Was does the new S switch on the 2016 Dirty Shirley do?

It's a gain "S"tructure switch. 3 positions, full gain, mid gain and low gain.

They can be upgraded. I had a gain structure switch added to my BE100 about a year ago, long before they became standard. And yes, it's worth it....

RedPlated":2d58km50 said:

They can be upgraded. I had a gain structure switch added to my BE100 about a year ago, long before they became standard. And yes, it's worth it....

Thanks for the reply. So in position "full gain" the amp sounds like the old one without the switch? And this additional component int the signal flow does not diminish the magic of those amps?

Blues Bird":3imh3ydd said:
RedPlated":3imh3ydd said:

Thanks for the reply. So in position "full gain" the amp sounds like the old one without the switch? And this additional component int the signal flow does not diminish the magic of those amps?

I'm curious on this too with the new Pink Taco... Does the full gain position sound the same as just having the gain turned to max on the older amps without the "S" switch? Does having the "S" switch have more gain? I'm guessing no?

RACKSYSTEMS":3tgqzrtc said:
No more gain, highest gain is the same as before.

Thanks for chiming in. So what does it exactly do in conjunction with the gain knob and the two inputs? Three different control ranges? or kind of three presets?

57Strat777":28wpz8ht said:
RACKSYSTEMS":28wpz8ht said:
It lowers the overall gain, not sure what else to say.

Dave, how does the switch differ from simply lowering the gain knob?

Like Dave said it cuts the gain but it's not the same as lowering the gain knob. It's adds different values of resistors and cap to cut the gain but add fullness. Middle setting is similar to a jcm800ish preamp, down position adds a resistor in parallel lowering the cathode resistance and uping the gain. Up position is the stock DS tone with more gain vs the other two positions with a resistor and bypass cap.

How complicate is it to add to the DS? I have an older model inbound (without the switch) and might need a local tech to perform the mod (I'm located in Italy)

B. Ste":y46ea8r1 said:
How complicate is it to add to the DS? I have an older model inbound (without the switch) and might need a local tech to perform the mod (I'm located in Italy)

Not difficult at all for a tech but you'll need to get with Dave on the schematic/values of the mod.

BrentSP":1v3hjl23 said:
57Strat777":1v3hjl23 said:
RACKSYSTEMS":1v3hjl23 said:
It lowers the overall gain, not sure what else to say.

Dave, how does the switch differ from simply lowering the gain knob?

Like Dave said it cuts the gain but it's not the same as lowering the gain knob. It's adds different values of resistors and cap to cut the gain but add fullness. Middle setting is similar to a jcm800ish preamp, down position adds a resistor in parallel lowering the cathode resistance and uping the gain. Up position is the stock DS tone with more gain vs the other two positions with a resistor and bypass cap.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back