Just Ordered A Buxom Boost Pedal

John 14:6

I just ordered a Buxom Boost. Anyone have one yet and have suggested settings for hitting my Small Box with it to give it a little more juice but without really changing the tone?

Whats the deal with this pedal? Is it a straight up boost or amp in a box type pedal? The name is a little confusing.

acidvoodoo":1ewhbrxl said:
Whats the deal with this pedal? Is it a straight up boost or amp in a box type pedal? The name is a little confusing.
Clean boost with eq in or out, so straight boost or boost with eq to tailor whatever tones you're after.

Marco 2073":1ek86ym4 said:
Anyone try it with the SmallBox ?
I will let you know how it works with my Small Box when the pedal gets here next week. I sure it will be perfect for boosting the amp. :thumbsup:

I will get my pedal tomorrow and will test it with my Smallbox. I'll post my thoughts about it tomorrow :)

Mine came in yesterday along with a Dirty Shirley pedal. Played for a few minutes last night, bypass on with boost and tight at noon in front of a Bogner New Yorker combo loaded with an M65 Creamback and a Heritage 65 in a 1x12 CPS extension. This thing has tons of boost. I wound up rolling both tight and boost back to about 10:30/11 ish for a nice flat clean boost. Great pedal. I was running it after the DS pedal (which is also wicked) and I didn't really dig the tone of stacking the DS in front of the BB, I'll try it the other way when I get a chance. Ran both pedals in front of a BE-OD and a Diezel VH4 pedal with cooler results, definitely need more time to play and get things where I really want them. Great job on some sweet pedals Dave!

After playing with the bb and ds some more, it's definitely oknicely better in front of gain pedals. At first I tried it after the ds as a volume boost but it was too much, sounded boxy and thin. Before a gain pedal though it tightens things up and adds just a bit of gain to make things more fun. Great pedal, the ds is pretty awesome too btw. I'm running the bb in front of a bogner la grange, the ds, a be-od and a vh4 pedal into an Atma clean channel and a new Yorker. Lots of fun in this rig.

y2Ai92oDh7VguLDfO1jLyE6qTvQChl0ZwI-QNSDBk6OH832YnULQ5umZqVKatra7UJIHq2o9RKbTFMbbwhfDIzViVqkKGAR2kY26cVxDrcw14a_PENtDKMgLJSWrDR9w5kQd0dV7GfB62IGT-_cOmNNr80CG0XZ6LDSRtIiT6Fov6QhyvxtS2kFYzhWW3Pa4nn58HM0V9OMo0xKJ0bLLfZZlBzFXUVUyS-_EJa9x-zOH-HCm-EssvhR7YE6NPcWlPOjZB5l_jkMPqXdhLsKH8L-uDTju9N0px4oW58pIml7zy3YA82r4bA6gp5byauPP6caPRPC7C39SxEPayHB5sKro4wX0KJCuQe_diPDUTX_5BHrPrNipE3wcB0iETfxDjfiunx3KK9UEYUd1WjEuMSELUn_lQsbKFemiWgBg1N-8F5hgj21Ik8PFS7h_dPps6QD0l1Qw67trlyOvCsZW5Gcr6p1ouhx5PlpHW31I3V2fgIspjMgQSMsg7OIEymjgx2N2zAiKRbOGPu_ZNpv02YV0R8xCj0aV2f1_yjgOAUAvXWqOwlNy9kILCos3wjs_XQM6WqCP3YYhPr3y2cf4Wp7i3_mkztHErsBZMTZLwk1AdDpUNuj5jmIad-7-5HNHJ6C030qErTkCh5q3CJ5J3LoFNIxr1ufW4vU=w1259-h944-no

I used the Buxom Boost with the band at church for the first time Saturday and Sunday and it works perfectly. I found that I like the Tight knob around 10:00 where it does not really change the tone of my Small Box when kicking it on. I was pretty much running the Tight and Boost knobs like GOHOINC has in his picture above. Perfect pedal for adding some juice or just to kick things up when the band gets big. A seriously awesome pedal that works better than I had hoped. :thumbsup:

John 14:6":1tv0mzzp said:
I just ordered a Buxom Boost. Anyone have one yet and have suggested settings for hitting my Small Box with it to give it a little more juice but without really changing the tone?
I've just got one and it's awesome. The thing that surprised me the most was that just by dial the boost knob clockwise is like having a Smallbox with more gain on tap. It doesn’t sound like you added an overdrive or boost pedal. The added gain really sounds like it’s coming out of the Smallbox itself. To explain how good the Buxom Boost is I can tell you the following thing: I’ve had a mail conversation with Dave himself about having him modifying my Smallbox by adding the HBE-switch, C45 and SAT-switch, but now I don’t feel there’s a need for it anymore. By using the Buxom Boost to boost my Smallbox makes it sound as big and aggressive as the BE100 but with the vintage touch of the Smallbox.

There’s one more thing making the Buxom Boost extremely versatile, and that is that if you dial the boost knob counter clockwise it will actually lower the gain of the Smallbox without destroying the tone. This means that you can dial in the Smallbox with the gain on 10 of the BE channel and then engage the Buxom Boost and have a low gain sound but with the BE character. So there’s loads of variations making a 2-channel amp like the Smallbox a multi-channel monster of amp. And I haven’t even mentioned the Tight Knob or EQ of the Buxom Boost. The sound palette is huge.

The settings of the Buxom Boost that works best on the Smallbox for my taste is:

EQ: OFF
Tight: 10:30-11:00 - clockwise
Boost: 10:30-11:00 -clockwise

MrFlexx":58pyolip said:
John 14:6":58pyolip said:
I've just got one and it's awesome. The thing that surprised me the most was that just by dial the boost knob clockwise is like having a Smallbox with more gain on tap. It doesn’t sound like you added an overdrive or boost pedal. The added gain really sounds like it’s coming out of the Smallbox itself. To explain how good the Buxom Boost is I can tell you the following thing: I’ve had a mail conversation with Dave himself about having him modifying my Smallbox by adding the HBE-switch, C45 and SAT-switch, but now I don’t feel there’s a need for it anymore. By using the Buxom Boost to boost my Smallbox makes it sound as big and aggressive as the BE100 but with the vintage touch of the Smallbox.

There’s one more thing making the Buxom Boost extremely versatile, and that is that if you dial the boost knob counter clockwise it will actually lower the gain of the Smallbox without destroying the tone. This means that you can dial in the Smallbox with the gain on 10 of the BE channel and then engage the Buxom Boost and have a low gain sound but with the BE character. So there’s loads of variations making a 2-channel amp like the Smallbox a multi-channel monster of amp. And I haven’t even mentioned the Tight Knob or EQ of the Buxom Boost. The sound palette is huge.

The settings of the Buxom Boost that works best on the Smallbox for my taste is:

EQ: OFF
Tight: 10:30-11:00 - clockwise
Boost: 10:30-11:00 -clockwise
I also talked to Dave about modding my Small Box into the three channel version but decided against it because I truly do love my amp the way it is. I use overdrive pedals if I want more gain for something. I agree with everything you said and now that I have the Buxom Boost there is no need for a mod. This pedal actually gives me more versatility than a mod could have done for me. Too many possibilities. The thing is like a magic box. :thumbsup:

Back