Best Speakers for Small Box 212 Cabinet?

John 14:6

I am thinking about getting a Friedman 212 cabinet for my Small Box head. Any other speaker recommendations besides V30's?

Celestion Alnico Creams. My personal fav with the SB. If you got the coin try'em out.
or
V30 and G12M 65 or H75 mix.

I like a V30 / Creamback 75 mix or two Creamback 65s in mine so far. I really did not like the two V30s. I've also tried an Alnico Cream in a 1x12 cab and didn't really care for it with my SB or DS, it just wasn't mean enough. Maybe I'd like it mixed with the Creamback 75 or V30.

tripstan":23kc01qy said:
Celestion Alnico Creams. My personal fav with the SB. If you got the coin try'em out.
or
Can you give a tone reference for Anlico creams say compared to V30s..How are the highs? Or more importantly how are the mids voiced? Every alnico I've played with a higher gain amp was too smooth and had a lot of compression.

Adambomb":161txlyg said:
Every alnico I've played with a higher gain amp was too smooth and had a lot of compression.
That's exactly why I didn't like it when I tried one in a 1x12. There wasn't enough high end bite. It was too polite sounding.

Don't know about a Smallbox head, but I use a 2x12 cab for my
BE100 because I'm getting too old to drag a 4x12 cab around with me.
I use an England made V30 paired with a Celestion Heritage G12H.
Perfect!!

Mike D.":1rv48o2z said:
Don't know about a Smallbox head, but I use a 2x12 cab for my
BE100 because I'm getting too old to drag a 4x12 cab around with me.
I use an England made V30 paired with a Celestion Heritage G12H.
Perfect!!
That is the same speaker combo I have in my Avatar 2x12 cabinet and it sounds awesome with my Small Box. I might try something different if I get a Friedman 2x12 and I am a little reluctant to do the stock two V30 combo the cabinet ships with. I will probably go through Sweetwater and see if they can order me a different speaker combo. I am thinking a V30 matched with either a Celestion G12-65, Lynchback, Creamback 65 or Creamback 75.

Adambomb":2tzjqzp8 said:
tripstan":2tzjqzp8 said:
or
Can you give a tone reference for Anlico creams say compared to V30s..How are the highs? Or more importantly how are the mids voiced? Every alnico I've played with a higher gain amp was too smooth and had a lot of compression.
It's smooth but not overly compressed. More even sounding across the Highs/mids/lows which might make it seem likes it's compressed but I'd say it's the best neutral open sounding speaker out there. Doesn't have the nasally spike of a V30 but similar tone.

I ended up buying a Friedman PT112 cabinet from Sweetwater for my Small Box to leave at church miced up back stage. It has a Creamback 65 and should work well with the amp as long as I don't crank the amp too loud and torch the 65 watt speaker. I doubt I will throw more volume at it than it can handle.

I am considering a Suhr cabinet loaded with 2 Alnico Creams for my SB.

I had the chance to test the Celestion Alnico Creams with a Fuchs, and I love the way they sound.

But on one side I consider that the SB it is already a quite dark plexi (which I like), but I am afraid that the Cream, that it is also a dark speaker, can be a too polite combination.

On the other side I love the tight low end of the SB, and I do not know if the Alnico Cream will handle this low end properly.

Any thoughts?

Back