DS gain in comparison to BE

iggs

Just wondering how much gain Dirty Shirley has in comparison to BE scale 1-10.

Thanks!

iggs":1w7p6aip said:
Just wondering how much gain Dirty Shirley has in comparison to BE scale 1-10.

Thanks!

I would be interested as well. Also in voicing difference. I understand the Shirley sounds more classic rock. But as the BE can sound close to an Plexi as well, what and how big is the difference?

Background: I have an BE and am interested in a Shirley from reading about it but can't testdrive one anywhere. Are they so different that one should have both? Are there settings in the BE that can close to aha DS?

I don't think either can do the other.
I like the DS the best.....it has this chewy sag that you don't get from the stiffer big brothers.
Get the Shirley in addition to your BE

Finnster":2al43jyg said:
I like the DS the best.....it has this chewy sag that you don't get from the stiffer big brothers.

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't help to cure my GAS ;-) sounds to be a really great amp!

Finnster":1hqunm9t said:

Yeah I know they are different and don't expect them to be able to sound alike, what I was wondering is just in terms of pure gain ... for example, if you plug in a humbucker equipped guitar into high input and crank the gain on DS to full ... where does that come to (approximately) on the BE? (all switches off) Around 5 on the gain dial? 6? 7? ... etc.

iggs":bl8t9vm2 said:
Finnster":bl8t9vm2 said:

Yeah I know they are different and don't expect them to be able to sound alike, what I was wondering is just in terms of pure gain ... for example, if you plug in a humbucker equipped guitar into high input and crank the gain on DS to full ... where does that come to (approximately) on the BE? (all switches off) Around 5 on the gain dial? 6? 7? ... etc.

It's been awhile since I owned my DS but it has more than enough gain available. I would say the gain taper is pretty close between the two amps. The overall tone of the amps are different but the amount of gain available is very similar between DS high input and BE channel.

iggs":329v9rqf said:
Finnster":329v9rqf said:

Maybe 7-ish but it is really hard to say. The BE had more gain than I ever needed. The DS just sounds so different.... The DS has plenty of gain and with TS type pedal it can get near the BE but just different sounding. You really need to play one.

That probably didn't help you......sorry.

Finnster":2s3kkyon said:
iggs":2s3kkyon said:
Finnster":2s3kkyon said:

Maybe 7-ish but it is really hard to say. The BE had more gain than I ever needed. The DS just sounds so different.... The DS has plenty of gain and with TS type pedal it can get near the BE but just different sounding. You really need to play one.

That probably didn't help you......sorry.

That helps, thanks. I don't ever go over 8 on BE gain and never use HBE. Thinking about getting a 1x12 combo these days and Smallbox combo looks great but it may be too close to BE ... DS 1x12 combo would be perfect as it would be different enough and would have enough gain from the sounds of it.

I had both the SB combo and the DS combo.
I ended up keeping the DS. I like the dynamics of the
amp better. It's warmer as well to my ears.

I am still searching for the proper OD/TS type pedal for it.

Back