Friedman Runt 50

splawner

g Not much talk about the Runt amps... All I got to say is that this is one killer amp... I cannot stop playing it... The tone coming out of this amp is simply amazing... Has great gain and yet still can hear everything ring through...I have the Friedman be od pedal hooked in for a little extra boost if I want it... Pedal goes amazing with this amp...I really can"t say enough good about this amp... Just kind of mind blowing...Dave you really put out a jem here with this amp and it"s price point....I guess it"s time for a Friedman cab....

Yeah!! I just grabbed the Runt50 combo, and spent most of the last two days playing it; and just ordered the BE-OD and the Sir Compre today; stoked to hear how they sound together!!

I played one at Guitar Center and fell in love instantly. I ordered one within a few hours of trying it :LOL: :LOL:

I got the call from Sweetwater this morning that it shipped out. I can't wait for it to come in.

lukeburke1":pg4f7wt8 said:
I played one at Guitar Center and fell in love instantly. I ordered one within a few hours of trying it :LOL: :LOL:

I got the call from Sweetwater this morning that it shipped out. I can't wait for it to come in.

Nice!! yeah, I am still digging in with mine; loving loving loving it. I stopped at GC last night on way home from work and got to play through the Runt20 combo; also a fantastic beast! Love Sweetwater, that's where I got mine too; they just shipped my two Friedman pedals, so should have those today! Super stoked to hear these two with the Runt (Sir Compre and BE-OD)

I really want to like the Runt 50 head but for me it just seems to be lacking the gain I was hoping for. It sounds really good from the videos I have seen but I want a amp that has enough gain on hand without having to resort to a pedal to boost the gain to my preferred level.

Just not sure the Runt has the gain I'm looking for without that pedal boost. I'm more of a high gainer player and I don't hate pedals. I just don't want to have to rely on pedal distortion to get to the tone I'm desiring, if that makes any sense.

I just now pulled the trigger on a Runt 50 demo head from Sweetwater. Knocked a few hundred off so that justified the price for me. I played a 20 and a 50 yesterday at my local GC and really liked them. I do wish they had a hair more gain, but it has the same amount of gain my Friedman modded Jet City amp has so in the end I know I'll be happy with the 50.

I'm in the "just needs a little more gain" club too. The Runt 50 is great but damn when I hear my buddy's JJ100 or listen to a Butterslax demo I realize the Runt does not have what I really want... which is a lower watt JJ/Butterslax with a clean channel, mainly for home jamming and recording. I just can't justify a 100watter for a small apartment. Come on Dave, make it happen ;)

Correction on my above post:

My Runt 50 arrived today. After messing around with it for only a few seconds I realized that when I demo'd it a few days earlier I had the Boost switch in the "cut" position. Totally different perspective now that I've had time to really lay into it.

With the gain fully dimed, it's the perfect amount for me. I also have a Splawn Quickrod, and usually have the gain at noon and on Gear 1, maybe Gear 2, and almost always OD1. So basically not a real high gain type of player.

All in all, the Runt is fantastic. The voicing is quite different from my Splawn, and in a good way because I'm not buying the same amp again. The Runt is a keeper for sure.

sahlomonic":qdbnlnrr said:

My Runt 50 arrived today. After messing around with it for only a few seconds I realized that when I demo'd it a few days earlier I had the Boost switch in the "cut" position. Totally different perspective now that I've had time to really lay into it.

With the gain fully dimed, it's the perfect amount for me. I also have a Splawn Quickrod, and usually have the gain at noon and on Gear 1, maybe Gear 2, and almost always OD1. So basically not a real high gain type of player.

All in all, the Runt is fantastic. The voicing is quite different from my Splawn, and in a good way because I'm not buying the same amp again. The Runt is a keeper for sure.

That's good to hear. Because sometimes when I read these forums I find myself wondering "how much freakin gain are these guys playing with?" Seriously... I've played seven strings in modern hard rock/metal bands and have never had the gain past noon or one-ish on the various mid-high gain amps that I've owned (VHT, Engl, Bogner, Marshall, etc). The older I get, the more I want to hear individual notes, as well as space between phrases (as opposed to endless compression/sustain). This is especially true at gigs, where I tend to turn the gain down another notch or two because the power tubes are being run harder and compressing the sound. I get the whole tight gain thing for metal, but I guess that I'm just getting old. :LOL: :LOL:

Btw... my favorite thing about the Runts so far is the clean channel. So there ya go... more proof that I'm over-the-hill. ;)

errrrrl":28y9ff2l said:
I'm in the "just needs a little more gain" club too. The Runt 50 is great but damn when I hear my buddy's JJ100 or listen to a Butterslax demo I realize the Runt does not have what I really want... which is a lower watt JJ/Butterslax with a clean channel, mainly for home jamming and recording. I just can't justify a 100watter for a small apartment. Come on Dave, make it happen ;)

Red_Label":28y9ff2l said:
sahlomonic":28y9ff2l said:

That's good to hear. Because sometimes when I read these forums I find myself wondering "how much freakin gain are these guys playing with?" Seriously... I've played seven strings in modern hard rock/metal bands and have never had the gain past noon or one-ish on the various mid-high gain amps that I've owned (VHT, Engl, Bogner, Marshall, etc). The older I get, the more I want to hear individual notes, as well as space between phrases (as opposed to endless compression/sustain). This is especially true at gigs, where I tend to turn the gain down another notch or two because the power tubes are being run harder and compressing the sound. I get the whole tight gain thing for metal, but I guess that I'm just getting old. :LOL: :LOL:

Btw... my favorite thing about the Runts so far is the clean channel. So there ya go... more proof that I'm over-the-hill. ;)

I will preface this by saying that I have not had the opportunity to try the Runt 50 myself, but I am also wondering if there is a way to get more gain from this amp. I have been listening to every demo I can find, and I have been held back from ordering one based on this concern.

Dave, I know sometimes people send your amps back for mods - could the Runt 50 (or 20) be modified with a switch that would give it the "HBE" level of gain? What about adding a depth control?

jimmer_5":3c6zfyfm said:
I will preface this by saying that I have not had the opportunity to try the Runt 50 myself, but I am also wondering if there is a way to get more gain from this amp. I have been listening to every demo I can find, and I have been held back from ordering one based on this concern.

Dave, I know sometimes people send your amps back for mods - could the Runt 50 (or 20) be modified with a switch that would give it the "HBE" level of gain? What about adding a depth control?

I brought my PT20 into the local shop last Friday and compared it to the Runt 20 and 50 thru a Friedman 4x12 thinking I would probably walk out with the Runt 50. I left there and decided to keep my PT20 (to me it sounded better than the Runts for how I like to play) and either save up for a Butterslax or maybe try that Henning Bottle Rocket I've been eyeing out. It's hard for me to justify spending almost 4k on a Butterslax to play at bedroom volume... If I played guitar in a band and gigged then it's a no brainer but I'm a drummer that likes to play guitar ;)

I too am curious if the Runt 50 (or PT20) can be modded for more gain and if possible bring it more in line with the Buttlerslax 3rd channel.

errrrrl":7zfgbaml said:
jimmer_5":7zfgbaml said:

I too am curious if the Runt 50 (or PT20) can be modded for more gain and if possible bring it more in line with the Buttlerslax 3rd channel.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/WWP ... cat_id=299

SAT switch, FAT switch should get you about there. Dying to grab this amp.

just got my Runt 50 head Monday. I think if it's at band volume it has plenty of gain for me(I'm more of an old school metal guy) at bedroom volumes I could see using a boost/OD for a little extra(I'll probably boost it with my modded SD-1 anyway).

I've been gigging with my 87 2210 for awhile and this little guy can hold it's own and then some, sound somewhat similar but the Runt has more definition with chords and has a tighter low end, even though it's "only' 50W, and the clean channel is effing spot on IMO.

I bought a Framus Cobra last summer to try and knock the 2210 off, the 2210 destroyed it, the Runt on the other hand, will probably become my main gigging amp. two thumbs up here!

Has anybody had issues with the dirty channel being too bright and not enough bass? Running mine through a 1x12 8 ohm cab with V-Type speaker. The clean channel is the exact opposite, huge bass. Having to turn it down to 9-10. Running the treble and presence on the dirty channel at 9-11. Doesn't seem right. Anybody?

Yea, there's a bit more bass out of the clean channel but that's pretty normal. I have a Creambacks M in my combo and get plenty of bass considering it's only a 1x12. If I connect it to a 2x12 or 4x12 then the bass obviously gets much bigger.

Back