HBE on Dual-Channel Egnater Module

HughJasol

I recently purchased a custom Egnater SL2 module that has been modded by Dave to be a C45/HBE (it's labeled "CUST" on the faceplate). I was having some noise/interference issues with this module, and I actually changed a capacitor . . . well actually it was TWO capacitors, which is why I changed them (located on the BRIGHT PCB in location "CD", which is the bottom-most row, furthest from the toggle switches, behind the BASS pot - one of the two locations where the capacitor is folded down flush to the PCB). There were TWO ceramic disc capcitors in series where there is normally only a single capacitor soldered in there (capacitor values are being withheld to protect Dave's intellectual property). Based on a 5% tolerance, these two caps in series would be the same value as the single ceramic disc capacitor I replaced them with. My question is: were the two capacitors in series originally installed that way for any reason other than perhaps Dave ran out of the actual capacitor value he needed while he was performing this mod? I still have the original capacitors so I could return it to the way I found it. But given that this change did actually seem to help the noise somewhat (I did also shorten and resolder the leads of a few other components), I'd like to leave it in its current state unless there was some other reason it was done this way. :confused:

Could someone with an HBE mod done on their SL2 module look at their module and tell me if there are two capacitors soldered in series on the BRIGHT PCB? Or are all 4 capacitors on your BRIGHT PCB just single capacitors? That would tell me if mine was done that way as a "situational improvisation" or not . . . Thanks!

Back