BE-100 died today... :-(

Rango

Dave & the rest of you Hooligans

I was practicing at volume with a backing track when I heard a pop...
Stopped and walked to the mixer and slid the master down.
Heard a hum from the BE...muted strings with my hand as I walked to the amp
Hum was constant
Just before I shut it off I heard a POP! and the red light when out. (20 seconds from the initial pop to the red light going out)
I could smell something... fuse maybe. No "smoke" just smelled "hot"

Pulled the back, no obvious discoloration on the preamp or power tubes

Pulled the Fuse, it looked okay. I expected it to be toast! So I got a voltmeter out and did a continuity test and it tested GOOD. Much to my surprise.

I'm 3 hours from Dave's shop in the High Desert. I COULD take it in but if it's just a tube, I'd rather buy them and just do the swap. ;)

Red light out but the fuse still good make me scared something more expensive acted at a "fuse" :doh:

Chris

Your not checking the mains fuse. The mains fuse is in a pullout tray in the ac receptical.. your checking the HT. Sounds totally like a tube went, as all of them suck these days.. you could do a little investigating. Get some fuses 4 amp slo blo. Then take the 2 outer tubes out and put in a new fuse. Turn it on see if it is fine. If so it's 1 of those 2 tubes. If it blows the fuse again it's one of the 2 inner tubes.. put the outer ones in and take the inner tubes out.. once it's working change the impedance to half and you then can temporarily use it at 50 watt while you sort tubes. Hope this helps

It totally helps!

Thanks SO much! :D

========
Edit:
Dave,
I pulled the fuse under the A/C plug... it's blown. Didn't even need to check it...big black mark on the glass. I'll pick up fuses tomorrow and start Trouble shooting tubes. :rock:

Update - replaced fuse
Pulled two outer power tubes ( how did Dave know? ;) )
Set Impedance to 4 with my 8 ohm Friedman 2x12

Switched on watching closely so I could power right back down....

No drama...

So plugged in guitar and ROCKED :rock:

I'm BACK UP, thanks DAVE! :thumbsup:

Back