Wildwood PT-20 For High (er) Gain and Metal

jeff5

Hey guys. I've read the regular PT-20 can get into this territory with a boost, but what about the Wildwood version? I'm not opposed to using a boost mind you, but wonder if the Sat/Boost on the Wildwood gets there without it. For reference, my "Metal" and higher gain is Volbeat to Slipknot, and older school Metal (Pantera, Metallica, etc.) stuff like that. I don't like uber tight, dry djent like tones if that helps.

Also for reference, I own a JJ 100 and the gain on the JJ channel is pretty much perfect for me. I also own a Mark V 35 and the level of gain I can get with that amp is also right up my alley. How would I like the Wildwood PT-20? I also play a lot of rock and hard rock too. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Jeff

I have a BE100 and It comes with the SAT switch too. For hard rock and classic heavy metal it's perfect. For thrash like Metallica/Pantera, It can do It ok but it's not the ideal super aggresive and percusive amp for those tones.

I already knew the answer but went down and played my wildwood taco and mark v25 to make sure. The taco is awesome but I think you would be disappointed in it for what you mentioned. The mini mark does the tighter bottom end chugs better. Maxed out on the gain and with sat on, fat switch on and bass down it sounds good for some of that stuff but just not tight enough. When I put a silver archer in front of it it helps a bunch but you asked without.

Also I like both amps a lot but for classic and hard rock marshall tones the Taco is hard to beat. I also think it sounds better than the mark at low volumes if thats important. Just don't know that it would do anything your jj wouldn't though.

Back