BE50 Deluxe: Thoughts After Two Days

danburton

TL; DR: Seriously, go order one now before word on how awesome this head is gets out and they're backordered into 2019. Basically every Marshall tone you've ever dreamed of packed into one feature-laden head so loud you will wonder if it is really only 50 watts.

Test subjects: I brought a Les Paul (equipped with Bare Knuckle "Rebel Yell" pickups), another Les Paul (with Bare Knuckle "Cold Sweat" pickups) a PRS McCarty (with Arcane "Paradox" pickups) and an EBMM Axis (with SD's "Hot Rod" set). Thus far, I havent brought any other guitars up to play and have only had time to test the BE50 plugged into a Friedman 4x12 BE straight cab. I have noticed that every amp that sounds anything like a Marshall sounds its best through the Friedman cab. I'm going to rehearsal again today and will bring something with single coils this time. Also, I am going to assume if youre reading this that youre familiar with Friedman amps in general and not spend a lot of time going over the basics here.

Lead-up, Unboxing and Setup: I will admit that this was a stretch for me. I have a pretty sweet collection of boutique amps (Friedman, Soldano, Bogner, Diezel, Voodoo, KSR, etc etc) but am generally a bargain shopper on the used market. The BE50 is the most expensive amp (at least by what I paid for it) that I own, and the only amp I have ever bought without at least hearing clips on youtube. However, I already own two Friedmans (a WW Smallbox and a Dirty Shirley) so I trust that Dave will only come out with amps that are awesome. The feature list looked awfully impressive so I took the leap and pre-ordered at Sweetwater. It showed up well-packed although curiously without a manual of any kind. Not a big deal as Im assuming the controls do basically the same things they do on the BE100 (or basically any other amp). It's roughly the same size as my Smallbox and sits nicely on top of my Friedman cab.

Clean Channel: This was one of the big selling points. I already loved the BE and HBE channels on the BE100 but with the "Buxom" clean channel on board, this is like two amps in one. Normally with a new amp I fire up the heaviest, beefiest tone the amp has but this time I actually started here. To put it mildly, it sounds GREAT. Not that the clean channel on the BE100 isnt great but this one has a little more character to my ears. Kinda like an old "Plexi", this channel does some neat things. Sounded great with all three guitars I had with me and really shined with (and without) a couple of Strymon pedals (chorus, reverb and delay). In addition to sounding great it was really fun to play. Lots of dynamics with pick attack and volume knob make it feel like its somehow alive. Even more fun when you start playing with the "thump" and "response" controls. All three guitars sounded great here but I had a ton of fun with the Les Paul on this channel. Today I am going to bring a strat with me.

"BE" Channel: A lot has been written about the BE channel, so I will try to focus on what is "new" here. Yes, it still nails the "hot-rod" plexi tone. Sounds great: voice switch, sat switch, the new structure switch, etc. What was new to me was the "response" control. I found a neat tone with the Les Paul by lowering the gain, turning response up about 60-70% and a more credible version of Slash's early "AFD" tone than Ive heard a lot of other places. Switch to the Axis and its easy to coax a couple of different eras of Van Halen out of this channel.

"HBE" Channel: Wow...vicious. If you're a big fan of modded "Jose" Marshalls with gobs of sustain that are somehow compressed and highly-dynamic at the same time, this is basically as good as it gets. Being able to dial in some extra punch with the "response" control is a neat new sound on this channel. It was tons of fun to chunk out some single notes that filled the room. Then I dropped down to "drop D" and threw some stacked fifth chords at it, just to see if I could still hear all 3 notes. It sounded great - even with the gain up high (60-70% or so) you can still hear individual notes articulating through the mix. I havent played a "JJ" head but I imagine this new HBE is pretty close to the "JBE". Or at very least, I can nail some great AIC tones with it.

Overall Impressions: My expectations were sky-high, which had me a little worried, but Dave really came through with this one. I envisioned the BE50D as the "centerpiece" of my collection, and it didnt disappoint. Sounds great, looks cool, has a wide range of tones and its fun to play.

Dave! We need to get together and jam. I wanna hear this guy compared to the slax.
When are you around next?
Life has been nuts lately, but I’ve been making more time to jam.
Sounds like your been making some more additions to your collection :rock:

LunatiBSW":2vb1wrsc said:
Dave! We need to get together and jam. I wanna hear this guy compared to the slax.
When are you around next?
Life has been nuts lately, but I’ve been making more time to jam.
Sounds like your been making some more additions to your collection :rock:

Hey Brandon! Definitely come on by. I am back in the US now, and home for a few weeks.

I think quite a few folks on here the board would love to hear about a shootout!

Thanks for the review. How does the small box 50 compare to the BE50D?

If I can get a used small box for 2K, is it worth the extra $1500 for the BE50D?

Great review!! And hey, wattage doesn't always equate to SPL...not directly anyway, I recall a shootout with a full-on 2x412 cabinets with jumpered inputs for 'hot' on an original Marshall plexi ('67 or thereabouts) versus an original Vox AC30 and the AC30 was almost as loud (I'm talking within a dB or so) as the full stack 100W 8x12" speakers being driven at "11" from the plexi. Was very interesting.

Having worked in electronics and obviously having picked up a lot of intel in the world of gear and music and circuits and such being in the crowd, fact is, wattage isn't always correlated to volume-output/SPL. Power most certainly, but power doesn't transfer to SPL directly - there's a matrix in there of many components working in unison, efficiencies of an otherwise highly inefficient design, then there's the stacking, output trannies, choke, etc. - everything has to work in unison to first make it sound "good", and then take that "good", keep it "good" from whisper quiet to thunderously loud and hope that the "good" just gets better as you twist the tit on the amp!! But it rarely works out like that... A perfect amp design on paper can sound like shit, and some of the best sounding amps we've come to recognize as "the holy grail of amps" are made of sub-par components, wrong components, questionable build designs and concepts, etc. but they "sound incredible". Big difference. So many of us - me included - love the information a few finger strokes away at any time, but it's easy to get wrapped up in the academia of the matter, rather than focus on what the amp is supposed to do from the day we buy it - make the guitar louder and sound good doing so in the process.

Anyway - regardless of the 50W versus the 100W - I'm just super pumped for ya man... That was a great review - and the happiness and excitement you've got going on is definitely noticeable when reading your OP. Thanks for taking the time to write it up... Friedman - ya, seems he's got this amp business on lockdown!! I'm a very happy owner of a JJ and Slax, and am now somehow wanting a DS. WTF?!?!? :doh:

Keep playing. Thanks for sharing!!
Mo :rock:

4406cuda":21567jkk said:

If I can get a used small box for 2K, is it worth the extra $1500 for the BE50D?

Well, its funny you ask that, because my Smallbox is the "Wildwood Edition" which has a third channel that has some of the characteristics of the HBE.

Essentially, I love the idea of the clean channel for cleans, the BE channel for rock and heavy rhythm, and the HBE (and the third channel of the WW SB) is perfect for leads with its slightly more compressed and saturated tone.

For me, that third channel really "completes" the amp. But, whether or not thats worth $1500 to you is your own call.

I paid a little more than $2k (about $2500 if memory serves) for my WWSB in mint condition in early 2017.

danburton":2yphrdjh said:
4406cuda":2yphrdjh said:

Well, its funny you ask that, because my Smallbox is the "Wildwood Edition" which has a third channel that has some of the characteristics of the HBE.

Essentially, I love the idea of the clean channel for cleans, the BE channel for rock and heavy rhythm, and the HBE (and the third channel of the WW SB) is perfect for leads with its slightly more compressed and saturated tone.

For me, that third channel really "completes" the amp. But, whether or not thats worth $1500 to you is your own call.

I paid a little more than $2k (about $2500 if memory serves) for my WWSB in mint condition in early 2017.

Thanks

I am torn between getting the BE50D, the Smallbox, or going for the Synergy Modules. I play in a cover band and need to cover a lot of ground.

Really thankful for the time you took to write about the "new" things, instead of just rehashing what has been said.
This one sounds as though it's a real contender for many folks.
I am currently in Friedman heaven myself, yet keep wanting to try all the pedals now :doh:

Anyway, congrats on your new Friedman. For me the BE100 was the one I bought new...then had Dave work some more magic on it as well. With all the money I have in that amp, I'll be taking it to my grave :LOL: :LOL:

Regardless, Dave has the touch. All his amps have something special and a bit different.
Well Done Dave!!

Feel free to keep posting your observations, excitement, CLIPS...all very welcome and appreciated :rock:

Very cool Review! from the Sweetwater video it looked like a great addition to Dave's arsenal of amps. What I like is the individual difference in all of the amps! But a personnel review is always cool, looks like it can do "Many Tones" and versatile.

Gtar I know what you mean, I have a 2015 BE100 that Dave modified a number things, the original sounded great but after the Mods it's absolutely wonderful (it kills) beautiful cleans very Fender-Like to an Amazing Gain Distortion, what I really like is that if I have the Gain Control on "10" and have my KOT full gain, the tone is clear and clean and not fuzz/buzz as many amps (more like a Angry Plexi) even aggresive it sings, Dave builds Killer amps.

:)

danburton":7wnwmtd9 said:
4406cuda":7wnwmtd9 said:

FWIW, the 3rd “boosted” channel can be added to any SmallBox, to make it similar to the WW edition. Just depends if getting it to Dave’s Shop is doable for you. I’m in NoCal, so I’ve thought of dropping mine off when I’m in LA. He just needs a spot to put the 3rd master (e.g., on the back panel, where line out volume is). I’ll let you get a current quote from Dave, but when I asked him a little while back, it was very reasonable (in terms of the cash difference you’re discussing), and then you can get the two button footswitch.

All that being said, I’m curious enough about the BE50DLX to hold off and wait and see. Plus, any decent boost pedal, including the cool new Buxom Boost, can get you that extra saturation from the SB’s BE channel. And, the plexi channel on the SB is great for all kinds of boost/OD pedals if you want some different drive flavors on the fly.

Do I sound like I love my SmallBox? Cause I do :thumbsup:

Skeeter":1nmpzpge said:
All that being said, I’m curious enough about the BE50DLX to hold off and wait and see. Plus, any decent boost pedal, including the cool new Buxom Boost, can get you that extra saturation from the SB’s BE channel. And, the plexi channel on the SB is great for all kinds of boost/OD pedals if you want some different drive flavors on the fly.

Hey, I love my Smallbox too :)

I will say though, that the more heavily saturated tone that the "Response" knob gets on the BE50 Deluxe are not the same type of tone that comes from merely adding a boost. I'll let Dave weigh in on what that knob actually does, but it it doesnt sound like a boost.

danburton":2jpdiryo said:
Skeeter":2jpdiryo said:

Hey, I love my Smallbox too :)

I will say though, that the more heavily saturated tone that the "Response" knob gets on the BE50 Deluxe are not the same type of tone that comes from merely adding a boost. I'll let Dave weigh in on what that knob actually does, but it it doesnt sound like a boost.

Oh, no doubt. I think I was just trying to compare ordinary SB’s with the WW Special Edition SB’s - in that you can get something close to the “third” boosted BE channel that Dave adds.

The BE50DLX looks to be a whole other beast with so many more options, like Response, as you mentioned. I’m very curious what being able to adjust the ZNF Loop sounds and feels like in person.

Clean Channel: This was one of the big selling points. I already loved the BE and HBE channels on the BE100 but with the "Buxom" clean channel on board, this is like two amps in one. Normally with a new amp I fire up the heaviest, beefiest tone the amp has but this time I actually started here. To put it mildly, it sounds GREAT. Not that the clean channel on the BE100 isnt great but this one has a little more character to my ears. Kinda like an old "Plexi", this channel does some neat things. Sounded great with all three guitars I had with me and really shined with (and without) a couple of Strymon pedals (chorus, reverb and delay). In addition to sounding great it was really fun to play. Lots of dynamics with pick attack and volume knob make it feel like its somehow alive. Even more fun when you start playing with the "thump" and "response" controls. All three guitars sounded great here but I had a ton of fun with the Les Paul on this channel. Today I am going to bring a strat with me.

Really great review, thanks!!

Very curious to hear your thoughts on how this clean channel compares to channel 1 on the SmallBox. I just use mine a lot for “bright” plexi-cleans, edge of breakup or mid-gain roar. (e.g., from like Allmans to Led Zep). I worry about losing these aspects of the SB most, if I were to upgrade. Obviously the BE channel is going to be very similar and likely much better, gainier and way more versatile.

From what I can tell, the BB cleans sound stiffer (is this where the Response knob can vary that up?) and more Fender-like, as it seems is the point. But I also noticed there’s no gain/master - just a volume, like the actual NMV Buxom Betty amp. So, kinda wondering how easy it is to get this to start breaking up and if you can get it cranking for some of those plexi or DS-like classic rock tones that the SmallBox’s channel 1 does so well? Or with this amp, if maybe you’re better off just setting the BE channel for lower gain (and gain structure?) for those types of tones, and mainly use the clean channel for sparkling cleans, and some boost/od pedals.

Congrats on the new amp, and thanks again for all the insight!

Skeeter":26q8edxr said:
Very curious to hear your thoughts on how this clean channel compares to channel 1 on the SmallBox. I just use mine a lot for “bright” plexi-cleans, edge of breakup or mid-gain roar. (e.g., from like Allmans to Led Zep). I worry about losing these aspects of the SB most, if I were to upgrade. Obviously the BE channel is going to be very similar and likely much better, gainier and way more versatile.

From what I can tell, the BB cleans sound stiffer (is this where the Response knob can vary that up?) and more Fender-like, as it seems is the point. But I also noticed there’s no gain/master - just a volume, like the actual NMV Buxom Betty amp. So, kinda wondering how easy it is to get this to start breaking up and if you can get it cranking for some of those plexi or DS-like classic rock tones that the SmallBox’s channel 1 does so well? Or with this amp, if maybe you’re better off just setting the BE channel for lower gain (and gain structure?) for those types of tones, and mainly use the clean channel for sparkling cleans, and some boost/od pedals.

Its pretty different than the "plexi" channel on the SB. So on the BE50 clean channel there really isnt a huge volume difference between the lower "Volume" settings and the higher settings. With the volume lower, the BE50 clean channel hits a sparkly clean that is somewhat plexi-like and with the volume higher, its a righteous tone somewhere between cranking the plexi channel of a SB and a Dirty Shirley.

My experience with the Buxom Betty is limited so maybe thats exactly where it sits in the Friedman universe? Either way, I love this channel. I kinda want to go get a BB now haha.

danburton":3gf6ou7g said:
Its pretty different than the "plexi" channel on the SB. So on the BE50 clean channel there really isn't a huge volume difference between the lower "Volume" settings and the higher settings. With the volume lower, the BE50 clean channel hits a sparkly clean that is somewhat plexi-like and with the volume higher, its a righteous tone somewhere between cranking the plexi channel of a SB and a Dirty Shirley.

I am so glad I found Dan's comment here regarding the clean volume on the BE50 Clean...with a strat, setting the clean channel volume fairly high (i.e. say 2-3 o'clock), the tone is about as good as I could imagine it getting....wonderful fenderish edge tones that roll back into spanky clean tones. I'm absolutely thrilled with the clean on the BE50 with some reverb in the loop....and after setting the amp for that cleanish configuration, I was able to then set the BE/HBE masters to let the BE match the Clean in volume, and have the HBE set louder for leads.

It's as Dan said, once the clean volume was past a certain point, the volume increase stopped and the edge tones just started coming on,...and once set, the loop as a master allowed for all the volume I'd need live, with the BE and HBE set for a BE rhythm with a volume bump for the HBE for solo's. I've heard some say they want two rythms BE and HBE, so you could put a Buxom Betty or MXR 10 band EQ in the loop for your solo volume bump.

Thanks Dan for your insight..made all the difference in the world for me.

BLUESSYNDICATE":2mf1zac5 said:
danburton":2mf1zac5 said:
Its pretty different than the "plexi" channel on the SB. So on the BE50 clean channel there really isn't a huge volume difference between the lower "Volume" settings and the higher settings. With the volume lower, the BE50 clean channel hits a sparkly clean that is somewhat plexi-like and with the volume higher, its a righteous tone somewhere between cranking the plexi channel of a SB and a Dirty Shirley.

I am so glad I found Dan's comment here regarding the clean volume on the BE50 Clean...with a strat, setting the clean channel volume fairly high (i.e. say 2-3 o'clock), the tone is about as good as I could imagine it getting....wonderful fenderish edge tones that roll back into spanky clean tones. I'm absolutely thrilled with the clean on the BE50 with some reverb in the loop....and after setting the amp for that cleanish configuration, I was able to then set the BE/HBE masters to let the BE match the Clean in volume, and have the HBE set louder for leads.

It's as Dan said, once the clean volume was past a certain point, the volume increase stopped and the edge tones just started coming on,...and once set, the loop as a master allowed for all the volume I'd need live, with the BE and HBE set for a BE rhythm with a volume bump for the HBE for solo's. I've heard some say they want two rythms BE and HBE, so you could put a Buxom Betty or MXR 10 band EQ in the loop for your solo volume bump.

Thanks Dan for your insight..made all the difference in the world for me.

My pleasure :)

Feel free to call me Dave though haha. Dan Burton was the name on my fake ID in college.

Glad to hear youre enjoying the BE50 as much as I am!

Back