Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

James Lugo

Well after reading a million posts and listening to a million clips I've come to the conclusion that I have to do this myself on a bit of a bigger scale. So I have just ordered a number of popular pickups and own a number myself and basically one day next week, when everything arrives I'm hiring a tech for a day and we are going to track my Les Paul with all the pickups, so a day of ripping guitars apart. I will record everything. Mark Cameron emailed and may want to help me with this.

Pickups so far:
WCR - Godwood - (Delivered)
WCR - Fillmore - (Delivered)
WCR - IronMan - (Delivered)

WCR - Darkburst - (Delivered)
Motor City - 2nd Degree Black Belt (Delivered)
ThroBak - SLE-101 Plus Ltd - (Delivered)
Motor City - Afwayu - (Delivered)
Motor City - Solutions - (Delivered)
Wolfetone - Marshallhead - (Delivered)
Rio Grande - BBQ - (Delivered)
Bareknuckle - Rebel Yell - (Delivered)
Suhr - Aldrich - (Delivered)
Suhr - SSH - (Delivered)

PMP (Precision Musical Products) - VTJ-111 - (Delivered)
PMP (Precision Musical Products) - Prototype - (Delivered)
Walker Pickups - El Presidente - (Delivered)
Walker Pickups - Dictator - (Delivered)
Walker Pickups - HTG - (Delivered)
Patrick Nowlan - (Delivered)

Gibson - 57 Classic Plus - (Delivered)
Gibson - BurstBucker Pro - (Delivered)
Gibson - 498T - (Delivered)
Duncan - Custom5 - (Delivered)
Duncan - Custom - (Delivered)
Duncan - JB - (Delivered)

Duncan - Pearly Gates - (Delivered)
DiMarzio - Super Distortion - (Delivered)
Holmes H455 - (Delivered)

If anyone is in the LA area and wants to come by that is cool. My studio is on the corner of Hollywood/Caheunga, tons of guitars, amp, cabs, mics, pres etc... All the good SHIT!

If anyone wants to send a pup to be used that's cool to. Manufactures are welcome to, we will be focusing on bridge pickups for Les Pauls.

I run gearslutz.com and host some of the biggest most famous shootouts in pro audio history, so the shootout will be top shelf and your gear will be treated like gold, I will pay for shipping both ways. Let me know if you want a pup of yours in the shootout. The more the merrier, looking for Bareknuckles, ThroBak, Rio Gande, Wolfetone etc....

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho ... files.html

If you want to send a pup email me asap:
james@jameslugo.com

If anyone is shipping can you email me a tracking number so I have someone at the studio to sign:
Ship to:
James Lugo
6381 Hollywood Blvd Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90028

I know a lot of ppl here don't like EMG's...but I think for sanity's sake...you should wire up a EMG 81, 85, 81X, and 85X in the bridge of that LP and see how she rips!

I'd like to hear how the EMG's stand up next to the Suhrs...WCR's...MCP's...and how the 81 and 81x sound compared to each other...and the 85 / 85x sound compared to each on the bridge pickups!

aeroic":hqk8bq2j said:
I know a lot of ppl here don't like EMG's...but I think for sanity's sake...you should wire up a EMG 81, 85, 81X, and 85X in the bridge of that LP and see how she rips!

I'd like to hear how the EMG's stand up next to the Suhrs...WCR's...MCP's...and how the 81 and 81x sound compared to each other...and the 85 / 85x sound compared to each on the bridge pickups!

i agree with this. maybe add some SD blackouts just to compare the two "major" active brands.

If anyone is shipping can you email me a tracking number so I have someone at the studio to sign

james@jameslugo.com

Ship to:
James Lugo
6381 Hollywood Blvd Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90028

cell: 818 259 0190

Very, very, very intriguing. I'm looking to maybe put new pickups in my PRS Custom 24 (medium-high gain output) - this is just what I need to help pick! Can you try to track down a set of WCR Shredders? I hear those are rare, but extremely versatile.

aeroic":1nozl0gg said:

++++1,000,000,000,000,000,000 YES YES YES

Will this be a bridge only test, or in the neck position also???

Back