Review: New caps for Smallbox 50 and new speakers for 2x12

switch

Installed the Synergy caps in my 2014 Smallbox 50 and wow: it sounds great! It's crunchier, less low bass and high treble, a more focused tone and a more woody but articulate responce. It's perfect, to these ears it sounds extremely close to my beloved vintage Marshalls.

I had a Creamback 65 - V30 combo in the Friedman 2x12 that sounded great but... tried to combine my new favorite speakers: the Creamback 75 and the alnico Cream... That combination is the bomb! So organic, so smooth, so clear... It's another awesome flavor and it sounds extremely balanced with the Smallbox, made some recordings and a great flat closed miced sound is extremely easy to capture no matter which speaker I choose. Great fat, cutting and in-the-mix tones.

Dave Friedman is one of the true masters of voicing an amp, really well thought useful tones, bravo!

Everything you've said is so true! My BE100 sounds wonderful Live or in the studio at low volume after the Synergy Caps and the negative-feedback adjusted. I also had the Gain Structure switch added and the Clean Channel Conversion (2015) SS100. I did some recording in my studio and the BE had this "Plexi-Voice" Vintage to Modern ability and like you mentioned it reminded me of the Marshall's (beloved) that I've had. Dave is seriously one of the best builders that I ever worked with for my tones (experience with Bogner, Soldano, Suhr, Fryette), in pro studio's the engineers love working with The Friedman Amps.

Interestingly a week ago my son was Tweaking the BE100 along side his SLO and he commented that the BE sounded "Killer" at low volume and has this authority, vocal-like so close to "Loud Live-Level" and that the Master Volume is so Smooth, now he's getting a Smallbox \../

Great to hear about your "SmallBox 50" giving you awesome tones, I believe it's in the small details that Dave excels.

You guys are killing me...

I keep thinking of taking my BE100 to Dave for a retube. ( I'm only a couple of hours from LA) But it's a slippery slope!...I want a volume for the BOOST so I can set it up as a lead boost. I keep hearing the reports of the negative feedback mod only thing I'd change other than that... I like the "old" no eq clean better than the in mine.... Still the best amp ever. I think Dave and I are kindred spirits...I'm aways tweaking stuff too! LOL!!!

Back