Speaker choices for BE-100: Creambacks?

MoosOnAir

Hi guys,

I went down the rabbit hole of "finding the right speaker for my amp, even though the old ones are fine". Last weekend, I stripped an old 4x12 cab of it's speakers and put in 4 different speakers. I soldered a selector switch together, that enabled me to switch speakers on the fly. Downside to the experiment: I only had one of each. I used some old (mid '80 / '90) Celestions, which sounded horrible, IMO. I also had a Celestion V30, WGS Invader 50 and a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback, which sounded cool!

I found that I liked the Creamback a lot, at least: on it's own, in a 4x12 enclosure without the backplate on. I compared it to my gig-cab, which is a Bogner 412 with V30 / Greenback speakers. There's something in the V30 sound that I recognized from using it in the 412 I stripped and my Bogner cab. It's in the high mid frequencies - not something that I dislike or love; just always there.

The Creamback didn't have that and I think I liked it better. I see other Friedman cabs being offered with Creamback speakers, but the normal 412 is still with V30 / Greenback speakers. I am thinking along the lines of a G12M-65 Creamback / G12H-75 Creamback combination for a 412 cabinet.

Anybody tried a 412 (or smaller) filled with Creambacks for their BE-100?

My Friedman cab is filled with the H75 Creambacks. I went that rout after recording and being able to hear the isolated speakers. The GB's sounded great, but the v30's sounded like bright, icky ass.

I went to the H75 and it sounds glorious. Full. No annoying upper mid thing. Just really well balanced in ever frequency.

atrox":93y4yl6r said:
My Friedman cab is filled with the H75 Creambacks. I went that rout after recording and being able to hear the isolated speakers. The GB's sounded great, but the v30's sounded like bright, icky ass.

I went to the H75 and it sounds glorious. Full. No annoying upper mid thing. Just really well balanced in ever frequency.
This made me LOL!

O need to trade 2 of the 4 of my 65's for 75's...

atrox":3syq7cs1 said:

Alright, good to hear that! So you felt the H75 to be more balanced than the Greenback speakers? I guess I could experiment with the H75 on the bottom, replacing the V30, and then take it from there.

JerEvil":3syq7cs1 said:
O need to trade 2 of the 4 of my 65's for 75's...

You have a 412 filled with M65 speakers? What makes you want to exchange two of them for M75 speakers?

MoosOnAir":35ra7b48 said:
atrox":35ra7b48 said:

Alright, good to hear that! So you felt the H75 to be more balanced than the Greenback speakers? I guess I could experiment with the H75 on the bottom, replacing the V30, and then take it from there.

I liked the GB's just fine. I just wanted the speakers to match. For a while i had 2 GB's and 2 H75's and it was fine, but i ended up replacing the GB's anyway.

As far as tone goes, the mids of the creambacks seem to be on par with the GB's. I like to think of them as a perfect mix of GB mids added to am old vented T75. Very tight and very full sounding. Cuts through hard.

I believe Friedman will be offering a higher wattage Greenback in the future. There's a Demo of Greg Koch paying at the Friedman booth at NAMM. Sounded very good

Back