MESA/Boogie JP2C

Markedman

The good, the bad and the ugly. First of all, cross off the ugly as this amp is beautiful in appearance from front to back, especially from the back with it's massive power transformer, cab-clone and midi. The bad, it is not a bedroom amplifier. This amp is meant for one thing and one thing only - play it loud or not at all. As with original Mark IIC+ amps, of which I own a simul-class C++, these amps need to be at "chainsaw" volume level or they sound strained and muted. This is an extremely aggressive amp in "shred mode" and the presence knob pulled with the classic Boogie V GEQ curve. No boost pedal required. The GEQ's are more powerful than the Mark V's and can be set with a toggle switch on each channel to GEQ1, GEQ2 or off with selection via foot switch.
There are so many options in gain structure on channels 2 & 3, pulling off classic rock tones is a breeze and if metal is your game, the sound of Pantera, Metallica or Testament is easy to obtain. I use the GEQ1 as a tone shaper for ch. 2&3 and GEQ2 as a lead boost with ch.3 significantly higher in gain than ch.2. Ch.1 is by far my favorite clean channel ever from any amp I've owned. It can get gritty or it can be squeaky clean with the mid control becoming a gain boost after 12 o'clock on the dial.
This amp is at the head of the MESA/Boogie line due directly to the dual GEQ's, gain structure options, power headroom and midi/cab-clone features. Those features alone should be incorporated into all amps, but MESA also included the best part with this amp, it sounds exactly like the holy grail itself, the Mark IIC+.

Markedman":3syo9vy8 said:
The good, the bad and the ugly. First of all, cross off the ugly as this amp is beautiful in appearance from front to back, especially from the back with it's massive power transformer, cab-clone and midi. The bad, it is not a bedroom amplifier. This amp is meant for one thing and one thing only - play it loud or not at all. As with original Mark IIC+ amps, of which I own a simul-class C++, these amps need to be at "chainsaw" volume level or they sound strained and muted. This is an extremely aggressive amp in "shred mode" and the presence knob pulled with the classic Boogie V GEQ curve. No boost pedal required. The GEQ's are more powerful than the Mark V's and can be set with a toggle switch on each channel to GEQ1, GEQ2 or off with selection via foot switch.
There are so many options in gain structure on channels 2 & 3, pulling off classic rock tones is a breeze and if metal is your game, the sound of Pantera, Metallica or Testament is easy to obtain. I use the GEQ1 as a tone shaper for ch. 2&3 and GEQ2 as a lead boost with ch.3 significantly higher in gain than ch.2. Ch.1 is by far my favorite clean channel ever from any amp I've owned. It can get gritty or it can be squeaky clean with the mid control becoming a gain boost after 12 o'clock on the dial.
This amp is at the head of the MESA/Boogie line due directly to the dual GEQ's, gain structure options, power headroom and midi/cab-clone features. Those features alone should be incorporated into all amps, but MESA also included the best part with this amp, it sounds exactly like the holy grail itself, the Mark IIC+.

I own this amp as well. I agree with everything you said. It is truly the best amp I have ever owned. I can literally get any tone I want.
The only thing is I wish they would have added is an effects button on the foot pedal.

Since this just popped up now I’ll ask. Do you still feel this way all this time later ?

Since this just popped up now I’ll ask. Do you still feel this way all this time later ?
I'd like to know too.

Just got a brand new one from Pit Bull Audio. The jury of my mind is still deliberating on the final verdict. It could be a mistrial. We'll see......it will be fun experimenting with it over time. My Wizards, SLO-100, Friedman, Mesa MKIV have the bar set pretty high.

Time will tell...............
POFyItl.jpg
BSL5GGl.jpg
TSkzTpn.jpg

oPkJLmn.gif
bCYtOSE.jpg
BvcZ09w.jpg
VBcFZZm.jpg
t1lU7B1.jpg
YreSSHF.jpg
Z0Lw1Dj.jpg
8xCJvC6.jpg
UrK19bl.jpg
cNkQXMz.jpg

I'd like to know too.

Just got a brand new one from Pit Bull Audio. The jury of my mind is still deliberating on the final verdict. It could be a mistrial. We'll see......it will be fun experimenting with it over time. My Wizards, SLO-100, Friedman, Mesa MKIV have the bar set pretty high.

Time will tell...............
POFyItl.jpg
BSL5GGl.jpg
TSkzTpn.jpg

oPkJLmn.gif
bCYtOSE.jpg
BvcZ09w.jpg
VBcFZZm.jpg
t1lU7B1.jpg
YreSSHF.jpg
Z0Lw1Dj.jpg
8xCJvC6.jpg
UrK19bl.jpg
cNkQXMz.jpg
Definitely keep me updated . I have not found an original yet but might finally bite on one of these

Definitely keep me updated . I have not found an original yet but might finally bite on one of these
Well............it just wasn't for me. As far as the high-gain part of the amp, to my hearing, it sounded great all by itself loud/at band volume. Many amps do. In a couple of different bands I couldn't get the sound I liked as in bandmix. I spent a lot of time with EQ settings, different cabs/speakers, rolled power and preamp tubes until my patience finally vanished.

I told myself don't overthink it. It's not the amp for me.

The clean channel really sounded good too.

Thing for me was it is a great sounding amp all around. From what I was hearing it sounded to me that they spent a lot of time with the design. It sounds like nothing they've ever made. Maybe that's the big draw or hype about it. I kept reading all the write-ups about it over the years and it seemed to be a hot item for a while.

I figured what the hell, I was waiting on one of the 90W MKV's. I'll try the JP.

I ended up dissappointed in myself for making a bad choice. I seldom sell or trade an amp, which is also a problem because I am not alloting anymore room in my house for gear. It's just stupid for an old fossil like me having all this stuff.

As far as the amp though, I think the sound of my old Mesa's are burned so deep in my mind nothing else will work when it comes to a Mesa MK. I could not get the bark and bite I'm used to hearing in my MKI and MKIV-A.

I've had my MKV now for a few months. I've also noticed the same thing about it, and a MKV 35 I had for a short time.

I think I've reached the "don't waste any more money on amps" stage.

So far what works for me are Matchless, SLO, Friedman, Wizard, and a couple of vintage Mesa MK's.

Time to quit wasting time and $$ on this stuff for a while and simply enjoy what I have.

Look for a MKV 90W Combo up for sale in a few months.......maybe. I bought it brand new in JAN, and just got a Studio Slips cover for it. Still have the original box, packing, and unopened Swag that comes with a new Mesa. It will be for a fair price in mint condition. I have not registered the amp yet with Mesa. I think they have a 5yr warranty on their new amps.

Well............it just wasn't for me. As far as the high-gain part of the amp, to my hearing, it sounded great all by itself loud/at band volume. Many amps do. In a couple of different bands I couldn't get the sound I liked as in bandmix. I spent a lot of time with EQ settings, different cabs/speakers, rolled power and preamp tubes until my patience finally vanished.

I told myself don't overthink it. It's not the amp for me.

The clean channel really sounded good too.

Thing for me was it is a great sounding amp all around. From what I was hearing it sounded to me that they spent a lot of time with the design. It sounds like nothing they've ever made. Maybe that's the big draw or hype about it. I kept reading all the write-ups about it over the years and it seemed to be a hot item for a while.

I figured what the hell, I was waiting on one of the 90W MKV's. I'll try the JP.

I ended up dissappointed in myself for making a bad choice. I seldom sell or trade an amp, which is also a problem because I am not alloting anymore room in my house for gear. It's just stupid for an old fossil like me having all this stuff.

As far as the amp though, I think the sound of my old Mesa's are burned so deep in my mind nothing else will work when it comes to a Mesa MK. I could not get the bark and bite I'm used to hearing in my MKI and MKIV-A.

I've had my MKV now for a few months. I've also noticed the same thing about it, and a MKV 35 I had for a short time.

I think I've reached the "don't waste any more money on amps" stage.

So far what works for me are Matchless, SLO, Friedman, Wizard, and a couple of vintage Mesa MK's.

Time to quit wasting time and $$ on this stuff for a while and simply enjoy what I have.

Look for a MKV 90W Combo up for sale in a few months.......maybe. I bought it brand new in JAN, and just got a Studio Slips cover for it. Still have the original box, packing, and unopened Swag that comes with a new Mesa. It will be for a fair price in mint condition. I have not registered the amp yet with Mesa. I think they have a 5yr warranty on their new amps.
I’ve heard this a lot lately. Especially about the new marks missing the bite of the old . Thanks for the reviews . This is actually helps a lot . I still never bought a JP2C and I still have my mk3 ++green stripe that I absolutely love

I’ve heard this a lot lately. Especially about the new marks missing the bite of the old . Thanks for the reviews . This is actually helps a lot . I still never bought a JP2C and I still have my mk3 ++green stripe that I absolutely love
Well thank you for commenting it helps me too.

After all these years there are times when I don't trust what I hear either. Too many times I really think I have something figured out, only to stumble across something that defies what I believe. That statement is vague and mealy mouthed....yes. Just didn't want to write one of those highly detailed novels that annoys people and takes up space. There's a lot more in my head, I just spare it out of respect unless someone asks something very specific, and it applies.

I will say...........I think Mesa got so many complaints about the Marks in general being difficult to get certain sounds people were looking for, maybe they changed things up a bit. Again, just a wild-ass guess. Because to my ears, the MKV 25, 35, 90 & JP2C don't sound like any of the Marks before it.

Based on what little I really know about the changes they made to the new Marks, I can't believe there could be such a wide span of performance in tubes, transformers, and everything else sourced to make a Mark (XX) amp 20-30yrs ago, but who really knows? I surely don't. But that's also all I can figure. One opposing example comes to mind, Matchless amps. All mine are Phil Jamison era amps, and I can play one from Mark Sampson era and not tell much difference (1992 C30 vs 2012 C30 for example) besides the obvious things you'd expect like component values drifting with age and use.

My MKIV A and MKI reissue have a rawer cutting sound that I didn't hear in the JP2C, or any new iteration of MKV I've played so far.

The new Marks don't sound bad at all. They in fact sound very good, but just different.

It bugs the hell out of me and I wish I didn't notice it.

Well thank you for commenting it helps me too.

After all these years there are times when I don't trust what I hear either. Too many times I really think I have something figured out, only to stumble across something that defies what I believe. That statement is vague and mealy mouthed....yes. Just didn't want to write one of those highly detailed novels that annoys people and takes up space. There's a lot more in my head, I just spare it out of respect unless someone asks something very specific, and it applies.

I will say...........I think Mesa got so many complaints about the Marks in general being difficult to get certain sounds people were looking for, maybe they changed things up a bit. Again, just a wild-ass guess. Because to my ears, the MKV 25, 35, 90 & JP2C don't sound like any of the Marks before it.

Based on what little I really know about the changes they made to the new Marks, I can't believe there could be such a wide span of performance in tubes, transformers, and everything else sourced to make a Mark (XX) amp 20-30yrs ago, but who really knows? I surely don't. But that's also all I can figure. One opposing example comes to mind, Matchless amps. All mine are Phil Jamison era amps, and I can play one from Mark Sampson era and not tell much difference (1992 C30 vs 2012 C30 for example) besides the obvious things you'd expect like component values drifting with age and use.

My MKIV A and MKI reissue have a rawer cutting sound that I didn't hear in the JP2C, or any new iteration of MKV I've played so far.

The new Marks don't sound bad at all. They in fact sound very good, but just different.

It bugs the hell out of me and I wish I didn't notice it.
I totally hear it . I have a mark V as well and it’s not as huge and full . It sounds like a tame mark IV to my ears . I also question why it’s so hard to get near so old marks ? Probably just thought hey we improved the amps but the customers don’t agree with the changes

I totally hear it . I have a mark V as well and it’s not as huge and full . It sounds like a tame mark IV to my ears . I also question why it’s so hard to get near so old marks ? Probably just thought hey we improved the amps but the customers don’t agree with the changes
Still working with the MKV. I'll give it a couple of years. Been back and forth about selling it. Thought about asking Mike Bendinelli at Mesa how much of this is imagined, as in my head. If anyone can tell me, he should be able to. He's been their chief tech on the Marks there since the MKI. But it would be putting him on the spot, and I don't know him well enough personally to expect a useful answer.

Just picked up my second 1990's MKIV Revision A combo. The chassis is at Petaluma now. Mike is working his magic to restore it electrically to it's original performance. It's rumored he will retire soon. He's the only one I trust these days with the Vintage Marks. The only one who knows them better is Randal. Even the MKIV's can be a pain in the ass to work on. They're just so tightly packed. There are so many hacks out there listed as Mesa authorized service centers. I've seen and experienced their shoddy work. And this is on simple things I could have done myself, but was too lazy, and impatient.

This is my first Rev A I got back from Mesa earlier in the year. I told them spare no expense bringing it back to spec. Re-capped of course, usual cleaning and replacement of anything that could not be repaired/salvaged. Although not all the tubes needed replaced, I did anyway. Sounds glorious with a quad of my STR 415's I stashed up with from back in the late 1980's when no one ever thought they would no longer be made. People laughed at me back them for buying 20 of them. They're not laughing now.

vY6k24F.jpg

I believe Mesa's best days are behind them with the sale to Gibson. I still can't believe of all people they sold to a bunch of company killing grifters like Gibson. Gibson is the touch of death. Definitely a nail in the ole coffin.

Back