Dang it, Dave....

57Strat777

For months I have been looking at amp videos on YouTube and had decided on a SB50. You mentioned I should wait for the new model SB50 that will be out soon. I heeded your advice and have been patiently waiting. Last weekend I stopped by a Guitar Center and played a Dirty Shirley and I loved it. The Dirty Shirley was so awesome I had a huge smile on my face thinking to myself I just experienced sonic nirvana. I love the idea of two channels on the SB50. However I've never played a SB50 as the local Guitar Center never has one in stock. Will the dirty channel on the SB50 be close to what the Dirty Shirley provides?

57Strat777":22pbz5q3 said:
Will the dirty channel on the SB50 be close to what the Dirty Shirley provides?

Well, I had them both, still have the Dirty Shirley. DS is different, especially in playing-feel. A good guitar, maybe a boost, and the DS - that is all you need to rock! No need for two channels!

eddiespaghetty":3v9nrm5t said:
57Strat777":3v9nrm5t said:
Will the dirty channel on the SB50 be close to what the Dirty Shirley provides?

Well, I had them both, still have the Dirty Shirley. DS is different, especially in playing-feel. A good guitar, maybe a boost, and the DS - that is all you need to rock! No need for two channels!

Thanks for the reply. Could you please give me some more detail on how SB50 dirty channel and DS are different in gain, sound and feel?

Gain is similar but the filtering and feedback are different. That, in addition to the 5881 having a bit different sound when pushed.

Rdodson":3cid2xm6 said:
Gain is similar but the filtering and feedback are different. That, in addition to the 5881 having a bit different sound when pushed.

"different" in what way? Can you provide some details on exactly how it translates into the tone and play-ability on both amps?

Well, for me the DS feels a bit looser, more chewy - if that makes sense - but in a good way. I prefer the playing feel of the DS.

But the difference actually can hardly be described - as it was said often - you have to play them, to get an idea! Words cannot explain it good enough. Especially when you compare those two amps.

eddiespaghetty":3kx6kw37 said:
Well, for me the DS feels a bit looser, more chewy - if that makes sense - but in a good way. I prefer the playing feel of the DS.

But the difference actually can hardly be described - as it was said often - you have to play them, to get an idea! Words cannot explain it good enough. Especially when you compare those two amps.

Which one would you say would be better for Hendrix stuff?

57Strat777":1rodyrqj said:
eddiespaghetty":1rodyrqj said:

Which one would you say would be better for Hendrix stuff?

I'd say DS. I also prefer the feel of it verse the SB. But the SB plexi channel is amazing.

I've had both. DS is much fatter and rounder sounding. SB is more modern type gain.

The DS cleans up better for bluesy, fat tones. Sounds great with a strat and single coils.

SB has more available gain on tap. But the DS with slight boost from a Tubescreamer does VH all day long and sounds amazing doing it. The Plexi channel on the SB doesn't really do it for me. Not fat enough for stratty blues tones and doesn't get dirty enough for that mid-gain type stuff

I traded my DS and really miss it. I'll get another. I traded my SB and don't miss it, but I have a BE100.

Back