BE 100 PTP Board

NewReligion

I bought a 1st generation Friedman BE 100. This has the Point to Point board and half power switch. It still has a clean channel that is footswitchable (one button) but does not have its own Treble & Bass. 2 inputs labeled L (low BE) H (high HBE)

I love this amp with the half power switch on as the voltages cause a darker sag much like my build of the One Off Cameron I own.

The lead dress and craftmnship are top notch. I am not certain but I believe Metro are assembling all of the Friedman amps.?.?.? :hmm:

My December 2014 "J" has a blacked out PCB which aids in keeping lead dress standardized. Dedicated Treble & Bass for the clean channel and 2 button footswitch for channel and boost. 1 input.

For what it is worth the options on the back panel are nice to have but I only use the Loops. The Gen one uses my favorite Metro Zero Loss board as where the Dec 2014 "J" model uses a black board appearing to be a "reversal" of George's Zero Loss board. Not used are the FAT, C45 or SAT (clippers) switch's.

The SAT switch can be fun at low volume while at home as I know Cantrell uses them for his tones while mixing with a cleaner amp for clear defined headroom but I try to keep diodes and transistors out of the audio signal.

In summary half power switch aside the amps sound an perform identicle, well done DF.

I ordered new Sony editing software an it should arrive soon so I can do a "propper" video of the 2 BE 100's a One Off Cameron and my Plexistein which is largely influenced by Marks One Off design.

Until then here is a short clip using the new Sony Camera I purchased .

Later, David ♫

journeyman73":22aojii2 said:
i thought all current friedmans had turret board construction ???

Here we go again...

The BE100 new hybrid black board is an improvement to my ears as far as noise. Tone sounds the same to me.
Played my MAY 5th 2014 Rev.2 BE100 against a torrent older BE and I heard no difference except mine was way more quiet.

I also think the Friedmans new boards are similar to the new Metropolis Metro-plex's boards, they look real similar.

Adambomb":2jg1xmxc said:
journeyman73":2jg1xmxc said:

Here we go again...

The BE100 new hybrid black board is an improvement to my ears as far as noise and tones.
Played my MAY 5th 2014 Rev.2 BE100 against a torrent older BE and I heard no difference except mine was way more quiet.

I also think the Friedmans new boards are similar to the Metroplex's boards.

hey, i didnt mean to imply one was better or worse - i was just looking to confirm what the construction method was because i had heard differently

Adambomb":2nwnyeot said:
journeyman73":2nwnyeot said:

Here we go again...

The BE100 new hybrid black board is an improvement to my ears as far as noise and tones.

I also think the Friedmans new boards are similar to the Metroplex's boards.
What kind of board does my 2014 Smallbox have? Is it the hybrid board?

I'm pretty sure the Smallbox and know all the 100 watters were revised around middle of 2014. From all I've heard about the hum and noise, I'm glad I have the new 4 preamp tube and DC heaters of the Rev.2. I've heard a few with the old Rev1 boards and transformers went for the updates.

Guys, these revisions are not new news. The date on the Rev 2 board is 5-5-14 is what is says on my BE100 board. The OP is stating that besides the half power switch on the rev1 BE100, the Rev1 and 2 sound "identical" in his words and I agree. Haven't found any one person that's compared Friedmans amps with the old boards to the new hybrid board (what Dave calls them) with DC heaters, that I have not heard of one person yet saying they sound in any way different.

The Pink Taco might have already got it's updates, but last I checked, they were the last to be PTP turret board.

the dirty shirley i have is turret board but not metro made i don't think bc its def a lil spaghetti inside, go figure though amp sounds killer! sometimes your better off just playing and not opening ;)

I am guessing my Smallbox head has the new board and DC heaters? It sounds amazing and extremely quiet so I don't really care what is under the hood though I am still curious. I used it live for the first time this weekend and it performed like a champ.

John 14:6":26h7hea6 said:
I am guessing my Smallbox head has the new board and DC heaters? It sounds amazing and extremely quiet so I don't really care what is under the hood though I am still curious. I used it live for the first time this weekend and it performed like a champ.

spend 2 mins with a screwdriver. Put it on a stool, unbolt all 4 chassis bolts and slide one end out a little and look up from the bottom... voila.

I own Dave's personal shop amp, Serial #: SHOP BROWN EYE. It sounds glorious and is surprisingly quiet for the levels of gain it's capable of. I've played it side by side with a less than two months old BE100 and I can attest that I can't hear any perceptable difference in the two. Both sound fantastic. I actually felt at first, that the SHOP BROWN EYE sounded better. But the more I listened the less I could hear any difference.

Adambomb":16myb2pm said:
John 14:6":16myb2pm said:

spend 2 mins with a screwdriver. Put it on a stool, unbolt all 4 chassis bolts and slide one end out a little and look up from the bottom... voila.
Thanks, maybe I will do that when I replace tubes.

The lead dress on my PTP BE 100 is super clean. It only has 4 12AX7's as well so it has Georges Zero loss board. It fortunately is a s quiet as my Dec 2014 "J" BE 100. Nice additions to my collection.

I used the PTP this week end on a 4 hour job...she remained cool and sounded awesome indeed.

Back