Duncan Distortion versus Screaming Demon

Progbusters

I initially thought both sounded slightly similar. But started noticing similarities even with just YouTube reviews online.... I've had the Sreaming Demon since 1997.

Well I got the TB-6 for the bridge of my RG. it replaces my Seymour Duncan TB-12 George Lynch Screaming Demon.

They're different. Firstly, the Duncan Distortion is higher output, meaning louder. It seems to work well from the low end for riffs. The Lynch is more mids and highs. The TB6 has a more muted sound but it can be pushed to scream. The Lynch is piercing high already. it seems to me the Lynch is great for singing leads and letting power chords ring. THe DD can do that but you can also riff faster and more aggressively - which is the reason why I got this pickup.

My Lynch pickup seems to have a horn like honking sound when I play riffs in the middle of the fretboard. It gives character when soloing but annoys me when chugging along.

On the neck, I have an old SD alnico2 pro. With the Lynch there didn't seem to be any harmony between the two. playing both together sounded like halfway between the two. With the DD, playing both together sounds almost like the sweet position 2 of a Strat. I can also split the coil in my guitar. The Lynch sounded like a single coil Strat bridge. the DD in my first impression sounded like a P90 but don't quote me on that cuz I didn't spend too much time on it.

Well as you mention that you got the TB-6 for the bridge of my RG and it replaces your Seymour Duncan TB-12 George Lynch Screaming Demon and you have it since 1997 so you have great experience of this great Demon. I am very glad to read your post.

oh thanks all. hope you like them. i'm just learning now how to self-install and optimize my pickups. I have since moved my TB-12 to another guitar and tweaked it to sound great. Its a vintage superstrat made of mahogany (I think) and maple bolt on neck. The sounds is great.

I will next try to optimize my duncan distortion, adjusting pickup height and pole pieces and make sure my connections are true, using a multimeter and my improved soldering skills. On the Seymour Duncan forum it has been suggested that the DD can sing if needed.

I have had a screaming demon in one of my Kramers since some time in the early to mid 90's
I can't remember ? I know I loved it when cranked !
Truly the guitar has a broken string and it has been so long since I played it I can't remember what it sounds like ? Lol
I think I better dig it out n fix the string !!!

So I fixed the broken string and pulled it out n dusted it off .
It is killer for pinch harmonics and very fat sounding to me very chunky Rythem to my ears .
I do think it screams when you dig in with your vibrato !!
Not a high output pickup though .
Now either the pot or jack is having issues !!
Doh !!

The SD Screamin' Demon is one hell of a neck pickup in my 1974 Gibson LPC and 2007 Epiphone LPC.
They sound great with a high powered humbucker in the bridge, like Dimarzio Evolution, SD JB pickup, a Dragonfire Alnico 5 Screamer in the bridge.

The Screamin Demon sounds better if you drop in a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot pickup ring and kick in an acoustic simulator .... very convincing acoustic guitar sound when playing songs like Diary of an Madman or Fade To Black .

Thanks for posting this I am thinking about putting a TB-6 in my Jackson and this is the type of info I was looking for

I've never tried a Duncan Distortion. I want to someday though. I did just snag a JB the other day.

Back