Speaker Change for Smallbox into a a 2x12

kojack19

Hi All,

I have had a smallbox for a few years and love it. I run it both through a Friedman 2x12 cab with Vintage 30s and also through a Suhr reactive load with impulse responses and into a Friedman ASM. I am really liking the way this amp sounds with greenback IRs and was wondering if anyone is running two celestion greenbacks or a 4x12 of them and how they like it esp vs the v30s-mine are the higher power version....I also thought I heard something about a Friedman speaker at some point about a year ago but nothing since....

thanks for the thoughts.

I prefer the greenback ir’s, too and I’ve used my 4x12 with greenbacks with a Small Box and my 100 watt heads. Classic combo, sounds great!

I used to own the same set-up...I went with two Scumback M75-PVC's. Very satisfied. The G12M-65 Creamback is also a good choice - very similar to the M75 PVC. Another classic set-up is an M75 / H75 mix.

While my rig is now different, I have a Suhr open-back 2x12 loaded with one of the M75-PVCs and a WGS Vet 30. I definitely prefer the sound of the Suhr, though I can't attest to having tried the Friedman SB through it since I had already sold it.

Creamback H75’s are great. They really do sound like a high powered greenback. Smoother on the top end, big and tight on the lows. The Alnicon Creams sound very good too.

Before pulling both V30's try running a V30/high powered GB mix (CB65 or Scum M75 etc).
I've tried numerous speakers and combinations and my go to for most of these type amps is 212 loaded w V30 & Scum M75.

Back