Tried 6CA7`s in the BE...

7 Stringer

:no:

Well, not really a :no: ,maybe a :( ..... If you want a more metal tone out of it, i think these are it. But i got the BE to have that 80`s hair tone, the VH tone. el-34`s are it for that. i got the heavy tones covered with my other amps.

The 6CA7 tubes gives the amp a way tighter feel, bottom end becomes very hard, you loose that bit of sag, i`d say it gets more VHT-ish. The amp looses some smoothness and mids are geared more in the low mids than mid mids. :confused: LOL You get the point. Highs are more or less equal.

I`m waiting on some new el-34`s and there going in there ASAP. If you want metal heavyness out of your BE, then gives these a go.

Chris

50MkII":3bawt4nh said:
Curious what brand of 6CA7's were you referring to? Good to hear you are fun with your new amp.

I tried the JJ`s. It comes with JJ el-34`s and it sounds awesome. I figured i`d give these a shot but in the end, not for what i`m looking for in the BE.

Chris

That is what I was thinking you used based on your post. Just had to ask. Much prefer the EH's over the JJ's I tried in my old JMP NMV Marshall.

50MkII":23d0z3iy said:
That is what I was thinking you used based on your post. Just had to ask. Much prefer the EH's over the JJ's I tried in my old JMP NMV Marshall.

Would it make such a dramatic difference between the JJ`s or EH`s? I think i got the feel of these tubes (6CA7), i just put them in my Peters and it is a whole different story. There quite perfect in it. if i was looking to tighten up or getting more aggressiveness out of the BE then these would be perfect for that. I don`t want to change the BE in any respect, it is what i was hoping it would be and i want it like that.

I`m a 6550 lover usually, that`s what i`m running in my Peters usually, very tight and punchy tubes. Cleans are stellar with them too. The 6CA7 are a bit more saggy and smoother. For the metal style i`m playing now, 6550`s do it better.

Chris

In my old JMP Marshall it did make quite a difference. After spending days biasing and demoing differing power tubes at differing points, the JJ 6CA7 was not in the top 3 for that amp. The EH6CA7's were amongst the top 2. Depends on the amp-circuit they are being used in. I would not consider using the SED =C's= in that JMP Marshall and the JJEL34's sound better, but in my Bogner they certainly sound better than the JJEL34's.

50MkII":gy97w2rq said:
In my old JMP Marshall it did make quite a difference. After spending days biasing and demoing differing power tubes at differing points, the JJ 6CA7 was not in the top 3 for that amp. The EH6CA7's were amongst the top 2. Depends on the amp-circuit they are being used in. I would not consider using the SED =C's= in that JMP Marshall and the JJEL34's sound better, but in my Bogner they certainly sound better than the JJEL34's.

Hmmm, might have to give the EH`s a try then. I know Dave did recommend the EH6CA7 to somebody, so it might make a difference, for the better?

I love the BE with the JJEL34`s so i`m gonna keep it that way for now. I`ve got a Peters triple channel incoming soon, i will try the 6CA7`s in there.

I'm big on experimenting with tubes, bias, etc etc.

The Brown Eye is the one amp I received where I wouldn't touch a thing. I'd just wanna freeze it in its state and make sure it always stays like that.

hunter":1dsnk5g8 said:
I'm big on experimenting with tubes, bias, etc etc.

The Brown Eye is the one amp I received where I wouldn't touch a thing. I'd just wanna freeze it in its state and make sure it always stays like that.

:thumbsup:

my thoughts exactly. I don`t wanna change a thing.

I use a Weber Bias rite, but i`d like to know how to bias the amp with just a voltmeter. How do you guys do that? I heard bad story`s about the bias rite, mine has worked flawlessly but i`d like to have a plan B, just in case i`m stuck. The shunt method or????

And is 30-32ma the best for the BE?

Thanks,

Chris

I believe that 32 is where they are biased at for the JJEL34's. Depends on the tube. Don't forget to use your ears and eyes.

Yeah I use the EH's in one of my amps and I love em. I am sure more of the smoothness will come back if you make the switch. In terms of power tubes JJs seem a bit too focused and sterile. Just my opinion though.

I tried the EH6CA7 on my Metro Plexi 50 watt and liked them.The amp is currently being modded by David Bray so I'm anxious to see how they sound after he's done with it. On my Marsha I use the original Mullards EL34 and liked them, but then I tried the JJEL34 and it gave me different tone that I also like.I also have the SED's and like them also but I can't get the bias as low as it needs to be, I hadn't had the chance to take it to Dave so he can change the Bias pot so I can use them safely. I can't get the bias lower than 44! The JJ's are tighter and better for metal stuff, but the Mullards are smoother and spongier and has a bit more clarity. I'm going to try the EH6CA7 on the Marsha and see what happens. I just wonder if Dave build his amp with the JJ's in mind and he tweaks them like that or it really doesn't make a difference what tube you use as long as it sounds good to you?

I was told the JJEL34's sounded better, but the JJ34L's tested out better. So he went with the one that sounded best to him in the BE. I have not had the chance to experiment with different tubes in the BE. I have just kept the stock tubes in it. With the similarities in Marshall tones in that amp I have not even thought of trying the SED =C='s in it because they just do not sound good to my ears in an old Marshall. If you are looking to do the tube swap dance and are planning on also trying out different preamp tubes, as a rule of thumb, I first start with the PI tube.

It does, but it can minimally change your bias reading. Something a friend of mine who techs and works at an boutique amp builder's shop recommended.

eljodon":1gunvtui said:
I tried the EH6CA7 on my Metro Plexi 50 watt and liked them.The amp is currently being modded by David Bray so I'm anxious to see how they sound after he's done with it. On my Marsha I use the original Mullards EL34 and liked them, but then I tried the JJEL34 and it gave me different tone that I also like.I also have the SED's and like them also but I can't get the bias as low as it needs to be, I hadn't had the chance to take it to Dave so he can change the Bias pot so I can use them safely. I can't get the bias lower than 44! The JJ's are tighter and better for metal stuff, but the Mullards are smoother and spongier and has a bit more clarity. I'm going to try the EH6CA7 on the Marsha and see what happens. I just wonder if Dave build his amp with the JJ's in mind and he tweaks them like that or it really doesn't make a difference what tube you use as long as it sounds good to you?
Order a quad of Winged C that are at the lowest test range for current draw and they should bias up. Need a good tube jockey. TC tubes can help you.

Thanks for the tip Rock God trainee, I wasn't aware that you can do that! My Masha is a 50 watt(#0024) so I only need a pair. There was a reason why the SED did not sound right on my Marsha. I have a custom made Aracom PLX100 100 watt Plexi/JCM800 hibrid that came with JJ's and I didn't like them on that amp. Jeff who built the amp for me installed the bias pot by the V1 preamp tube with the points were you insert a multi meter probe installed in the back of the amp so I can bias it without opening it. The JJ's sounded the best with my Marsha. I use ce distribution for my tubes or tube depot. I'll check out TC tubes next time I re tube the amp. I keep experimenting with different preamp tubes and I have 4 original Mullards 12AX7, a Brimar and 2 Phillips and they sound great, but the new Tun Sol give me a bit more gain. The new Mullard aren't even close to the old ones, they sound a bit harsh to my ears. The Chinese 12AX7 that Dave recomends also sound nice. I just can't make up my mind which ones to keep in the amp. So I change them depending on the type of guitar sound I'm going for.I also have 4 original Mullards and I like them for classic rock but the JJ's sound more aggresive which is the sound I'm going for.

Back