JJ and Butterslax

I have a JJ at the moment that has been modded by Dan Gower, added extra gain and volume controls. I am looking at the butterslax as a 2nd amp, that things sound amazing. Anybody played side by side and is there a big enough difference between the two amps? Its hard to find one in the uk to try.

Funny thing on paper they are very similar but the Butterslax is more brutal. And the clean is totally different and so is the highest gain. The highest gain channel has more then the JBE channel.

The Butterlax just sounds awesome. What is channel 2 like? I really like the BE channel on my JJ 100, although I use the JBE a tone for more modern/metal tones. Is channel 2 on Butterslax basically the JBE channel? Or is it voiced more like a BE channel?

Dave I LOVE that you have designed such a brutal amp!! It's kinda like it's based off all the good things about an older Uberschall but with a more aggressive Midrange and cut like the best sound Marshalls ever!!! I can't wait to get my hands on one!!! Hopefully soon!! Reza's demo of the Butterslax made it sound SO good!!! As I'm sure it sounds!

That is a great description. I'm a new butterslax owner and have alot of experience with the uberschall. You nailed it on the head with that description.

We NEED a demo of this ASAP by the way!! I'm anxious to hear how that Friedman 412/15 cab sounds and feels!!!

It sounds and feels unreal, you really need to play it in the room to get the magic. Reza did a great job of mic'ing with a v30.

Channel 2 of the Butterslax is absolutely killer! You can get great sounds from punk to classic metal and thrash all day out of that one channel alone.

Sorry for joining in here late.

I had both amps here temporarily. I'd love a hybrid of both.

My idea would be:
Take the JJ with the Butterslax layout
a. leave clean as is
b. JJ channel as is incl. JBE switch
c. add the third channel of the Butterslax (extra gainstage, different voicing)
d. add a diode switch to remove the diode clipping for channel 3 (which will give you kind of a HBE, I guess)
e. make the extra Gainstage in channel 3 switchable (which will give you "BE/JBE" in channels 2 and 3

Makes total sense to me, since you have a real clean, no contant diodes as in the Butterslax plus a Deep control

Am I the only one that believes this is awesome?

Dave, hows the filtering configuration on the butterslax, if you don't mind me asking? Did you stiffen it up like 110uf on the main, 50uf on the screens, etc. ?

I noted for the JJ/BS combo idea, that having the BUS layout for a start would probaly best of its 3 channel structure, but .... then there would be no overall master volume. Tricky.

Would love to see a hybrid of the two. I bought a JJ100 before the Butterslax was announced and I think the Butterslax is a better match for what I like.

Is it possible to mod the JJ100 to get closer to channel 3 of the Butterslax?

Influenza":j5etvx2s said:
Sorry for joining in here late.

I had both amps here temporarily. I'd love a hybrid of both.

My idea would be:
Take the JJ with the Butterslax layout
a. leave clean as is
b. JJ channel as is incl. JBE switch
c. add the third channel of the Butterslax (extra gainstage, different voicing)
d. add a diode switch to remove the diode clipping for channel 3 (which will give you kind of a HBE, I guess)
e. make the extra Gainstage in channel 3 switchable (which will give you "BE/JBE" in channels 2 and 3

Makes total sense to me, since you have a real clean, no contant diodes as in the Butterslax plus a Deep control

Am I the only one that believes this is awesome?

Not the only one. I would do that.

Ch1 JJ cleans (or Buxom Betty like the BE50)
Ch2 JJ 'BE' Channel with JBE switch
Ch 3 Butterslax Ch3 with added diode (HBE) switch

Yup... that would be sick.

Back