Dirty Shirley and Phil X heads... Similar?

purpleplexi

I've been watching about a million videos on Youtube today of different amps (Friedman, EVH and on and on...). One thing that stuck out to me was that the Friedman Dirty Shirley and Phil X amps sound very similar. I've heard the Phil X amp is based on the BE100 but I don't think it sounds very much like that. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts? Perhaps I'm just crazy... haha

No the Phil X is much more similar to the BE channel (not HBE), but it is tweaked. DS is a marriage of several classic amps IIRC.

Dirty Shirley is Based on Marshall jtm 45 with a sound more loose and and great feel but with gain that can take you up to Marshall JCM800. Phil X Amp is more a single channel amp Based more as Marshall Jmp from the 70's that can take you also to a JCM800 territory but tighter and more agressive sound and Feel

I thought they sounded closer to each other (the X and the DS) than the X does to the BE (which I own). The DS to me sounds like a JCM 800 with more bass and less high-end "Pierce". haha

The Phil X sounds similar, to me... Like a JCM 800 but with way better bottom end. Not so much like a Plexi as the BE.

Thanks for the comments guys!

I find the dirty Shirley and Phil x to be quite different. Compared to both the be and dirty Shirley (but more so with the Shirley) the Phil x is more open/less compressed and has a much tighter, more immediate feel, less saggy and also drier/less saturated and I also find it it to be more raw/less polished than the other Friedmans but still more polished than other amps (especially marshslls) and I'm personally not a fan of that more polished/less raw sound but that's just me I guess

Back