Fryette Sig X

Since nobody here mentioned this i figure id chime in.. This amp loves the fryette P50's in particular a fatbottom cab if possible, I also tried it with a Mesa OS cab and Engl pro 2x12 with V30s.
At the time i owned this amp i also had a MarkV and an Engl Invader. I classified them this way: Sig was like an Old HOTROD Camaro- cool well built, solid does what it does best in a straight line. MarkV- was a bit more like a Dodge Viper, high tech power hungry, american made with nice creature comforts, The Engl.. Like a nice Porsche, shiny and smooth with options up the A++.
Ultimately, unable to decide I let the market dictate which I'd keep.. MarkV sold first, then the Engl (probably due to the price tag)was next and when I was left with the Sig, I accepted it as my own. Paired with its Fatbottom, A nice rig in its own right.
There was one problem.. the clean channel. It does NOT match output with either of the other two channels. If you try, you get the gain introduction and then it is no longer the clean channel. I researched this and what I found was that others also had an issue with this. Fryette said the circuit was designed that way, because guitar players dont use their volume knob anymore// Steve was making us play the way he wanted to.. roll the knob down he says.. ok but what about when i go right back to my rhythm metal tone? Its the same problem, now im quickly rolling the volume back up, so my output is right for the other channel.. In the end you had to play the amp at such a low level to get unity gain on all channels, that you ended up missing out on the power section that made the lead channels so good.. Frustrating. I suppose that if you primarily play one channel its fine. On a side note i also read that some had resorted to tuning the gain all the way down on channel 2 and basically trying to flip 1&2 in order to have a matching signal level with channel three lead.. But, thats not what I wanted my signature amp to do, so i moved on. Great build quality, slow email response.. tough to get on the phone for sure..(i needed handle) But a unique voice for sure..

If you set the switches on the clean channel to "100 watt" and "Open" you can get a fair amount of headroom..... But still going to break up as you turn it up at some point. I can get it to balance with the other two channels when set this way with my rig. But it does not work for everyones taste in how they set up the other channels. It has never been a problem for me..... But have read of others having that problem.

Absolutely love Fryette. Used my Pitbull CL 100 for a bunch of gigs but when I moved on to the Sig X the band dissolved, great amp/

Excuse the lack of knowledge - Is the Sig X meant to be their amp that does it all? By the looks the Deliverance and Pittbulls are a bit more area focused, where the Sig X seems to be able to do anything and everything. Always bee keen on the VHT/Fryettes, and hear great things about the Pittbull UL's.

All the Fryette amps can be used for any style of music... They all have a very wide range of sounds. The Sig X gives more control over the sound than most amps.

:) I make the same offer to everyone. I know how difficult it can be to find gear sometimes.

I have had this amp since the spring of 2008. I like it now better than when I wrote the review. Even with all the controls it is easy to control once you learn how the controls interact. I can get it to get very close to the sound of many amps.... When doing a direct A/B in the room...... And like the name says I can get the amp to get my own sound. I use a pretty wide variety of sounds and this allows me to get what I need with a single amp. No amp is for everyone..... But this one works great for me.

stephen sawall":ohcm3ci1 said:
:) I make the same offer to everyone. I know how difficult it can be to find gear sometimes.

I have had this amp since the spring of 2008. I like it now better than when I wrote the review. Even with all the controls it is easy to control once you learn how the controls interact. I can get it to get very close to the sound of many amps.... When doing a direct A/B in the room...... And like the name says I can get the amp to get my own sound. I use a pretty wide variety of sounds and this allows me to get what I need with a single amp. No amp is for everyone..... But this one works great for me.

Found one for sale mate haha, days after i impulse bought myself an ENGL Savage. Guy wants to swap my 60w fireball and 1500 AUD for it... Seriously considering it haha.

I would go try it if you can before you buy it..... We all have different taste in gear. Same as anything else in life.

Love it or hate it..... Feel free to post your opinion here.

I see you are into metal, I recommend using these setting on the Lead and Rhythm channels. Adjust the Presence and Depth first..... Then adjust the midrange. I like these with the Live, Burn and Brit, Blow on the voicing switches. These are both sounds I use for playing rhythm.
.....O'Clock .....

Gain I - 3:00
Gain II - 5:00
Boost On
More Mode
100W
Master - 9:00 ~ 10:00
Wood
Treb - 3:00
Mid - 9:00
Bass - 3:00
Pres - 2:00 ~ 4:00
Depth - 2:00

This is just a starting point to get you in that range. Your guitar and cab is going to have a strong effect on the sound..... So you might need to change them a lot. But this is where I start for heavy stuff....... For playing leads I tend to turn the midrange from noon to full range. Just a suggestion....

By those settings it seems as though because it's quite a raw, aggressive tone that you need the bass/lows/depth/saturation a little higher to compensate and give the tone a bit more shape. I have heard a few things that sounded nice and aggressive, but also really thin. So i imagine that's to do with that. The guy is coming to my house so i will be able to put it through my own cab which will help.

I normally throw everything to about 12 o'clock and wangle my way around from there, but i'll give that a crack :)

Thanks heaps mate

Noon is always a good place to start with this amp.....These setting have worked good for me with several guitars and cabs. The amp works good with a boost....But I usually do not use one. All the knobs work throughout the entire range..... Unlike a lot of amps where there is sweet spots..... So anything goes. The Sig X tends to stay articulate and defined with a lot of dynamics no mater how you set it.

That's good, i find most other amps start at the opposite end. As in, too much low end and saturation and you are trying to tighten up the tone and struggling. I'd prefer to start the other way, with everything (even overly) articulate and sharp and trying to add a little depth into it. I've got a Maxon od808x which i find has a nice boost, especially in the mid range.

GainI and the three way Voicing switch next to it have a strong effect on the tone. GainII has no effec on tone. Just be aware of that as you are setting it up. You will get a general idea of the overall sound of the amp and know if it fits you or not trying it out. It takes some time to learn how everything interacts.

Yeah, i think even when you first plug into something and start, with the first few little bits of tinkering you do, you get a fast idea if it's gonna be what you are after. I'll keep you updated and let you know how i go :) I'm sure i'll love it... My pockets are hoping i dont though ahah. I'm expecting my Savage to arrive today or tomorrow.

Back