NCD: Friedman Steve Stevens 412 Custom No Logo

Just got my new roadcase today to keep it safe. It will probably never see the road but at least it will keep the cab from getting scrapes/scratches etc. Phil at Clydesdale cases in Ontario, Canada made this for me.

Clydesdale Custom Case Co. Ltd.,
906 Brock Road, Suite 6
Pickering, Ontario
L1W 1Z9

Tel: 905-837-6748 Ext; 227
Fax: 905-837-6750
Toll Free: 1-800-465-0004 Ext 227

www.clydesdalecases.com

You should get the logo, just in case. I did the originals for Steve 7 years ago in purple.

This is the first of three for the 2010 tour, after I finished it.

sscab1.jpg

These are pics Steve sent me from the opening night in Moscow.

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

Billy wanted Steve to get three full stacks, but it would have covered up Derek, the keys player. LOL

The purple cabs look awesome and the logo is great too. Hopefully I can get one sent to me to have in case I ever want to put it on. The Friedman cab sounds killer. How is the scumback build compared to the friedman one? Are they the same / similar specs?

They're not the same but similar is a fair statement. I put extra bracing like a 69 Marshall 4x12, all baltic birch & birch back panel, piping over the top and bottom (vintage looks thing), my metal handles and removable casters.

Pretty sure Dave just has rubber feet, no casters, no piping, and regular handles...MDF back panel last I heard, but I'm sure he has that info on his site. The SS cabs may be different, I really haven't compared them.

Steve sent me the artwork, and I had BNP Lasers do the logo.

Those ALL look very cool.
Great case too!!

Your purple cabs are SICK!! Very sweet.
I have been using my SS100 with a Friedman cab, just not the Steve Stevens. Maybe need to look into one.
Need to find out what differences are between cabs.

Scumback Speakers":2sag6kaw said:
Thanks GL & CN. It was a pleasure to work with Steve and bring his idea of a cab to life.

Off topic, but while we're talking cabs. There's something special about well worn 20+ year old cabs. They sound amazingly alive. I know well broke-in speakers attribute to this, however I can't help but think there's more to it, such as the wood is aged and dry, and the tolex glue has fully cured, etc. I consider the cab an instrument its self, much like a kick drum. I have thought of ways to accelerate the aging process of cabs. I also have thought of using kiln dried wood, like you would do when building a nice guitar.

Thoughts?

The effect of age on drying out wood in cabs is usually positive, as long as it was good wood to begin with. Speakers are usually good for 30 plus years, then age affects the glue, etc. As for guitar wood, yes and no, as the old growth wood usually is better. Just my .02 based on having guitars 60 years old vs newer production guitars. There's a lot of other factors, of course...finish thickness/type, how old the wood is that was used (if it's a replica made of old wood), how dense or dry it is, etc, etc. The combinations are basically endless, IMO.

Back