Friedman BE100 and Svetlana Wing C power tubes

daprofessor

I just ordered a BE 100 but have a small stash of Svetlana Wing C EL34 power tubes. Would I be able to use the Svetlana Wing C's one day or was the amp designed around JJ or some other non Svetlana Power tubes? How would they sound? What about Tung-Sol EL34B's?

While I'm at it, I have many other pre amp tubes as well.

Ruby 12AX7AC7 HG+
Preferred Series (Tube Store) Chinese Tubes 7025
Genalex Gold Lion ECC83 Premium
Various Mullards, Amperex Bugle Boy, and Telefunkens

I know I should use whatever preamp tubes the amp comes with, but what other tasty combination/option tubes can I try? I know amp manufacturers are limited by the quality tubes that are available at the moment, but would anyone care to share some thoughts on the subject?

Thanks

Of course you can use the wing C's. Try it out, see if you like it.

The BE100's are currently being shipped with EH el34 power tubes, jj12ax7's in v1, v2, and Chinese 12ax7's in v3, v4.

I personally like JJ el34's, and all Chinese 12ax7's in it, however Dave has said JJ el34's are shit right now, lot's of failures.

It's all personal taste, try different tubes, and use what you like.

Svetlana's, thats great to know. I was worried that there was some plate voltage differences that might be a reason not to try the Svetlana's (wing C). I really enjoy tinkering with tubes and wondered wether a BE-100 would be a good amp to tinker with being its is high gain and all...

I have 3 different 2x12 cabs (pair v30, pair creamback M, pair Alnico Creams) to experiment with as well. Looking for a Blues/Rock/80's rock platform.

daprofessor":1z22xja7 said:
Svetlana's, thats great to know. I was worried that there was some plate voltage differences that might be a reason not to try the Svetlana's (wing C). I really enjoy tinkering with tubes and wondered wether a BE-100 would be a good amp to tinker with being its is high gain and all...

I have 3 different 2x12 cabs (pair v30, pair creamback M, pair Alnico Creams) to experiment with as well. Looking for a Blues/Rock/80's rock platform.

You're good, the be100 plate voltage is around 480vdc, that's safe for any el34

Another question I'm going to ask my guitar tech (electronics guru) about. Is there any way to mix power tubes of the same type, EL34's in this case? As longs they are all matched (resistance), shouldn't this be ok?

daprofessor":3c09dzpp said:
Another question I'm going to ask my guitar tech (electronics guru) about. Is there any way to mix power tubes of the same type, EL34's in this case? As longs they are all matched (resistance), shouldn't this be ok?

Yes, you can run mixed brands of EL34's but they need to be all matched. Tubedepot (and others) with their matching system assigns a bias point number to each power tube, such as 35, as long as they all have the same bias point you're good. You can contact them via email and tell them you want to run mixed brands of power tubes in the same amp. For example two JJ el34's, and two EH el34's all with the same bias point.

Thanks, that sounds like a fun experiment!

Two Tung Sol's and Two Svetlana Wing C. I have always found thet good tone is the sum of components. Quality amp, quality tubes, quality pickups, quality speaker cab, quality speakers, great sounding guitar wood, and lots of practice (fingers).

Back