Running stereo delay through loops of two heads

GOHOINC

Maybe it doesnt belong here and is more of a general question but since I am sing two Friedman heads, here it is...

So I've run two amp rigs for a long time but I've always been an "in front" guy when it comes to effects, even reverbs and delays. I have decided to start putting a delay in the loop and so far am failing miserably. I am running a JJ and a Butterslax their main inputs are coming from the L and R outputs of a Boss MS-3 and there are no problems or noise in that regard. I have an EQD Avalanche Run which has stereo ins and outs. If I run it after the MS-3 and in front of the amps I have no issues but it isnt very useful going into dirty amps from the front. If I plug the Avalanche into the loop of either head on its own (mono), it works fine with no pop or volume issues. If I run it in stereo to the loop of one amp and to the front of the other it works fine but again doesnt give the best delay results in front of a dirty amp. If I plug it into the loops of both heads at the same time, one on the left input and output, one on the right input and output, when I engage the pedal my Butterslax makes a loud pop and has an enormous jump in volume. What am I doing wrong? One thing to note, the delay is wired with both ins and outs going into the thru jacks on my buffer bay.

You're not supposed to run the outputs of both amps into the pedal. Use one amp into the pedal, and split to both amps loop returns.

I'll try that. Thanks

I've gotta think about how to do it though because the stereo outs don't work unless there both inputs are used. But it's a start, thanks again .

Hmm, running one effects send to the avalanche run and out to both amps return just made a bunch of noise. As in my last post,I thought I had read in my AR manual that both input had to be used to use stereo outs, but I read the manual online and it says I could go mono in and stereo out. I need to dig out my original manual and see if I remembered wrong or if maybe there is a newer version of the pedal out. In the case I was correct I need to use my bigshot or find another way to split the single send signal to two... Any other thoughts out there?

I contacted Earthquaker devices to see if they have any ideas, they asked if the loops on the Friedmans are line level? I cant find anywhere that says they are/arent. Anyone got that info?

Here is a diagram of what Im trying to do in case it helps anyone point out what I am doing wrong...

Well thats a whole mess of ground loops. Also on the earthquaker pedal is it true discreat left and right? dry path and all? that would be a question to ask.. As for ground loops you would need a iso transformer on 1 input of either amp and then you would also need 1 send and return isolated also.. might be able to get away with ground lifting 1 amp and then the isolation transformer on the front of one.

RACKSYSTEMS":347wtffu said:
Well thats a whole mess of ground loops. Also on the earthquaker pedal is it true discreat left and right? dry path and all? that would be a question to ask.. As for ground loops you would need a iso transformer on 1 input of either amp and then you would also need 1 send and return isolated also.. might be able to get away with ground lifting 1 amp and then the isolation transformer on the front of one.

Thanks, Dave. This is a first run Avalanche Run, it appears there have been some changes to newer versions. According to the paperwork, this Earthquaker has a stereo dry path but a mono effect path, to run stereo out you have to use both inputs (newer versions you do not need to use both inputs), this can be done with separate inputs (what Im trying) or with a y cable on a single input (haven't tried). In the past I ran this delay (stereo) in between the MS-3 and the Jamman, in front of the amps, with no noise. Aside from trying to put it in the loops of both amps at the same time, I haven't had any ground loops or other noise issues but, an important note that I sometimes forget, I do have the JJ plugged into a HumX. Is there a stereo delay that you might recommend to sit in the loops of both amps or is this just a bad idea to begin with? Thanks again for the help.

I would just use 2 discrete delays 1 in each loop.. then your good to go. Make sure you have a isolated power supply and make sure they don't touch each other.

crankyrayhanky":128t8u7w said:
The ms3 does not run regular 4cm like you would think. Can you get a 1 amp 4cm going with no issues?

Yea I've read the manual but I'm not using the ms-3 in the loops, just the earthquaker pedal. Having the delay in only one amp/loop works just fine.

Back