Smallbox Brightness Problem

SavageRiffer

Banned
OK, so I've got two Smallboxes sitting side by side right now. One is brighter than the other. The darker one is a 2014 the brighter one is a new 2016. The brighter one has a better, janglier feel. The darker one has a tighter feel and sounds a bit thicker. The only difference between the two is the faceplate on the 2014 is like a plexi faceplate and the 2016 is like a brushed steel. I've looked at them inside and nothing looks out of the ordinary. The 2014 has barely been used, so no wear on tubes. What on earth could account for the brightness and difference in feel?

Newer one will have TAD power tubes. Older one will have JJ's. That alone will account for a lot of the difference you describe. 2016 will also have Synergy caps and Mallory in the older one.

Hmm, I'll take a look at the caps and preamp tubes when I get home from work. Someone else mentioned TAD tubes vs JJ, and that's one thing, but I wouldn't expect power tubes to contribute to that much difference at low volume. Why Synergy caps? I know Mallory caps are top notch, but never heard of Synergy. Thanks for the feedback.

FWIW, I read that the Synergy caps are the second (?) generation Sozos. Apparently the dude that owned the Sozo brand did not own the intellectual rights to the actual manufacturing of the caps. So Synergy (or a parent company) swooped in and started making/calling them Synergy Royal Mustards. I've missed details but it's something like that.

IIRC, Dave commented on the Synergy vs Mallory but he basically said what you'd expect him to say i.e. Synergy a tiny bit better. My Friedman-modded Marshall had Mallorys. I jut got some Synergy Royal Mustards that I intent to swap into a homebrew 50W Marshall. That amp has first gen Sozos in it now so I'm curious if I'll even hear a difference.

SpiderWars":1kheo80q said:
FWIW, I read that the Synergy caps are the second (?) generation Sozos. Apparently the dude that owned the Sozo brand did not own the intellectual rights to the actual manufacturing of the caps. So Synergy (or a parent company) swooped in and started making/calling them Synergy Royal Mustards. I've missed details but it's something like that.

IIRC, Dave commented on the Synergy vs Mallory but he basically said what you'd expect him to say i.e. Synergy a tiny bit better. My Friedman-modded Marshall had Mallorys. I jut got some Synergy Royal Mustards that I intent to swap into a homebrew 50W Marshall. That amp has first gen Sozos in it now so I'm curious if I'll even hear a difference.

Hmm, that's good then because I like Sozo caps and have been using them in my guitar electronics for a while. I LOVE the feel of this amp. It's very jangly like a Fender. If I could just get it a little thicker low mids, bit more bottom end, and a little tamer in the treble then it would be perfect. In fact, if my 2014 had the same feel as my 2016, it would be perfect.

Sorry about the double post. I meant to post here but it doesn't let me delete the other thread. Dave already replied to the other one, so please delete.

RedPlated":3d75ph8q said:
Put JJ preamps in the first two slots. They are dark.
Or he could stick an NOS RFT 12ax7 in V1. It beats the heck out of the JJ and more dynamic along with being warm/dark sounding. It works great in my Small Box.

Back