Question about Adam Jones Super Bass ...

jsadctnfn1

I know that Adam has a modded '76 or '78 Marshall Superbass head, and has been the core of his tone since Tool's begining. I think he has one of the best tone's in the business and (although I don't think I have ever seen this anywhere) can't help but think that you did the mod. If you did, have you ever thought about making this amp available as a Friedman model, like the Howerdel Naked model?

or... is this a mod that is included in your Marsha amp?

Just curious, as I am in the process of saving for one of your amps, and the fact I love Adam's tone and I think the Marsha can pretty much nail it! Anyway, you'll be hearing from me shortly about placing an order! Thanks -James

Alright so... I did find you did the mod! What Google search with the right words typed in can do. LOL!

So Dave, have you ever thought about doing your version of this amp? I'd definitely purchase one!

Jason_86_951":20ejdx7t said:
Found this on the net from Dave

Its a 1959 late 70s with jj el34s and chinese preamp tubes. It is super lead spec w/ 100k feedback on the 4 ohm tap it has a .68 cap for the presence and a .68 for v2 also the caps out of v1 are both .022s. The amp is biased to 25ma and he jumps the channels with a cable. Dave

Yeah, thats the same one I found, but I thought he had a Superbass? I only know what I've read on the net or in guitar magizines though. I still have no Idea of what Marshall cab he used or what speakers were in it. You always seem to get the same basic generic info on his rig. Something like Marshall superbass head with Marshall cab. Two Diezel VH4 heads with Mesa rectifier cabs. Until I had typed in Adam Jones and Dave Friedman in google, I could NEVER find the info about Adam's Marshall or who modded it. :doh:

And... I had seen a pretty recent youtube clip about Adam's gear with his guitar tech, and he says it hasn't been modded. I'm calling B.S!

Anyway, would love to know any more info you guys have! Dave?

jsadctnfn1":325yycu9 said:
Jason_86_951":325yycu9 said:
Found this on the net from Dave

Its a 1959 late 70s with jj el34s and chinese preamp tubes. It is super lead spec w/ 100k feedback on the 4 ohm tap it has a .68 cap for the presence and a .68 for v2 also the caps out of v1 are both .022s. The amp is biased to 25ma and he jumps the channels with a cable. Dave

Yeah, thats the same one I found, but I thought he had a Superbass? I only know what I've read on the net or in guitar magizines though. I still have no Idea of what Marshall cab he used or what speakers were in it. You always seem to get the same basic generic info on his rig. Something like Marshall superbass head with Marshall cab. Two Diezel VH4 heads with Mesa rectifier cabs. Until I had typed in Adam Jones and Dave Friedman in google, I could NEVER find the info about Adam's Marshall or who modded it. :doh:

And... I had seen a pretty recent youtube clip about Adam's gear with his guitar tech, and he says it hasn't been modded. I'm calling B.S!

Anyway, would love to know any more info you guys have! Dave?

It is a Super Bass taken back to Super Lead specs. Those cap changes are the only difference in the two amps. Not saying there hasn't been any mods though. There's a hell of a lot more to Jone's tone than that Marshall though. This is where his "weird mids" come from. Probably if you use the search function here, you will find where the topic was covered and maybe even an answer from Dave. He wouldn't reveal any secrets though.

Steve

Thanks for the info.

So,... I'm torn... I really like the sound of the Marsha and the Naked!

It's hard to tell from the videos of which would be better for a Tool like tone. I am thinking the Marsha with the hairy brown eye mod.

I just hear more of a grind to that tone which I associate Tool with. Whereas, the Naked does seem to be smoother and kind of cuts that mid bite out. There is still bite there but it just seems more trebly. Also, how does the Naked sound in drop D or tuned down 1/2 step? Ala, Alice in Chains?

I really like the sounds of both of these amps! Aaaaagggghhh!!! :doh:

Tough decisions!!!

jsadctnfn1":chmk7und said:
Thanks for the info.

It's hard to tell from the videos of which would be better for a Tool like tone. I am thinking the Marsha with the hairy brown eye mod.

I just hear more of a grind to that tone which I associate Tool with. Whereas, the Naked does seem to be smoother and kind of cuts that mid bite out. There is still bite there but it just seems more trebly. Also, how does the Naked sound in drop D or tuned down 1/2 step? Ala, Alice in Chains?

Tough decisions!!!

The Marsha is going to be everything from Plexi to wild. Depends on which options you get. There ain't nothing else on the planet like the Naked though. And, yes, it was built for drop tunings and is great for Drop D, Drop C# and C. Got a hell of a bottom end and a great EQ. Still Marshall-esque, but not like the Marsha. Adams' tone is fairly easy to get layering a couple amps. Just cranks the mids and run a wah, flanger and delay in front of the amp. I did it for a couple years in a Tool tribute band with a VH4 and a JCM800.

Steve

Steve

I will just get the Marsha!
...first, and then start saving for a Naked, or if it is an option by then the Cantrel.

if you want Tool's tone, buy a diezel and a non-MV plexi (or the friedman dirty shirley)
the marsha sounds nothing like that, imo
but the naked would get you a bit closer than the marsha, although Billy Howerdel tones are completely different from Adam's
the ch1 of the uberschall twin jet would be an interesting alternative

ericsabbath":1ih5g1mh said:
if you want Tool's tone, buy a diezel and a non-MV plexi (or the friedman dirty shirley)
but the naked would get you a bit closer than the marsha, although Billy Howerdel tones are completely different from Adam's

Yeah, I know what you are saying about Billy Howerdel's tones sounding nothing like Adam's. The Naked kind of sounds mid scooped or too smooth for what I am really looking for. It doesn't have that mid grind that I am after.

I have looked into Diezel's and they are nice amps, but sound compressed or something. I'm not sure what it is. This and Adam didn't use a Diezel on Opiate or Undertow. Those albums just have a raw grind to them, and this is the tone I'm looking for.

I think the Marsha is closer to having that raw mid grind. I would get it loaded with all options as I like all the tones this amp can produce, BUT the HBE with possibly the fat switch engaged might get me close to THE main sound I am trying to achieve. No? Maybe I am off.

Why try to chase the tone through other means? I mean, if that's what your shooting for, then just use the amp that Adam uses - a Superbass. Hit it with a pedal, use the right speakers/pickups - instant Undertow.

Well its really a super lead now. With the spec earlier in this thread. Sounds very much like a blown up vh style when you play through it. Any good stock style Marshall will get you there.

RACKSYSTEMS":2fg1b2r5 said:
Well its really a super lead now. With the spec earlier in this thread. Sounds very much like a blown up vh style when you play through it. Any good stock style Marshall will get you there.

"vh" ? ..... Van Halen maybe ?

stephen sawall":o4sk9r01 said:
RACKSYSTEMS":o4sk9r01 said:

"vh" ? ..... Van Halen maybe ?

Yeah - of course. VH only means one thing in ampland.

RACKSYSTEMS":ooftzyp3 said:

Which is why I think your Marsha amp is what I'm looking for! LOL!

Playing with the band, I'd like a tone similar to Adam's, but for practicing and just messing around, the Marsha seems like it just can't be beat for a do-all amp.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

A few more paychecks... :D

steve_k":3vu8qay2 said:
jsadctnfn1":3vu8qay2 said:
Thanks for the info.

Tough decisions!!!

The Marsha is going to be everything from Plexi to wild. Depends on which options you get. There ain't nothing else on the planet like the Naked though. And, yes, it was built for drop tunings and is great for Drop D, Drop C# and C. Got a hell of a bottom end and a great EQ. Still Marshall-esque, but not like the Marsha. Adams' tone is fairly easy to get layering a couple amps. Just cranks the mids and run a wah, flanger and delay in front of the amp. I did it for a couple years in a Tool tribute band with a VH4 and a JCM800.

Steve

Steve
Thats what I was thinking, layering a couple of amps. One to punch out those mid's. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam does that with the Marshal and Diezel. Like Bonamassa with the Jub and XTC...Carol-Ann, Two Rock, Weeden (?) etc.

Greg Riley":196njueu said:
steve_k":196njueu said:
jsadctnfn1":196njueu said:
Thanks for the info.

Tough decisions!!!

Steve

Steve
Thats what I was thinking, layering a couple of amps. One to punch out those mid's. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam does that with the Marshal and Diezel. Like Bonamassa with the Jub and XTC...Carol-Ann, Two Rock, Weeden (?) etc.

Adam did it quite a while with the Super Lead and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. His tone definitely changed for the better.

steve_k":3027nfy3 said:
Greg Riley":3027nfy3 said:
steve_k":3027nfy3 said:
jsadctnfn1":3027nfy3 said:
Thanks for the info.

Tough decisions!!!

Steve

Steve

Adam did it quite a while with the Super Lead and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. His tone definitely changed for the better.

Yeah, I love his tone and I definitely think that through the years it has improved. On that note however, I remember an interview with Adam during the undertow era, where he expressed his disappointment with his recorded guitar tone from Sylvia Massy. I think there were parts of that album that I just love in terms of his guitar tone, and others where it just doesn't sound so good. I believe this is what Adam was possibly referring to, which in turn he refused to work with her again.

Anyway, I had to sell my JCM 900 as I was unemployed for a few months at the beginning of the year and I was never really happy with the tone. I think the Marsha is great sounding amp and what I am looking for. After that, it's up in the air of what will be my next purchase. I am really interested in what the Cantrel model will sound like.

Anyway, I think the list of artists that Dave mods amps, or rack gear for is incredible. From Cantrel to Jones, Steve Stevens, Billy Howerdel, Dean DeLeo etc. I love the guitar sound from all of these guys!

jsadctnfn1":1nxz9aah said:
ericsabbath":1nxz9aah said:

Yeah, I know what you are saying about Billy Howerdel's tones sounding nothing like Adam's. The Naked kind of sounds mid scooped or too smooth for what I am really looking for. It doesn't have that mid grind that I am after.

I have looked into Diezel's and they are nice amps, but sound compressed or something. I'm not sure what it is. This and Adam didn't use a Diezel on Opiate or Undertow. Those albums just have a raw grind to them, and this is the tone I'm looking for.
I think the Marsha is closer to having that raw mid grind. I would get it loaded with all options as I like all the tones this amp can produce, BUT the HBE with possibly the fat switch engaged might get me close to THE main sound I am trying to achieve. No? Maybe I am off.

If you're going for those earlier tones I would give a very strong consideration to Friedman's Angry Hippie. Playing Sober on that amp was a religious experience. That amp is just organic/raw & wide open. Plenty of gain & aggressive as all get out. I've yet to play an amp that responds as well to rolling back the volume on the guitar.

If I was going for Lateralus & 10,000 Days tones without mixing amps I probably wouldn't go for the Hippie since it doesn't have the lowend punch, tightness, & compression that the VH4 & whatever else he used while tracking added to his guitar tone. Getting their early tones through one amp though, I'd go for the Hippie.

lowmantotempole":71i14p4c said:
jsadctnfn1":71i14p4c said:

Personally I think the HBE with the FAT would be too compressed... Using a humbucker equipped guitar I think you'd find the BE with the FAT closer to what you're looking for. I've been making some clips lately, if I can come up with anything close I'll post it...

:yes:
Nice!

Thanks man. I'd appreciate it.

I was actually thinking the BE with Fat or Saturation on would be close as I seriously think people go overboard with their gain when playing alot of stuff. I will look on Youtube at some peoples covers of songs/ riffs, and too many people will have the gain too high IMO. I love heavy, but.. I also love to hear notes and there is just a sweetspot with the right combination of the two. Adam Jones and Jerry Cantrel IMO, have some of the best tones for their style of heavy rock. This is ultimately my goal. LOL!

Anyway, yeah, I'd love to hear some clips! :)

lowmantotempole":2lj7uy6d said:
OK...

I'm not claiming to be anywhere close to Adam Jones' tone here... I just fooled around with the settings you thought might work. I'm sure I could EQ it different and get closer... They could probably use a little more mids... All clips are double tracked and are labeled based on what mods I used.

If you have anymore suggestions please let me know and I can try them out.

https://www.soundclick.com/lowmantotempole

Just had a chance to check this out, as I work 3rd shift.

Thanks for doing all of this! Really appreciate it.

Man, it is really hard to tell which would be better from those clips. Some of those actually sounded to smooth or something, if that makes sense, or... could just be the recording. I am almost thinking the BE with maybe FAT and SAT. I really think this amp can produce the sound I'm after though.

Right now for practice I have a VOX Valvetronix amp. I have it set in the UK 80's mode, gain between 12 and 1 o'clock. Treble at about 2, mids cranked, and bass between 3 and 4 o'clock. This sounds good to me. I know without this amp you'd have no idea but... My Marshall JCM 900 couldn't get the tone. Had the one with 6L6's and honestly, really sounded like crap.

Well damn... if Adam can get his tone from a superlead from the mid to late 70's... :confused:

When I get the money and am about to order, maybe I'll just go over what I'm looking for with Dave, and he can do some tweaks if necessary.

Back