mix.
It really doesn't matter what amp you play its all in how you EQ the amp.
I played in a 3 piece band for years and had a really mid heavy tone . It sounded great stuck out in the mix .

Then I started playing with a band that had a 2nd guitar player and i was suddenly lost in the mix. I had to cut back on the mids and come up on the highs, Between the bass the other guitarist and the toms the mid freq is pretty much over run .

Don't blame the amp for not being heard

I'm going to take a different angle than splatter. IME, often the reason one guitar gets buried is because the OTHER guitar player has way too much bass and low mids because it sounds thicker to them. The bass is supposed to cover that territory imo.

That and dynamics...so many players are just bangin away at rhythm and loving their fat/thick tone while the audience is wondering why the solo isn't cutting. Typically they should turn down until they almost "can't even hear myself!"...perfect.

Is it obvious I'm not a huge fan of playing in 2 guitar bands? :LOL: :LOL:

Should rely on personal experiences and not what a bunch of strangers say on boards. Diezel is highly used in bands for a reason. Otherwise, company would’ve come and gone like any fad.

Back