Had my smallbox combo modded.

mniel8195

I had my smallbox combo updated with the new synergy caps and other revisions. I also had a simple SAT switch installed on the back of the amp. AMAZING! I now have the tone i hear in my head in a convenient sized package. The SAT switch is like the best boost pedal built into your amp. The nice thing is that it does not sound or feel like a pedal. It feels and sounds 100% natural like a part of the amp. The amp sounds more raw and open now with the revision. It also thought the sat switch would be pretty subtle but it adds a ton of gain. I have no use for the koko boost now except for tone shaping my lead sound when i am using the neck humbucker. Love it! Thank you Dave.

I have a Smallbox Combo with Sat Switch as well. I love it and I don´t use any kind of boost pedal with it. It´s perfect just the way Dave made it! Amazing amp! Congrats!

I have the "Wildwood Edition" which has a third channel thats crazy saturated & sounds great. Is that similar to the SAT switch?

Nice. Dave is hopefully finishing up my BE updates and yes, the SAT switch sounds very natural.

danburton":551zwbe6 said:
I have the "Wildwood Edition" which has a third channel thats crazy saturated & sounds great. Is that similar to the SAT switch?

I don't think so. the Wildwood is probably closer to a HBE channel. The SAT switch actually adds diodes.

I have a DS40 inbound but REALLY am intrigued with the Smallbox. Any comparison clips of before and after?

JerEvil":1musemm9 said:
I have a DS40 inbound but REALLY am intrigued with the Smallbox. Any comparison clips of before and after?

I don't have any but it is a completely different animal. The smallbox before had just enough gain to be considered hard rock/classic rock. With the sat switch it gets straight up metal. You sacrifice a bit of the roll down volume thing but that's the only downside to having it on. It also feels tighter and more saturated which i guess is the point. No need for any kind of front end boost for solos at all. I am also running a tung sol in v1 wich makes the amp sound and feel different.

I would keep the DS the way it is because it is a fatter sounding amp. I am thinking about getting the 20 watt version to keep plugged into my torpedo live on my recording desk at all time and just have the smallbox for jamming in the room.

atrox":3dcd2ajf said:
RACKSYSTEMS":3dcd2ajf said:
The wildwood adds a sat circuit for the 3rd sound.

My bad.
Smooth move Atrox!!!! LOL!

I kid, I kid...

mniel8195":3dcd2ajf said:
JerEvil":3dcd2ajf said:

I don't have any but it is a completely different animal. The smallbox before had just enough gain to be considered hard rock/classic rock. With the sat switch it gets straight up metal. You sacrifice a bit of the roll down volume thing but that's the only downside to having it on. It also feels tighter and more saturated which i guess is the point. No need for any kind of front end boost for solos at all. I am also running a tung sol in v1 wich makes the amp sound and feel different.

I would keep the DS the way it is because it is a fatter sounding amp. I am thinking about getting the 20 watt version to keep plugged into my torpedo live on my recording desk at all time and just have the smallbox for jamming in the room.
Nice! I am definitely not doing anything to the DS... yet! LOL!

I have a bunch of 100 watt amps but am not gigging anymore where I need that much firepower. The DS is going to be my pedal platform for my YouTube channel. Loved the Butterslax I had access to and have been looking at the BE-100 but I know I don't need that much horsepower. The SB with the Sat switch might be just what I am looking for.

Wildwood Smallbox is killer! If it's possible for Dave to add that 3rd sound with adj volume to your SB...go for it

I got the standard (2015) Smallbox and would love to get this 3rd channel for a natural boost option, cuz I really don't like using pedals nowadays. Just amp and guitar. Would be nice a little reverb too... LOL.

Ejblives":15a0tmlq said:
Wildwood Smallbox is killer! If it's possible for Dave to add that 3rd sound with adj volume to your SB...go for it
Yeah I have had the DS40 for a minute but the Small Box (Wildwood) WILL be my next amp!

Back