Pink Taco burning up EL84s?

londaxe

Question for Dave and those who own a Pink Taco.

Is the Pink Taco really hard on the power tubes? I've had the stock JJs (probably had about 10 hours use on them) start red plating just recently, so I replaced them with some new tung sol EL84s today. These started red plating after a few minutes. I imagine this isn't normal, but do the power tubes have to be a specific rating? Or could it be something with the amp itself? It sounds great and hasn't had any issues otherwise.

Any advice would be appreciated

londaxe":1q9oqe6f said:
It's cathode biased apparently, so I can't adjust anything

Ah I see, frustrating! Hope Dave chimes in or maybe just call Tone Merchants.

It's hard on tubes. But we burn them in well. Jj tubes are the only ones to use really. The power section is like a vintage 20 watt Marshall head. How long have you had it? Serial number? I could alway send you some tested tubes.

RACKSYSTEMS":14hmkn1f said:
It's hard on tubes. But we burn them in well. Jj tubes are the only ones to use really. The power section is like a vintage 20 watt Marshall head. How long have you had it? Serial number? I could alway send you some tested tubes.

I've had it for about six months or so (purchased new from King Guitar). Serial is #035.

As for the tested tubes, I appreciate the offer - I'll send you an email now to see what would be best.

Is there a "average life span" for el84's in the PT? e.g. 250 hours, etc..? or is it always a bit of a wildcard?

Back