Killer Guitar Components (KGC) Custom Sustain Block

moltenmetalburn

I have an Ibanez RG1570L that is my main guitar these days. It is an odd Ibanez model that was made in Japan pre J-craft. I'm not even sure what year it is. I got it in mint condition for $300.00 on consignment at a local shop a few years ago.

I emailed KGC about getting a block for the tremolo. It is lo pro trs-II.

I was sent a block that wound up not correctly fitting the tremolo. two screw holes didn't line up and I lost whammy functionality as the bar threads directly into the block.

It turns out that there are actually two types of lo pro trs-II tremolos, one that everyone hates which is made in Korea and the rarer Japanese made model that I have.

I emailed Sandy at KGC to tell him the block he sent didn't fit correctly. He was very helpful and willing to do anything to make it right for me. I decided to leave the ill fitting block inside my guitar so that I could send him the original to work from. KGC has excellent and friendly customer service.

He crafted me a custom block and sent it to me along with my original free of charge. He didn't even ask that I return the original.

I am really blown away by how awesome the block is that he made for me. Its really beautiful and fits perfectly in the guitar. It weights what seems like ten times the weight of the original. Mine was made to make contact with the guitar body which prevents pulling up on the bar but increases sustain and makes string changing a breeze.

All of the tonal claims from switching the block are true. I now have a better, fuller sounding guitar with more sustain. totally worth it. no snake oil here.

I will continue to use KGC for any tremolo I ever re-block, though I may get into the habit of just sending them the originals from now on for "odd" blocks.

you can't go wrong with KGC, they are a class act and I would recommend them to anyone, bar none. there is no comparison to thier competitors blocks. :thumbsup:

Here are some pics next to the original.

note: there is a brass plate that screws onto the block to hold the springs in securely that is not pictured.

moltenmetalburn":86nop380 said:
http://www.killerguitarcomponents.com/

Was reading that thread about the brass blocks and saw your link to this one...sounds like a great company. I just bought an Edwards when I was in Tokyo, it has an OFR and I want to get a brass block for it. I mainly want the thinness to go away and was wondering of the block did that for you.

killertone":f47g8yzp said:
moltenmetalburn":f47g8yzp said:

Was reading that thread about the brass blocks and saw your link to this one...sounds like a great company. I just bought an Edwards when I was in Tokyo, it has an OFR and I want to get a brass block for it. I mainly want the thinness to go away and was wondering of the block did that for you.

Jason, is it a 37MM block, if so I have a floyd upgrades you try out......big fat brass block.

killertone":3oyiz9yp said:
moltenmetalburn":3oyiz9yp said:

that is exactly what i found, the ibanez i put it into was a bit thin for my tastes and lacking some sustain, the HUGE chunk of brass really made the guitar more resonant and warmer to the ear without losing any cut.

killertone":27oy32ok said:
moltenmetalburn":27oy32ok said:

Depending on the clearance of the cavity on the guitar If you prefer to keep more upward movement, KGC also offers a smaller less restrictive 5/8" thick block at no extra charge.
3/4" thick I think is their standard block size thickness spread out to both sides of the cavity..
You will have to confirm that yourself with them though..

Since they do their own CNC work, Anything custom and or alternative sizes are quick and easy for them.. :thumbsup:

But you have to request the alternative thickness size and or other custom detail you want :thumbsup:

Great Company to deal with.. :yes: :thumbsup:

I have been dealing with them for about 3 weeks now with a Graphtech LB63 bridge (for piezo and MIDI). It was installed on a jackson dinky and i can't put the back plate on since the block is too long (37mm). So i ordered a new OFR block from them on ebay. It didn't fit... Apparently Graphtech uses smaller screws than the OFR's so i couldn't even bolt it in. So I put that one on my Charvel Desolation and ordered another. Sounds a bit beefier now. The second had the correct screws but the spacing was off. The outside holes were about a 32th inch too close to the middle, which ironically is the same spacing as an Ibanez Edge bridge. That one was sent back along with a template i made from the graphtech bridge.

I called a few weeks ago and they said they were having problems with a phase convertor, which supplies power to their machines. That put me back another week.

I just talked to Rick yesterday and my new block has been shipped.

It's been almost a month for this whole ordeal and i feel it may be worth the wait.

Rick has been excellent to deal with and after this is over, he may be the only block maker who makes a replacement block for the Graphtech LB63 bridge.

Back