Friedman and Marshall Cabinets

old_n_salty

I will try my best to explain this...Got a new JJ100 head right before Christmas this past year. It has been working wonderfully. Noticed last week at rehearsal that my barely used Marshall 1960 Vintage (Vintage 30s) straight cab began to have a strange buzzing/hissing sound coming from the upper left hand speaker when i strike my low E (tuned in C) and my A (tuned in G) strings when on the clean channel. The sound/noise seems to fade away as the note resonates but it is very noticeable up front. No other strings but those two create this sound. It is only coming from that one speaker. I pulled out my old '98 JCM 900 (G-75) slant cab and the same exact thing happened. I started thinking maybe its the amp because I then noticed when I flicked the standby switch there was a huge pop sound. Then i went back to my vintage cab and it did the same. I then decided to plug my amp into my other guitarist's JCM 900 cab and everything sounds fine, no buzzing/hissing or loud pop. So i'm thinking now its not the amp but speakers. I can't believe to think i have 2 cabs with jacked up speakers, especially the same exact one/location. Has anyone encountered this at all? Are my cabs struggling to handle the dropped tuning with bass set on "8"?. I am running my amp and cab on 16 ohms in mono (I also tried 4 ohms, same issue). Any experience or help is greatly appreciated. My thought is to start looking for new speaks.
-Clint

1) check your ohms on the cabinet
2) sometimes those plastic hands come loose and rattle like crazy.glue them so don't spin!
3) try a different cable going to your cabinet

old_n_salty":2skmalew said:
I will try my best to explain this...Got a new JJ100 head right before Christmas this past year. It has been working wonderfully. Noticed last week at rehearsal that my barely used Marshall 1960 Vintage (Vintage 30s) straight cab began to have a strange buzzing/hissing sound coming from the upper left hand speaker when i strike my low E (tuned in C) and my A (tuned in G) strings when on the clean channel. The sound/noise seems to fade away as the note resonates but it is very noticeable up front. No other strings but those two create this sound. It is only coming from that one speaker. I pulled out my old '98 JCM 900 (G-75) slant cab and the same exact thing happened. I started thinking maybe its the amp because I then noticed when I flicked the standby switch there was a huge pop sound. Then i went back to my vintage cab and it did the same. I then decided to plug my amp into my other guitarist's JCM 900 cab and everything sounds fine, no buzzing/hissing or loud pop. So i'm thinking now its not the amp but speakers. I can't believe to think i have 2 cabs with jacked up speakers, especially the same exact one/location. Has anyone encountered this at all? Are my cabs struggling to handle the dropped tuning with bass set on "8"?. I am running my amp and cab on 16 ohms in mono (I also tried 4 ohms, same issue). Any experience or help is greatly appreciated. My thought is to start looking for new speaks.
-Clint

Loud pops while flicking stdby is not uncommon.

Pull that speaker out and check the center cap. I had a marshall 1960av cab and the center cap on each speaker eventually came loose. I buzzed and rattled when one would come loose. I had to glue them back with a little black silicone sealant. It could also be loose baffle or handles.

Yeah, had a VM cab with those shitty plastic handles that developed a wicked buzz / rattle. Check that for sure and bust out the silicone.

Thanks guy for your insight, I really appreciate it! @tpruitt, I did number one and three but not two. It did not even cross my mind to check those handles. Makes sense though. @CrazyNutz, I will also check center caps of speaks. I will report back tonight after work.

Those handles drive me nuts. My '76 Marshall Cab recently developed horribly buzzy handles. Finally just had them replaced with new metal ones that are bolted on.

Checked cab handles, they are not the issue. Checked center cap of speakers, all good. Talked with Sweetwater today, I have done everything they can think of before sending back for repairs other than changing the oHm setting. I'm going to switch from 16 to 8 this afternoon and see what happens.

Sending the amp back? It appears you have a speaker problem. If it was the amp it would come out of all the speakers. You tried it on your buddies cab and it didn't do it. So it does not appear to be the amp. Another way you can isolate it is you have a stereo cab right? Set it in stereo and set the amp to 8 ohms and try each half of the cab and see what happens.

Thanks Dave! I will totally try your recommendation this afternoon after work. I am still in the process of trying more than what I've done already. I am again leaning toward what you have said, speaker issue. I am also looking into everything within my guitars. Thanks again for your insight.

Man It can be hard to pinpoint the direction or source of weird sounds like this. Some sounds can appear to come from a place they are not. Try moving your rig to a different location in the room (and different plug), turn everything else off, and plug your guitar (use a different guitar) in directly. See if it's still there.

old_n_salty":384io6wl said:
Have come to the conclusion that my speakers are cooked. Now I have to figure out what to replace them with.
CREAMBACKS!!! I dig the 65's and 75's so no help there! LOL!

mxr2000":2oq7kxk0 said:
old_n_salty":2oq7kxk0 said:
Have come to the conclusion that my speakers are cooked. Now I have to figure out what to replace them with.
did you try other amps with your cabs?
Yes I have. Other amps I have in my possession (single channel JCM800s, 50 & 100 watt and a 2 channel 50 watt 800) don't have the low end like a Friedman so the speaker clipping isn't as loud/noticeable but it is still there.

One last thing...Do these pics show proper glow for tubes in a Friedman? P.S. Sorry for the crappy quality. Thanks again for everyone's replies so far. You guys are great!

Attachments

• IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,550
  • IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,545
  • IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 2,544
  • IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,541
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,546
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,545
No need to worry about the blue glow if you are ;-) its gasses in the tube like the northern lights.

If the plates are turning orange/red then there's a problem.

old_n_salty":2g6pknsf said:
One last thing...Do these pics show proper glow for tubes in a Friedman? P.S. Sorry for the crappy quality. Thanks again for everyone's replies so far. You guys are great!
There is no such thing as "proper glow". Some times they glow very little or not at all and are perfectly fine.

Back