BE100 with 2 tubes (inner 2)

Beandust

I have wanted to try this, i am hesitant as the master volume of this amp is super versatile and the amp sounds great at lower volumes. Has anyone ran the Be100 with only 2 power tubes( half power) and discovered anything worth mentioning, sharing..i had seen a post confirming how to do this but i didnt see any posted comments or clips. I know i could just do it for my own findings but i figured what the hell, can't hurt to ask. Anyone? Thanks

The question is - what are you trying to achieve by doing this? If you are trying to reduce volume, it won’t really help much.

I don't hear a difference but I'm playing at low volume waiting to get tubes. There's really nothing to be gained, I wouldn't be doing it if I hadn't had a power tube go bad.

I wouldn't recommend it as a way to lower volume... I doesn't. ;)

Thanks for the replies gents. Not trying to lower volume. More to get the power tubes involved maybe, as i mentioned could be pointless as the MV is maybe the feature set of this amp. Maybe the feel as well? Like a 50 watt and a 100 watt jcm800 had noticeably different feel to each. The 100 watt was cleaner and even on lower volume settings because of the headroom maybe? Glad i asked , sounds like it wouldnt matter.

Beandust":2hggmq7m said:
Maybe the feel as well? Like a 50 watt and a 100 watt jcm800 had noticeably different feel to each.

That's due to the difference between a 50 watt and a 100 watt Output Tranny and in power supply filtering. You lose some head room going to 50 watts but that's only noticeable with a good dose of volume. Volume will drop but not much, 2 to 3 decibels max.

BrentSP":2vdh8phd said:
Beandust":2vdh8phd said:
Maybe the feel as well? Like a 50 watt and a 100 watt jcm800 had noticeably different feel to each.

That's due to the difference between a 50 watt and a 100 watt Output Tranny and in power supply filtering. You lose some head room going to 50 watts but that's only noticeable with a good dose of volume. Volume will drop but not much, 2 to 3 decibels max.
So what your saying is it wouldn't change sound or feel with the BE100 by removing 2 tubes? Just wont have the ability to be as loud is all.Thanks

Only done this once when a power tube went bad. I believe Dave suggested doing this to keep jamming and playing the amp until replacement tubes were received. I couldn't tell much of a difference even when turned up but maybe there was.

Beandust":27mygsln said:
BrentSP":27mygsln said:
Beandust":27mygsln said:

So what your saying is it wouldn't change sound or feel with the BE100 by removing 2 tubes? Just wont have the ability to be as loud is all.Thanks

Just that it makes very little difference. But you can save on power tubes and once those go bad use the ones you took out.

Don't you have to change the impedence on the back when you yank two power tubes?
I think if you're running a 16 ohm cab, you have to plug it into the 8 ohm slot if you bring it down to 50 watts. I might be wrong....

Makes a noticeable difference removing two tubes. I had Dave install a 100/50w switch on the back. It removes two tubes from the circuit with out having to physically pull them.

RedPlated":dqdoad8n said:
Makes a noticeable difference removing two tubes. I had Dave install a 100/50w switch on the back. It removes two tubes from the circuit with out having to physically pull them.
Really? Kind of what I was hoping, i know i should try it but i figure if someone has its worth asking, hard to imagine any noteable difference w/o the master volume this amp.has but it is a reduced power section so maybe.. Thanks for the info!!

Beandust":7w89viky said:
RedPlated":7w89viky said:
Really? Kind of what I was hoping, i know i should try it but i figure if someone has its worth asking, hard to imagine any noteable difference w/o the master volume this amp.has but it is a reduced power section so maybe.. Thanks for the info!!

Yeah, I mean it’s easy to try. Pull two outer tubes, half the impedance, done.

Back