Manlius Asphalt Pickups?

HRandHM97

Who here has some experience with these pickups? I'm getting a new pickup set to replace my JB/59 set and I'm considering these manlius pickups! Anyone have any positive or negative comments? Other recommendations? I want something hotter and tighter than the JB but still having a lot of mids. What I want out of a neck pickup is something good for high-gain soloing and cleans. I mainly play Thrash, Hair Metal, Progressive Metal, and some Avenged sevenfold. My guitar is a Jackson Soloist.

I have one and I love it. I have a few of his winds actually and they are all great. I like the JB but the asphalt is clearer and smoother to my ears. Pretty tight as well. Could likely be the right pickup for your needs. The big issue with passives is that they sound different in different guitars. Tell Mick (at Manlius) what you are looking for and he will steer you in the right direction. He is a nice person with fair prices and fast turnaround.

Laura":28bn1hw6 said:
I have one and I love it. I have a few of his winds actually and they are all great. I like the JB but the asphalt is clearer and smoother to my ears. Pretty tight as well. Could likely be the right pickup for your needs. The big issue with passives is that they sound different in different guitars. Tell Mick (at Manlius) what you are looking for and he will steer you in the right direction. He is a nice person with fair prices and fast turnaround.

I've seen your videos with it on youtube! And yeah I've talked to him and I'm torn between getting the standard asphalt and one with a ceramic magnet. I do really like the way it sounds in your Les Paul. Do you think that it's good for really fast, tight thrash? Like Slayer, Megadeth, stuff like that? My gripe with my JB is that it isn't very tight when I'm in Eb or D tuning... And I've heard great thins about his pickups

HRandHM97":141hxki6 said:
Laura":141hxki6 said:

I've seen your videos with it on youtube! And yeah I've talked to him and I'm torn between getting the standard asphalt and one with a ceramic magnet. I do really like the way it sounds in your Les Paul. Do you think that it's good for really fast, tight thrash? Like Slayer, Megadeth, stuff like that? My gripe with my JB is that it isn't very tight when I'm in Eb or D tuning... And I've heard great thins about his pickups
Yeah I tune a half step down and it works great for thrash. I don't like a super tight low end and this pickup is a little tighter than some others that I have. Works great in my LP.

Laura":2w8z9209 said:
Yeah I tune a half step down and it works great for thrash. I don't like a super tight low end and this pickup is a little tighter than some others that I have. Works great in my LP.

Hmm, well I think your sound is probably tight enough for my needs. At least through your Deizel. I really love your tone so I might be sold on that one! How does this compare to say a Suhr Aldrich?

HRandHM97":68fo90w8 said:
Laura":68fo90w8 said:

Hmm, well I think your sound is probably tight enough for my needs. At least through your Deizel. I really love your tone so I might be sold on that one! How does this compare to say a Suhr Aldrich?
The Aldrich is pretty tight but a but not as clear. I think the asphalt is tighter overall. I love the Aldrich too and have them in a few guitars.

Laura":21pov02n said:
The Aldrich is pretty tight but a but not as clear. I think the asphalt is tighter overall. I love the Aldrich too and have them in a few guitars.
Hmm, think I'm going with the Asphalt!

Laura":2snk5sxb said:
Any chance of you ever doing a comparison of both on YouTube?

HRandHM97":1lcbz28c said:
Laura":1lcbz28c said:
Any chance of you ever doing a comparison of both on YouTube?
I can try but they would be in different guitars.

Back