BE 100 Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Observations +

RACKSYSTEMS":3oeyhws5 said:
Synergy caps are not brighter at all. In fact the mallory caps are brighter on the highs and more scooped in the mids. What the synergy caps do well is in the midrange. The amp breaks into harmonic feedback when sliding up to a note much better.. Really the only way to a/b anything is to have 2 amps and a amp switcher in real time.. Then you really see the differences. I would say about 98% of everyone who has tried the newer specs like it more. Just my thoughts here.

After Dave's comment, I did some testing, and I take it back, the Synergy's are not brighter. They have less bass than the mallory 150's. The Mallory's are little flubby/smeary in the bass, and have a lower midrange.

RACKSYSTEMS":25qp71f5 said:
Synergy caps are not brighter at all. In fact the mallory caps are brighter on the highs and more scooped in the mids. What the synergy caps do well is in the midrange. The amp breaks into harmonic feedback when sliding up to a note much better.. Really the only way to a/b anything is to have 2 amps and a amp switcher in real time.. Then you really see the differences. I would say about 98% of everyone who has tried the newer specs like it more. Just my thoughts here.

This is cool info. So with that said, did you end up removing a few 500p caps off the plates that were filtering out the highs since you went to Synergy caps? Or maybe by going to the 4 ohm tap made up for it.

Also I haven't seen this discussed in detail........what change was done to the Voicing switch for the recent revision? I know the older version was a .68uf on the cathode switching in and out a 450uf in parallel.

BrentSP":ssdpvntf said:
did you end up removing a few 500p caps off the plates that were filtering out the highs since you went to Synergy caps? Or maybe by going to the 4 ohm tap made up for it.

Don't think he remove any of the 500pf plate caps. Not at least from the ones i've seen. Going to the 4ohm tap def makes the amp less dark and more raw.

CrazyNutz":1tn375y2 said:
BrentSP":1tn375y2 said:
did you end up removing a few 500p caps off the plates that were filtering out the highs since you went to Synergy caps? Or maybe by going to the 4 ohm tap made up for it.

Don't think he remove any of the 500pf plate caps. Not at least from the ones i've seen. Going to the 4ohm tap def makes the amp less dark and more raw.

So any info on the voicing switch update since you've seen the new revision?

BrentSP":3ko3rjwm said:
CrazyNutz":3ko3rjwm said:
BrentSP":3ko3rjwm said:

So any info on the voicing switch update since you've seen the new revision?

I don't know what he changed in the voicing switch as of yet, I haven't seen one new enough to have those changes. I do however know info on the structure switch.

Well, I owned a Marsha for a while back in the day, had an original BE-100 (dual input), bought a new 2014 BE-100, and also had a late 2015 BE-100 (right before the 2016 updates). I now have a 2017 BE-100 on the way, so we'll see how it goes... :thumbsup:

NewWorldMan":1gi4yumv said:
Well, I owned a Marsha for a while back in the day, had an original BE-100 (dual input), bought a new 2014 BE-100, and also had a late 2015 BE-100 (right before the 2016 updates). I now have a 2017 BE-100 on the way, so we'll see how it goes... :thumbsup:

I have 2013 Gen 1 (?) and 2014 Gen 2 (?) BE 100's. They are great and very road worthy but I just acquired a killer 1976 SLP Friedman Kitchen Sink. (Marshall before removing LL?) Holy smokes this thing is open and killer. Live I will use this and my Cameron Cantrell non cathode follower One Off (One off due to tone stack).

Huge difference between the factory BE 100's and the modded SLP. Both are great. The BE 100's are smoother but the SLP KS just has the perfect raw sizzle to it, not fizz but growling sizzle...

I installed a Metro Zero loss in it as the 1976 SLP had the 2 extra UL required speaker jacks and the loop mated up for that layout. My 1980 JMP 2203 had less distance between speaker jacks.

NewReligion":1w860e14 said:
NewWorldMan":1w860e14 said:

I have 2013 Gen 1 (?) and 2014 Gen 2 (?) BE 100's. They are great and very road worthy but I just acquired a killer 1976 SLP Friedman Kitchen Sink. (Marshall before removing LL?) Holy smokes this thing is open and killer. Live I will use this and my Cameron Cantrell non cathode follower One Off (One off due to tone stack).

Huge difference between the factory BE 100's and the modded SLP. Both are great. The BE 100's are smoother but the SLP KS just has the perfect raw sizzle to it, not fizz but growling sizzle...

I installed a Metro Zero loss in it as the 1976 SLP had the 2 extra UL required speaker jacks and the loop mated up for that layout. My 1980 JMP 2203 had less distance between speaker jacks.

That year SLP would have more filtering, closer to what the current BE100 has. Also a different choke that would be more aggressive.

Just picked up a 1976 Marshall SL Friedman Kitchen Sink. I had to correct the SAT mod and Install a Metro Zero Loss Loop as it fits right in the two extra speaker jacks at 1.5" on center. I prefer it over my 2013 and 2014 BE 100's even though it is a single channel amps. Great mid's but a bit more raw with greater highs and lows...

Don't get me wrong I will not part with any of the three but the KS or Marsha what ever it is to be known as just cries and blooms where the factory BE 100's do not. ♫

NewReligion":fa9smh2y said:
Just picked up a 1976 Marshall SL Friedman Kitchen Sink. I had to correct the SAT mod and Install a Metro Zero Loss Loop as it fits right in the two extra speaker jacks at 1.5" on center. I prefer it over my 2013 and 2014 BE 100's even though it is a single channel amps. Great mid's but a bit more raw with greater highs and lows...

Don't get me wrong I will not part with any of the three but the KS or Marsha what ever it is to be known as just cries and blooms where the factory BE 100's do not. ♫

Nice! Can you make out where he’s getting the extra highs from in the circuit? Cathodes and grids all the same? Plate resistors have 500p peak caps? NFB resistor value? To which ohm tap?

BrentSP":3f1z7si0 said:
Nice! Can you make out where he’s getting the extra highs from in the circuit? Cathodes and grids all the same? Plate resistors have 500p peak caps? NFB resistor value? To which ohm tap?

The KS mods I've seen, do not have the 500pf snubbers on the plates. They have 330k plate resistors. The NFB comes off the speaker jack.

The cathode follower does however have the 500pf.

BrentSP":3qmfkqhf said:
NewReligion":3qmfkqhf said:

NFB is 47K. VX Plate has a 500PF paralleled over the 220k in series with a 100k instead of the usual 100pf paralleled with the 500pf in series with a 220k.

I dont think that is enough to make this difference. This does not have the 220k off the wiper of the Treble to a 1meg like my stock Friedman BE100's do. I would look more closely at that IMO. I use that mod to darken and smooth out some ratty amps I have worked.

Keep me in the loop.

David, I can tell you that I just "Love" my BE100 (2015 modified) in this photo side by side with my sons SLO even he stated that he thought the BE100 sounded better for the "Modified Marshall" meets Fender clean, and I still love the SLO. I still own a Marshall 50w that was modified by J. Arrendondo (from way back in the '80s) just haven't let it go, it's a bit noisy. I had a 100w Marshall modded by Cameron it was good for a certain sound as he tried to copy Jose's design but I felt it was centered around "One Certain Tone" and it didn't remind me of any of the Great Marshall tones that I love, as Jose seemed to modified it with more Gain, tighter lows and Not trying to copy "Someone else's" like so many try to copy EVH (early days) even Ed after a couple of albums didn't like "His Tone" which is funny because I loved his playing first then his tone? I felt that my Cameron nailed DOKKEN - UNCHAIN THE NIGHT tone but that's George's Tone! (which is awesome) Unfortunately it wasn't versatile enough to get much else. My BE100 can get the EVH/Lynch and so much more and what I love the most I can find "My Tone" what's awesome I can do Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, EJ, G. Moore, to early R. Blackmore MIJ live plexi-tone "WOW", it's so genuinely versatile with the great Marshall/Fender heritage, love it!
sDokGZsh.jpg

MantraSky":di7hoqwb said:
David, I can tell you that I just "Love" my BE100 (2015 modified) in this photo side by side with my sons SLO even he stated that he thought the BE100 sounded better for the "Modified Marshall" meets Fender clean, and I still love the SLO. I still own a Marshall 50w that was modified by J. Arrendondo (from way back in the '80s) just haven't let it go, it's a bit noisy. I had a 100w Marshall modded by Cameron it was good for a certain sound as he tried to copy Jose's design but I felt it was centered around "One Certain Tone" and it didn't remind me of any of the Great Marshall tones that I love, as Jose seemed to modified it with more Gain, tighter lows and Not trying to copy "Someone else's" like so many try to copy EVH (early days) even Ed after a couple of albums didn't like "His Tone" which is funny because I loved his playing first then his tone? I felt that my Cameron nailed DOKKEN - UNCHAIN THE NIGHT tone but that's George's Tone! (which is awesome) Unfortunately it wasn't versatile enough to get much else. My BE100 can get the EVH/Lynch and so much more and what I love the most I can find "My Tone" what's awesome I can do Pat Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, EJ, G. Moore, to early R. Blackmore MIJ live plexi-tone "WOW", it's so genuinely versatile with the great Marshall/Fender heritage, love it!
XQ1Jv0ol.jpg

Well damn lol...looks like I will now need a 2015 BE 100 to go with my 2013, 2014 and 1976 Friedman KS HBE SL 100. Stepping off track for a minute Mark Cameron has been really good to me as an individual. I have reverse engineered most of his work. It is obvious to me that he aims to please the ear of the customer. I have a 50 watt Cantrell non CF with a unique tone stack (one off) that just sings when it is not crying. The Cameron Jose/Atomica is the EVH all around tone to my ear. I can hear the zener's...It allows the clarity of low gain with amazing amounts of smooth clipping. Not really a fan of the Aldrich/Old Bitch as due to the way the signal feeds into V2 (a bit fizzy were the 3 I owned).

The BE 100 HBE (+ or- the SAT & C45) is cool but deviations on the theme of a 4 stage non CF with traditional TS is incredible once you learn how to stabilize the oscillation and noise. I feel fortunate to know enough to work on these circuits. Just my $.02...I will make a point to locate a 2015,2016, and 2017 BE 100 and try them out but my 1976 Friedman HBE KS spanks the 2013 and 2014 hands down as a single channel amp. Peace...♫

David I completely understand what your saying! I'm really more of a session player these days than when I was touring with the Marshall's (all modified of course) so I don't know all there is to the technical details specifically, though I do know "Great Tone" I own more amps than I can speak of though I'm more of a player than collector.

I knew Mark Cameron when he was working with Reinhold Bogner, I would stop in the shop and we would talk (ask Mark about the orange FullDrive origin), Mark's also a good guitarist and has a good ear for tone although like I said his amps have a "Particular" sound for a particular period that has that "Nasal-Like Tone?" (semi-opened wah pedal-like) whereas his Modified Marshall's sound way better to me.

My BE100 has been over at Dave's a few times getting modified, more to what I like but Dave is so skilled at having a great ear and knowledge of musical gear, he just knows what's the best balance in a "Great" sounding Modified Marshall and it's variations than most! I also own Bogner, Soldano, Suhr, Fryette (VHT), Mesa, Modified Marshall's and original JTM45, 1959 SLP etc. Wonderful amps. Being in studios everyday I need versatility my BE100 is "My Top Performer" and in serious recording situations, it's what I choose (I also have Modelers and IR), now if it's "Metal" my son's "Fortin Natas" (he also owns an SLO) kills everything in front of it, it sounds Huge & Destructive with great tone (a bit much for me but I like It).

\../

I have the 2015. Love it - and it would make sense that I would as I was a long-term 101b player. Plus, my favorite tones are Eric Johnson, Cream-era Clapton and Fair Warning VH. Those are all dark tones.

I do wish I had either the SS100 or Buxom Betty cleans.

I had my BE100 Clean Channel Converted to the SS100 and I really like it! Originally the BE clean sounded good sort of "Vox-Like" which is a great clean but I "Much Prefer" the Fender tones similar to the Twin & Deluxe (for me) I'm more of a Strat Type player (HSS/HSH) than Les Paul. The Gain sounds a lot better since Dave changed the Synergy Caps & Negative Feedback modifications. This is definitely my favorite EL34 Marshall Inspired amp, I also own a Bogner XTC 100b, 101b, Classic and Shiva and VHT Pittbull Classic, and a CAA PT100 their all EL34 but the BE100 for tone & function is awesome! I love the fact that I can go Metheny, Carlton, Johnson Clean to SRV, Clapton, Beck Mid-Gain Blues/Rock to EVH, Lynch, Blackmore, Schenker Rock/Metal with authority, seriously great amps!

Back