Smallbox: What speakers/cabinets was it voiced around?

I just tried the V-type in my SB 1x12 combo. I like it better than the Creamback H75 that was in there. Less spikey. All the M magnet Greenback speakers I've tried in this amp seem to flub out on the bass I assume due to the smaller open back cab. The V-Type doesn't have the bass of a V30 but it's a little more vintage sounding which suites the SB pretty well for me.

I am examining different 2 x 12 speaker cabinets to run with my Small Box 50. If my understanding is correct, the nominal impedance of the 2 x 12 Friedman extension cabinet is 16 ohms. Is that two 8 ohm V30 speakers wired in series?

If the original voicing of the SB50 was established with Greenbacks, would they be considered a primary selection over the V30, or best advised to remain with the V30? Lastly, any discernible differences in wiring the speakers in parallel at 16 ohms; or again, just stay with the original configuration as established by the Master?

Absolutely love the SB50: incredibly great amp.

Thank you for the help and clarifications.

Thank you for the clarification on the cabinet ohms. I was quoting the 16 ohm rating information found on Musician's Friend, Guitar Center and Peach Guitars websites. I also recall seeing that reference on another site that distributes Friedman products, but unable to locate it at the moment. Apparently that information is incorrect and contradicts the specifications on Dave's site; which is where I should have gone in the first instance. Ultimately it looks like two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel to get the 8 ohm cabinet rating, which I believe is a much more common wiring configuration.

Thank you for your attention to the subject and appreciate you looking out.

Finnster":hvl8auep said:
Anyone try a Lynchback in the combo yet?

I play my ceriatone 2204 BE Mod through 2x12 with Lynchbacks. It is a fantastic combination. Perfect in my opinion. More definition bass definition than greenbacks with sweet dynamics and response.

Back