You Guys Were Right About Friedman 4X12s

jeff5

I forgot who said it, and it was probably a few folks, but the recommendation was to pair the JJ/BE, whatever, with a Friedman cabinet. Best advice! I recently picked one up to pair with my JJ. I had good cabinets and speakers before, and the JJ sounded amazing. But something is just...right with the Friedman 4X12. I didn't think the JJ could sound better but it does. :rock: Awesome cabinet!

Disclaimer: I still reserve the right to tinker with speakers because....well like a lot of you that's what I do! For now and the foreseeable future, not touching anything though!

Yeah man. I played my BE through a Marshall with G12-65's in for a while. Got the Friedman Cab and what a difference.

I did yank out the V30's though for G12H-75 Creambacks. I hate V30's with Marshall style amps. They actually sounded good in the mix, but when i isolated them when recording... yuck. IMHO of course.

I have a Friedman 212. It makes all my other cabinets sad. I too pulled the V30s, not my taste. Great sounding cabinet with every speaker I've tried in it.

I kind of feel that the JJ needs V30s. However, I have tried H75/V30 combo, H75/M65 combo and M65/V30 combo in the other cabinets I've had with the JJ. All sounded good, just depends on what you're going for and in a lot of cases personal preference. I was going to stick with the M65/V30 combo in my previous cabs, but right now I am digging the V30/Greenback mix that comes stock.

jeff5":1unczlsi said:
I kind of feel that the JJ needs V30s. However, I have tried H75/V30 combo, H75/M65 combo and M65/V30 combo in the other cabinets I've had with the JJ. All sounded good, just depends on what you're going for and in a lot of cases personal preference. I was going to stick with the M65/V30 combo in my previous cabs, but right now I am digging the V30/Greenback mix that comes stock.

I was interested in do the same 3 combinations you've mentioned here to see which best suited my style and sound. Curious to know which combinations you felt were best for Cleans vs Crunch tones? I'm intrigued by the high clarity of the Alnico Cream, and the Creamback H75, but I'm afraid of getting them and discovering that they are too bright. If I had to pick one of these to mix with my V30's, which would you recommend trying first? Thanks

ToneSeeker1969":1cuwzvnd said:
jeff5":1cuwzvnd said:

I was interested in do the same 3 combinations you've mentioned here to see which best suited my style and sound. Curious to know which combinations you felt were best for Cleans vs Crunch tones? I'm intrigued by the high clarity of the Alnico Cream, and the Creamback H75, but I'm afraid of getting them and discovering that they are too bright. If I had to pick one of these to mix with my V30's, which would you recommend trying first? Thanks

I wish i had the isolated tracks with my greenback/v30 cab from the studio. The v30's were the bright and harsh speakers in this scenario. The H75's and Greenbacks seems to work together better (for me).

Again, this is an isolated recording scenario. In an unmic'ed jam scenario. the v30's added the tight low end to the mix that works great. However the H75's also do that without the harshness.

atrox":3l3zzaua said:
ToneSeeker1969":3l3zzaua said:
jeff5":3l3zzaua said:

I wish i had the isolated tracks with my greenback/v30 cab from the studio. The v30's were the bright and harsh speakers in this scenario. The H75's and Greenbacks seems to work together better (for me).

Again, this is an isolated recording scenario. In an unmic'ed jam scenario. the v30's added the tight low end to the mix that works great. However the H75's also do that without the harshness.

So, you don't find the Creamback H75 too bright or Hi-Fi sounding? I thought that's why more people seem to be using the M65, it seem a little warmer. That is why I had thought of pairing one up with one of my existing Vintage 30's. Thanks for the feedback!

ToneSeeker1969":2hochkno said:
So, you don't find the Creamback H75 too bright or Hi-Fi sounding? I thought that's why more people seem to be using the M65, it seem a little warmer. That is why I had thought of pairing one up with one of my existing Vintage 30's. Thanks for the feedback!

They add a touch of sparkle that is honestly quite welcome IMO. I kind of see them as a perfect speaker. I love the M65, but prefer the H75 because it's the best of many worlds. It has the mids of a Greenback, the tight low-end of a T75 or V30 and i'm not sure what i'd comp[are the highs too, but they are tamer than a T75 and more pronounced than a G12-65 or M65.

ToneSeeker1969":26f52ki1 said:
atrox":26f52ki1 said:
ToneSeeker1969":26f52ki1 said:
jeff5":26f52ki1 said:

I don't think H75s are too bright at all. Definitely not as bright or mid-spikey as a V30. The H75s were a good compliment to the V30 or to the M75. Heck they'd be great on their own. They are a GREAT speaker. Granted, this wasn't in my Friedman cabinet, but is my experience with my other cabs anyway. Their high end is interesting....it's just enough. Hard to explain. Celestion hit a home run with the Creambacks though.

Browns Fan":jeokpatc said:
Has anyone had the chance to try all greenbacks in a Friedman cab?? Just curious

-yes, sounds fuckin awesome!! I've tried all of the low wattage greenbacks with a JJ, my favorite was a H55 & H75 mix, you do miss some thump and definition that the V-30's bring, in a single 4x12 cab my 2 favorite mixes were

-one 8ohm 55hz greenback, two G12H 75hz greenbacks & one empty hole up top next to the H55hz greenback on top-(the de-tuned cab helped a lot with the needed thump)-

-one V-30-(on the bottom)-two H75hz greenback's & one H55hz greenback on top.

-I don't know the dimensions but that's usually the determing factor, there are other variables but there usually subtle, here's some that aren't subtle, most quality cab's are made out of voidless Baltic birch ply, ORANGE cab's are made out of 3/4", that's why they sound different, some are made out of board, not plywood, like the old Fender cab's, and they sound completely bad ass!!.. KRANK cab's are made out of poplar plank-(solid wood, not plywood)-awesome cabs!! BOGNER cab's use acoustic insulation, that's there secret, a lot of front loaded cab's have the back panel made of Baltic birch plywood this adds to the structural integrity of the cabs and adds to there sound-(most cab's use MDF or chipboard rear panel's & baffles, lots of the little things make for different sounding cabs of the same volume & speaker's..

Back