Smallbox with boost and Fx?

MrFlexx

I just got myself a Friedman Smallbox and placed an order for the Suhr Koko Boost, not the Reloaded version. I've read that loads of users use the Koko Boost in the loop and I wonder how to use it if I have a TC Electronic G-Major 2 in the loop? Any suggestion how to connect everything and in what order for the best sound? I'm thinking about getting the Suhr Shiba Reloaded and the Friedman BE-OD as well. Has any of you A/B tested this pedals on the Smallbox? And my last question: Can the BE-OD push the BE channel of the Smallbox into the HBE territory of the BE100?

A boost in the loop is generally for a volume boost and when used before the amp is a gain boost, or a volume boost if the amp is set clean.
The BE-OD pedal has tons of gain and is better into a clean amp because it has soo much gain.
The Koko boost in front of the Smallbox with it's gain up would push it to HBE levels.
Enjoy the amp. Friedmans are very responsive to your dynamics and to the guitar's volume knob.

MrFlexx":1hu13ukt said:
I just got myself a Friedman Smallbox and placed an order for the Suhr Koko Boost, not the Reloaded version. I've read that loads of users use the Koko Boost in the loop and I wonder how to use it if I have a TC Electronic G-Major 2 in the loop? Any suggestion how to connect everything and in what order for the best sound? I'm thinking about getting the Suhr Shiba Reloaded and the Friedman BE-OD as well. Has any of you A/B tested this pedals on the Smallbox? And my last question: Can the BE-OD push the BE channel of the Smallbox into the HBE territory of the BE100?
The BO-OD can push the BE channel WAY beyond HBE levels. IMO it doesn't sound that great on the BE channel. It works better on the clean channel.

I own all the pedals that everyone has mentioned. The BE-OD is a great pedal but the smallbox sounds and feels better because it is the real deal. Once you get the BE channel to volume you will understand. You have to turn the bright switch off to get the best sound out of the pedal which can be a deal breaker because i use the bright switch on always. I like the the BE channel on the smallbox dimed with no added level from the koko boost original. I just use it to give me a more focused sound by boosting the mids. I could see using the green side if i had really low output pickups but i don't feel like it is needed.

Thx for all your replies. After hearing you out I will use the Koko Boost before the amp. Any suggestion of what overdrive pedal that pair up nicely with the Smallbox? Is the TS808 any good for this or maybe the BB Preamp or Boss SD-1?

I hate anything with a big low cut on the Friedman amps. I really like the klon, and the bogner wessex on the clean side.

Tumnus & Koko are my 2 favs for out front. But TS style pedals always sound good. I run a compressor with a blend knob in the loop for a volume boost. Mini Ego, Bogner Harlow or Barber TonePress.

Suhr Koko Boost and Empress ParaEQ both of this pedals will give you great results in front of the amp or in the loop. ParaEQ as the most versatile and almost limitless of both pedals

mxr2000":ogovs8rc said:
Suhr Koko Boost and Empress ParaEQ both of this pedals will give you great results in front of the amp or in the loop. ParaEQ as the most versatile and almost limitless of both pedals

Funny! That's exactly what I have on the board right now. The Koko in front boosting low-mids to get into HBE territory. Then the ParaEQ in the loop for a volume solo boost along with some mids pushed depending on guitar, etc.. I've been trying to decide if the ParaEQ is worth keeping long term - as it's almost overkill, but def fun to play around with and handy for recording.

As far as ODs, I agree to use ones that don't sap the low end, like the most traditional TS808s. Klones seem to work well, I use a J Rockett Archer. EP booster is good and there are so many TS boutiques nowadays that can help with low end like the EQD Dunes or Lovepedal Kalamazoo (want to try one of those). I use my ODs mostly in the Plexi channel as I can what I need from the BE channel with slight boosting, not "foundational" overdrives. The responsiveness of the Plexi is really special so all the "transparent" overdrives really shine through and let you work vol knob and picking dynamics.

MrFlexx":4wxjuykf said:
Thx for all your replies. After hearing you out I will use the Koko Boost before the amp. Any suggestion of what overdrive pedal that pair up nicely with the Smallbox? Is the TS808 any good for this or maybe the BB Preamp or Boss SD-1?

The KLON KTR would work great as would the TIM/Timmy pedals. The Xotic RC V2 is a great pedal as well as the Vemuram Shanks. You have a lot of options to pick from. I have had success with those pedals and that amp. Maybe others have had success with other stuff too!

MrFlexx":1c7u4lbl said:
The Klon is great but it costs $2000. A little too expensive for me.
A lot of Klones on the market and many are very good. I have the Mojo Hand Sacred Cow and it is great. The Tumnus, Archer and ESPECIALLY the Arc Effects Klone are great.

I got myself a Klone clone and it sounds awesome on the Plexi channel. I also got myself an XTS Precision Multi-Drive and what an amazing pedal that is. The best OD I've tried...ever! So now I have the Koko Boost, Klone Clone, XTS Precision Multi-Drive and a MXR Smart Gate in front of the amp and the palette of sounds I can get is Amazing. Not a bad tone in sight :) I also dumped the G-major 2 and got myself a Strymon Timeline, Strymon Mobius and the Strymon Big Sky instead and now I'm even higher up in sound heaven. The next two pedals to get is the Empress ParaEQ and the Diamond Compressor and then my pedalboard is complete :)

Back