Friedman BE mods

Jon BCN

I want a BE100, but I want it with a lot of mods that are not available in the regular version as far as I know.

Mods like the one that allows you to have the compression of the previous versions vs the new 2016 compression.

Im from Barcelona, Fanatic Guitars is a dealer here. Can I demand a modified version of the BE100 through them?

I would like to know if this is possible & how much time approximately I would have to wait and how much would be the cost of the mod.

Could be done not much different. Filtering is a bit softer and negative feedback has changed. You they could request a custom one.

RACKSYSTEMS":9t4lmbro said:
Could be done not much different. Filtering is a bit softer and negative feedback has changed. You they could request a custom one.

Dave what has the filtering and NF changed to if you don't mind me asking? Mine is a 2014 and filtering I believe is 22uf on the pre, 100uf PI, 32uf screens and 100uf mains. NF is 47k.

BrentSP":11o0twew said:
RACKSYSTEMS":11o0twew said:

Dave what has the filtering and NF changed to if you don't mind me asking? Mine is a 2014 and filtering I believe is 22uf on the pre, 100uf PI, 32uf screens and 100uf mains. NF is 47k.

The 2014's should have 16uf (two 33uf in series = 16uf) on the screens, and 50uf (two 100uf in series = 50uf) on the mains. The latest gut shot I've seen shows one of the 33uf screen filters removed, this means the screens filtering increased to 33uf.

The NFB change that I see is just a simple move to the 4 ohm tap (less NFB), giving a more open, louder, raw sound. This will also make it a little brighter, however that can be tamed with lowering the presence knob.

Made the newer amps a bit stiffer as people seemed to want more attack and brightness.. 2 47uf's in the preamp, 100uf phase ( single),47 uf screen (Single 47uf), 50 uf mains( 2 100f in series) also the Negative feedback is off the 4 ohm tap.

RACKSYSTEMS":4adx3u99 said:
Made the newer amps a bit stiffer as people seemed to want more attack and brightness.. 2 47uf's in the preamp, 100uf phase ( single),47 uf screen (Single 47uf), 50 uf mains( 2 100f in series) also the Negative feedback is off the 4 ohm tap.

Ah, so you basically went to 1969+ SLP filtering spec., Interesting progression Dave.

A cool option would be to have a switch to switch between 16uf, and 47uf on the screens.

Or a "RAW" / "REFINED" switch that switches both the screen filtering, and the NFB

CrazyNutz":2yjfj4vg said:
RACKSYSTEMS":2yjfj4vg said:

Ah, so you basically went to 1969+ SLP filtering spec., Interesting progression Dave.

A cool option would be to have a switch to switch between 16uf, and 47uf on the screens.

Or a "RAW" / "REFINED" switch that switches both the screen filtering, and the NFB

Poor Dave, so many wants and so many switches on a single amp :D. I adore my 2014 BE, the only thing I wouldn't mind having is the structure switch and I could do that myself but I don't want to void the warranty. And my DS, god do I love that amp.

I love that he takes a proven superb sounding design, makes it his own and basis all his other models on the same design but with tweaks here and there. It's smart and simple. If reinhold would had done the same thing with the Ecstasy design and making other models based off that omg would be a thing of beauty.

I have a 2014 BE 100. I loved it, but after much hemming and hawing, I decided to have Dave update it to the 2016 specs and mod the clean channel to the SS 100 specs. I could not be happier! I didn't think the amp could sound any better, but it does. It's more open and articulate, and the gain structure switch is fantastic. And the clean channel ... WOW! I didn't buy the amp for the clean channel, but modding it to the SS100 specs made my BE 100 the perfect all in one amp for me. Thanks, Dave.

VegasMD":20qy6w59 said:
I have a 2014 BE 100. I loved it, but after much hemming and hawing, I decided to have Dave update it to the 2016 specs and mod the clean channel to the SS 100 specs. I could not be happier! I didn't think the amp could sound any better, but it does. It's more open and articulate, and the gain structure switch is fantastic. And the clean channel ... WOW! I didn't buy the amp for the clean channel, but modding it to the SS100 specs made my BE 100 the perfect all in one amp for me. Thanks, Dave.

What does he charge for the update? I called, left a message at racksystems and tone merchants and also sent an email to friedman a while and still waiting for a reply or call back.

RACKSYSTEMS":7hx7o0es said:
What year amp is it? I did not see a email.

Dave I can forward the original email if need be. There's actually two I sent to friedmanamps@gmail.com. One 10/12/16 and another 10/17/16. I did leave a message via phone with the number you showed in your signature at Hugeracks forum and also with two of the tone merchant guys last week. It's really not a big deal I was just asking for a quote on updating my BE. I've sent you other emails about the DS and inquiring if you would mod my Shiva and you have always been prompt in replying back. Shit happens no worries.

It's a 2014 I believe. Serial is 072814

I had mine updated and the results were better than i expected.

The S switch is a nice touch. Definitely makes the amp a bit more versatile on the lower gain stuff.

The circuit mods just open the amp up a little bit. Give it a bit more plexi grit. Less refined in a good way, but not a huge departure from the old tone either. The Friedman BE tone is there, but maybe a bit more dynamic and open. Hard to describe.

Back