SS100 or BE100 questions

rokker

I am more of a vintagey tone seeker. Looking for EVH, E Johnson, hendrix , Srv, as well as 80s metal tones. Which would you pick. Also dont play super loud so interested if that influences the decision. Have owned the marsha, beans smallbox so i know friedmans capabilities. Thanks!

Maybe its me but i her less saturation on the x than the ss or be. I am leaning ss but see a lot of blips with the master at 4 which is probably too loud for me. Maybe the ua ox amd the ss is what i need

SS for sure

X isn't as good IMO as the SS and to get the juice out of the X you need to turn it up. YMMV.

The SS is the sleeper amp of the bunch and it is fantastic!

OK, first off, just LOVE the Friedman stuff...

SS is GREAT and has an amazing clean channel as well as a nice boost channel
BE has more...more options, more switches.

Both have excellent Master Volume and Effects Loop volumes.
Low volume playing won’t be an issue.

I have never tried the small box, that may also be an option to consider...more plexi tones I’ve heard.

Best of luck, you can’t go wrong with Dave’s stuff
Even the pedals KILL.

rokker":1voju0jw said:
I am more of a vintagey tone seeker. Looking for EVH, E Johnson, hendrix , Srv, as well as 80s metal tones. Which would you pick. Also dont play super loud so interested if that influences the decision. Have owned the marsha, beans smallbox so i know friedmans capabilities. Thanks!

Well for EVH get a Cameron Jose mod...For Hendrix and EJ a Plexi with a Fuzz will work. For SRV Get a low watt Fender with a TS and a Strat with a Rosewood Slab.

If you are asking between SS or BE I go BE...♫

rokker":2knxavh6 said:
Really on the x? I thought it was a lot lower gain and woldnt get near vh and ej lead tones?
No this is absolutely incorrect...while the X is not a high gainer by any means, it still has plenty of gain. I got it for precisely EVH type stuff, and it does it in spades. I typically had the gain around 1 O'clock? Maybe 1:30? Plus the X has the voltage switch to get more squish, ala a variac.

But back to your question, the BE or SS would both be just fine to suit your needs; it really depends on how much features you want (clean channel, extra voicing switches, boosts, etc.) Given your criteria, I'd be looking at a Smallbox or Phil X.

I would go late model BE 100, or BE50 deluxe, the S (structure) switch is going to give you better options on the tones you're looking for.

Back