Friedman 2x12 cab Owners... V30's

Adambomb

I recently got a steal of a deal on a lightly used Friedman 2x12. Amp is a BE100. As I do like the V30's, I'm also thinking of swapping out one or both for a Creamback H75, maybe even two H75's. I like tight bass and clarity in the highs, play mostly classic-Heavy rock. Would love two Alnico Creams but not sure I'd like the tone more than the idea.

I was just wondering if there's anyone else that has replaced one or both V30's and what was the overall outcome.

I replaced my V30's in my Friedman 2x12" by Greenbacks a few years ago. I play classic/heavy rock like you. To be honest, I thought the V30's sounded terrible: brittle is the best word to describe it.
The GB's sound much warmer and smoother. Like they're projecting the sound of an amplifier instead of a roll of biscuits....

I have the 412, but initially replaced the v30's on the bottoms with two H75's after hearing the speakers recorded and isolated. Like above, the v30's sounded brittle as hell compared to the GB's on top. I eventually replaced the GB's with H75's too.

You can not beat an H75 IMO

Yea you guys are right about V30's sounding brittle and harsh, but from my experience once they break in a good while that harshness goes away. And Also I like a little bit of high-end spike from a cab, just not two V30's. I'm thinking of leaving one V30 and replacing the other with an H75, this combo should sound great.

BTW I have a Bogner OS2x12 and replaced both speakers with M65's and that was was to muddy for me. So I actually still have two M65's that I haven't used in since I bought them over a year ago and would trade for two H75's.

Yeah. The H75's recorded like my Greenbacks with a touch of extra sparkle. I love them.

That said, i liked the GB/v30 combo before i isolated them. Just don't mic the v30 and you should have a good combo there.

IMHO the Creambacks sound like a cross between a v30, and a Greenback. The M-65 sounding a little closer to a Greenback, and the H-75 sounding a little closer to a v30.

Both the M-65, and the H-75 sound great, can't go wrong.

CrazyNutz":1zpw2kxg said:
IMHO the Creambacks sound like a cross between a v30, and a Greenback. The M-65 sounding a little closer to a Greenback, and the H-75 sounding a little closer to a v30.

Both the M-65, and the H-75 sound great, can't go wrong.

I can see where you get that, since the lows and highs are pretty close on the V30 and H75. It's the mid structure that varies greatly. Less honky high mids in the H75 which give that honk and brittleness. The H75 mids are more along the lines of the GB's. V30's work for some amps, but not any Marshall variant IMO. From my experience and taste at least.

I just recieved a new Runt 2x12 cab with v30s, i was expecting it to sound bright and maybe harsh since they are new speakers. However first impressions i was very surprised and pleased. The cab has a big bottom end, nice low mids and smooth highs. It makes my mesa recto cab sound hash and muddy.

I was hessitant to spend $900 on a 2x12 cab but i have to say so far it was worth it and i know tge speakers will sound better after they break in more

I run my Dirty Shirley through 2 1x12 DS mini cabs one Creamback loaded and one V30 both sound killer but the V30 got the edge to cut through the mix

Back