SLAX IN DA HIZZY!!!!!

Ventura":1vqnax59 said:
Always here for my buds!!

Sorry man. I'm outta here.
The elitist snobs on here can't handle the fact that a $4,000 tube amp is not "for everyone".

I'm going over to another forum. Where people use "regular" gear, and they aren't ashamed of it.
This place is full of rich snobby assholes. ( You are the exception. )

Take care man. It was fun chatting with you for a bit! :thumbsup:

oldmtlhed":2vxwthzs said:
......Sorry man. I'm outta here.
The elitist snobs on here can't handle the fact that a $4,000 tube amp is not "for everyone".

I'm going over to another forum. Where people use "regular" gear, and they aren't ashamed of it.

yes sir..... You are out of here.
PERMA BANNED!
;)

Mailman1971":1atjoy1o said:
oldmtlhed":1atjoy1o said:
......Sorry man. I'm outta here.

yes sir..... You are out of here.
PERMA BANNED!
;)
Dafuq just happened here :confused: :dunno:

Its easy.
guy joins...
starts bashing all the members for having gear better then his crate. Criticizing and just being a real jack ass.
Instead of trying to embrace the community he was here to judge it. I gotten SEVERAL COMPLAINTS on taming this guy down.
He was warned several times to cool it. He just bitched about people getting amps that cost more then $350. Over.... and over.... and over....
dived into peoples classified adds. Talking shit. Then backing off "Hey I am not trying to be a dick...." bullshit..... But of course he was being a dick.
He needs a 'don't play nice with others' t-shirt. Unless he can grow up and be civil he can just hit the bricks. :yes:

Oh wait.... He is hitting the bricks. I tossed him out on his head. :LOL: :LOL:

What a Jackass. :D

Mailman1971":286xqvqc said:
Its easy.
guy joins...
starts bashing all the members for having gear better then his crate. Criticizing and just being a real jack ass.
Instead of trying to embrace the community he was here to judge it. I gotten SEVERAL COMPLAINTS on taming this guy down.
He was warned several times to cool it. He just bitched about people getting amps that cost more then $350. Over.... and over.... and over....
dived into peoples classified adds. Talking shit. Then backing off "Hey I am not trying to be a dick...." bullshit..... But of course he was being a dick.
He needs a 'don't play nice with others' t-shirt. Unless he can grow up and be civil he can just hit the bricks. :yes:

Oh wait.... He is hitting the bricks. I tossed him out on his head. :LOL: :LOL:

What a Jackass. :D
Hey Danno, did you ever realize we (you and I) joined RT exactly 1 year and 1 hour to the day apart from one another??

Cool.

I was on the mts board. Buddy from there told me about rig talk.
Loved it. Sold my Randall. Been downhill since. :LOL: :LOL:
Still eyeballing that EVH EL34. :D
Want to check one out.

Mailman1971":1obhmupj said:
Still eyeballing that EVH EL34. :D
Want to check one out.

I was eyeballing that one too, Dan! Tried it out last week. It was nice but there is something in there that was different but at the same time familiar to that series. Just not sure if it was for me. The bloody headshell is massive as well!

PARTIAL VERDICT IN:

Set up:
ESP NT-7 tuned half-step down
Vovox 15ft cable in
Butterslax
Vovox patch to UberKab
Power cord

HOLY FUCKING ARMAGEDDON men!! :shocked: :rawk:

Tone intact throughout all channels - check!
Note clarity and definition and articulation throughout all channels and even with massive gain - check!
Low end - holy mother of hell, this thing not only moves furniture but blows the goddman lint outta my asscrack - check!
Sounds delicious and raw and juicy and absolutely possessed by the wickedest of sonic demons - check!
Plays nice with guitar controls - check!
Versatility - WAY more than I'd ever expected, so a bigass definite - check!
Tasty? Um....hands down speechless - aaaaaaaaaaaand - CHECK!!

Preference between the JJ and Slax?? How about we just say one just HAPPENS to have their two hottest favourite EVAR!!!! goddesses at your beck and call, wearing only beautiful g-strings and stilettos, sauntering around your house 24/7... It doesn't matter which you choose, it's just so damn fine.... SO damn fine.

*Heaven and Heavenly Hellacious*

More to follow - fingers raw - but my GAWD.... like, um, ya....speechless at this time.

Mr. Friedman - "thanks" is the least I can offer at this juncture of time.

These amp?? :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :rawk:

Damn bro. Congrats. :thumbsup:
Have read all your reviews. All your amps.
Have never seen you praise one like this.
Not even close. I trust your ears. And sounds like I need to purge some things and save my pennies :D

Mailman1971":3pl94xzw said:
Damn bro. Congrats. :thumbsup:
Have read all your reviews. All your amps.
Have never seen you praise one like this.
Not even close. I trust your ears. And sounds like I need to purge some things and save my pennies :D
Well, I usually describe my gear with lengthy, thought out, detailed prose. It was late last night and I was super tired. We all know what amps do and how they [often] sound. This is an amp - the Slax - like many other amps. It just makes loud guitar noises. I want to simply state that here's a 100 amps, and here's what sets the 5 unique ones apart, the other 95 can all comfortably fall under the umbrella of a Mesa style, Marshall style, Fender style, 5150/6505, Soldano, Fryette - boom - that about "generalizes" 90% of amps out there. What grabs my nuts about the Bogners, Diezel and now Friedman is how they separate themselves from the pack.

The JJ seriously does have Cantrell's vibe ALL over it - and for me - I love this. Because hey, I play every AIC song there is anyway - always loved it.
I love the VH4 + Marshall tone of the Jones (Adam) - but he's got some serious signal chain going on in there and also a unique approach to playing, so I'll never really get into copping Adam Jones' tone or their music for that matter - it's fucking brilliant, just not my place to try and copy or jam out to...but they're my fave band, let's be clear.
Bogners took typical and made them chewy and grinding and lush and rich - I fell head over heels in love with this new juiciness.
VH4 - Diezel - NOTHING can touch or replicate Ch.3, period.
Now Friedman comes along and he's got more "uniqueness" that separate him from the pack - I dove in, and? Am blown away with what I'm hearing because not only is it rich, thick, articulate, lush and juicy; it's also *different* from the pack.

I like different.
The Friedmans are just on their own a really great design and the tones they offer are "the tones in my head" - really nice to get that... I know that sounds cliche and it likely is, but whatever, it's fact. Furthermore, there's mojo going on with these amps - things I really pick up on with amps that I've come to love are touch sensitivity, dynamics, articulation, bloom and definition, range, etc. May seem like ALL AMPS OFFER THIS, but lemme tell ya, they don't. Or at least not in the ways that I find preferential in my playing, wants and styles.

Don't go off selling shit to buy a Butterslax just because of me. There's no honeymoon phase with me - I just know what I like and I know what I don't. Friedmans' amps are new ground (more or less) to me, and it's only in playing them that I've really gotten to appreciate the inherent mojo. As mentioned to a friend, I thought Dave's amps were over-hyped glam boxes for quite a number of years. I came to realize I was ignorant. And I have NO problem stating when I'm wrong or in err. These really are special amps - to me - maybe not for everyone - but to me they're fucking great. Just like Diezel, and Bogner and Mako have been over the years. They're special.

I just have to say - the Butterslax has delivered hi-gain brutality in a way that I've not really heard before - it's thick, powerful as a fucking tornado, loud as a jet, but throughout all of this you can hear each note - tell me know this is possible?? I'm serious - the "range" on this amp has my legs feeling like they're getting batted with pillows when I'm playing - it's funny and surprising and quite unbelievable al the same - but the notes are all there with lots of gain should one so choose.

I still don't like Mastodon and not really keen on Kelliher's playing - no offence. Not my guy. Just really dig the amp.
Hope this makes sense.
Peace
Mo :rock: :thumbsup:

Mailman1971":2djv22dm said:
Thanks brother. :rock:
Hey, more then welcome... And by the way, another aspect of this "magic mojo" is that you can actually get that saturated power-tube grind and sag WITHOUT having to go to noon on the MV. I've spent time up to noon and it's almost barbaric, but this isn't always how we can or want to play. So, knock it down, the MV has a beautiful taper on BOTH the Slax and the JJ (and I'm assuming is a little trick DF knows and keeps dear to his engineering), and you can still get this beautiful sagging punchy grunt without deafening SPLs.

So much mojo... :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Sincerely,
Mojo :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup:

I got a ton of cash burning a hole in my pocket.
Been leaning on a EVH EL34 5150 III
But might hold on a bit for a Slax. Nothing else really sparking my interest.
I can see me caving for the EVH though. :LOL: :LOL:
Scott Ians Vid just moves me. :D

Ventura your descriptions are the best lol! Such an awesome amp... finally wired up my pedal board this weekend and been running a 10 band eq in the loop, sounds so damn good. :rock:

errrrrl":tf3sru9s said:
Ventura your descriptions are the best lol! Such an awesome amp... finally wired up my pedal board this weekend and been running a 10 band eq in the loop, sounds so damn good. :rock:
Hey thanks man!! I try to be honest and detailed in my descriptions so people can kinda make a personal call on their own, you know?? As for clips - as most RT'ers know my take on clips - I don't like clips, or iPhone takes, or the usual song and dance moves on trying to capture an amp's mojo with thrown-together kit/mic/Zoom, etc - nothing sounds at all real off a computer unless the "observer" is running a high def flac file through a proper set of monitors or ear goggles. Listening to riffs off YT and the like, you get at best 50% man, that's it. There are those "well equipped" to do clips effectively (Reza, for instance, as he's into sound engineering/production and has all the gear to record "properly") but then 99% of those interested (just assuming here..., grumpy, sorry) are listening on their iPhones or Macbook Airs, or Acer laptops, or whatever - not really giving second thought to the fact that no condensed speaker is going to give you anything near what's being originally captured in the first take. So I prefer words.

Anyway, to anyone wondering - just try to get into a room with a Slax (or whatever amp you're keen on) and play it. One thing for sure is with the Slax and the JJ, they respond very very much so to the input of the player, the equipment, pups/woods/cabs/etc. It's not just a "blanket" statement that "this is a good amp" - these amps are sensitive to a lot of variables - in a good way.

Say errrrrl, what cab you using?? :confused:

Ventura":wjn9h9or said:
stephen sawall":wjn9h9or said:
In my car heading that way. Should be there for lunch.
Coming up to Whistler man???? :2thumbsup:

I wish ... Not today. But would be very into seeing the rigs. I'm in the process if going through everything I own also.... More boxes.

errrrrl":186bcyjj said:
Ventura":186bcyjj said:
Say errrrrl, what cab you using?? :confused:
I'm using a 3rd Power Amplification 3x12 ;) It's pretty cool and very tight. 3 vintage 30s in it. It's about the size of an over sized Bogner 2x12. Old post here -> http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=178089&p=1992543&hilit=3x12#p1991786
I fucked up and saw your post of the 3rd Power Amplification cab on the main RT thread and thought it was a reply to the above post - WRONG SUBFORUM MO :doh:

Ya, dopeass cabs man. DOPEass :thumbsup: :rock:

Back