Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Feb 05, 2016 6:54pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 1:47pm 
Supah Stah

I keep hearing on message boards they get lost in a band mix because they are very scooped, modern sounding amps.
Now, the clips I hear are fantastic! I think an Einstein would compliment my collection which is a PWE Event Horizon and a 20th Ann Bogner Shiva with EL34s. I thought the Einstein would be great for aggressive modern tones, while still pulling off classic rock and clean tones. Please tell me I am right and the stories and reviews I read of people saying they are scooped and stiff are incorrect! I really like what I hear. I was also looking at Splawns, Fryettes, Elmwoods, Mesa Electra Dyne, etc. The Electra Dyne is pretty incredible I will admit.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 4:13pm 
Supah Stah

So I guess they are right. :(

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 18, 2011 4:19pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I think you need to have this in the Diezel forum.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 20, 2011 11:35pm 
Rock God

Okay...I work at a rock club. The 3 best tones I have heard so far are:

Splawn Promod stereo wet/dry rig
Deizel Herbert/VH4 biamped rig
and the Axe Ultra through a Powerball.

But hands down it was the second listed. Crushed everything I have heard live to this point. Can't remember the band, but I did tell the guitarist his tone was crushing.

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 20, 2011 11:53pm 
Supah Stah

Herbert was the best stand-alone amp I've ever heard. But when it came down to playing in a band mix the Splawn Quick Rod stood head and shoulders above, as did the Jet City JCA100H and, in third place, the VH4 (EL34B instead of 6550). The Herbert got lost between the other guitarist and the bass. Had I been the only guitar in the band it might have been a different story. When rehearsing I now go back and forth between the Jet City amps (JCA100H, JCA100HDM) and my Splawn Nitro (EL34B). It's become brutally evident to me that there's a HUGE difference between "guitar" tone and "guitar with a band" tone. Just trying to find the sweet spot...

http://www.facebook.com/audiokill.la
-----------------------
Good deals with: JB6464, tom_h, mechanyx, bubbastain, jid, splawner, studio289, jmgman69 (x2), santellavision1, oldmanmetal, Scuba200ft, bognerluv, the4thlast1, 232cap, hthomas, Fretburner, PaulyPanacea, drewiv, gbsmusic, retrojet, Docster, Spaceboy, crwnedblasphemy, tonmazz, rezamatix, londaxe, just42dave (x3), mystidream
Play it cuz you love it!!!

My Recommendations
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Splawn Amplification -- Awesome Modded Marshall Tones --http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm
Jet City Amplification -- Awesome Soldano Tones -- http://www.jetcityamplification.com/
WhiteBox Quality Guitar Cabinets -- Well-built USA Cabinets -- http://www.whiteboxeng.com/

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 23, 2011 2:05pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

racerevlon wrote:
It's become brutally evident to me that there's a HUGE difference between "guitar" tone and "guitar with a band" tone. Just trying to find the sweet spot...

this is a very good point. i'd recommend trying the mesa stiletto (lead) with a mesa rectifier (rhythm) or marshall.

kim thayil is running mesa tremoverb (from badmotorfinger days) and mesa electra dyne nowadays.

rectifiers sound badass for metal (korn, gojira, etc.) but even with just the rhythm parts, it's hard to hear due to the emphasis on the low-mids and enhanced bass frequencies.

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 03, 2011 12:42pm 
Supah Stah

Playing a bunch of amps recently with a band at a few studios, I thought the Splawn QR was better than the Diezel Eienstein I tried. The Einstein was still great and you could hear it but not as thick on leads. My 20th Bogner Shiva with EL34s was just as good. I am so amazed with his Shiva and my PWE Event Horizon in a band mix! That said, the Mesa Royal Atlantic is also amazing!!!

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 03, 2012 7:21pm 
Journeyman NOOB

That's because a lot of people don't know how to tweak their Herbert's. They abuse the mid boost quite a bit. Come on over to the diezel forum and we will change your mind very quickly!!!! Also check eBay. They currently have a Herbert on there for a great price!!

Diezel Herbert
Korg Pitch Black Tuner Pedal
Genz Benz Ported G Flex 2x12 Cab (Celstion V30 & G12T-75)
ISP Steve Lukather 15" Powered Subwoofer

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 05, 2012 4:17pm 
Rock God

rabies wrote:
racerevlon wrote:
It's become brutally evident to me that there's a HUGE difference between "guitar" tone and "guitar with a band" tone. Just trying to find the sweet spot...

this is a very good point. i'd recommend trying the mesa stiletto (lead) with a mesa rectifier (rhythm) or marshall.

kim thayil is running mesa tremoverb (from badmotorfinger days) and mesa electra dyne nowadays.

rectifiers sound badass for metal (korn, gojira, etc.) but even with just the rhythm parts, it's hard to hear due to the emphasis on the low-mids and enhanced bass frequencies.

Great points guys....This is why I have trouble with my Recto...I love it on it's own...but with a 2 guitarist situation in my band...people at gigs tell me they couldn't hear me. Pisses me off.

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 22, 2012 2:24pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I play a 100W Einstein into a 2x12 FL cab. And the other guitarist plays a Shiva 2x12 combo. Both can be heard just fine without one over powering the other. I don't know what the hell is wrong with you if your Einny is getting lost in the mix. Mine does modern and classic tones great too.

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 22, 2012 2:43pm 
Supah Stah

Are you looking for a more modern sound or something like a modded Marshall? Diezel does modern great (Get a VH4) and for modded Marshall go with a Splawn Quick Rod.

http://www.facebook.com/audiokill.la
-----------------------
Good deals with: JB6464, tom_h, mechanyx, bubbastain, jid, splawner, studio289, jmgman69 (x2), santellavision1, oldmanmetal, Scuba200ft, bognerluv, the4thlast1, 232cap, hthomas, Fretburner, PaulyPanacea, drewiv, gbsmusic, retrojet, Docster, Spaceboy, crwnedblasphemy, tonmazz, rezamatix, londaxe, just42dave (x3), mystidream
Play it cuz you love it!!!

My Recommendations
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Splawn Amplification -- Awesome Modded Marshall Tones --http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm
Jet City Amplification -- Awesome Soldano Tones -- http://www.jetcityamplification.com/
WhiteBox Quality Guitar Cabinets -- Well-built USA Cabinets -- http://www.whiteboxeng.com/

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 13, 2013 5:45am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I've played 3 different Splawn QRs, and one of them was THE SHIT and the other 2 were meh. My single channel Splawn (the single channel QR, the name escapes me at the moment PRO MOD or PRO STOCK...can't remember) sounds good, but I got a Cameron Atomica recently that just kills, and I have a Friedman KS Marshall incoming which I expect will also be awesome. I own both 2 and 3 channel Recto heads, a Diezel Herbert, Mesa Mark III blue stripe, Marshall JMP and JCM 800 2203s with Egnater megadrive mods, Marshall JCM 900 SLX (a decent, basic amp for classic/80s rock) and I owned a VH4 for a little bit...so far Atomica wins hands down.

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 21, 2014 8:28am 
Apprentice NOOB

I just can't get over how pricey the Diezel is when compared to other amps in build quality and sound....I just can't justify the expense.

PostPosted: Fri, May 15, 2015 1:56pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The build quality is amazing and used they are not that expensive I have a herbert and an einstien I had a. dekompression mod done from kruse Kontrol and I'm never lost in the mix.

PostPosted: Mon, May 18, 2015 11:10am 
Apprentice NOOB

A buddy has a Diezel and it sounds incredible!