Question about Adam Jones Super Bass ...

xXxGhotimanxXx":2akjq291 said:
This thread appears to be dead...but it's only been a couple months. Are you guys still chasing Adam's tone for Opiate, Undertow? Any luck? Any more info?

J
I think everyone gave up ? .....

That's too bad...

I've been searching for what speakers are inside of Adam's Marshall. Never thought much about it, but the speakers do have a lot to do with tone. Warm speakers can tame a bright sound, push mids, etc., etc. Was thinking about upgrading the speakers in my cab and wondering what Adam uses. If his Superbass is a '76, I'm guessing the cab is a similar age? So what speakers would be in there? Doubt they are Greenbacks unless it's a newer cab. Maybe blackbacks?

J

My guess is that he is using all Vintage 30's now. What he has used over the years I would not guess.

You can take my word for it ..... there are always going to be plenty of people chasing this sound. At one time I was chasing this sound (like I have many others) and along the way I found a sound that fits me better. I guess you need to taste a few things to know what you like.....

stephen sawall":3uhtsvzg said:
xXxGhotimanxXx":3uhtsvzg said:
This thread appears to be dead...but it's only been a couple months. Are you guys still chasing Adam's tone for Opiate, Undertow? Any luck? Any more info?

J
I think everyone gave up ? .....

Nonsense! I didn't give up... ;)

xXxGhotimanxXx":4nxbhk0r said:
That's too bad...

I've been searching for what speakers are inside of Adam's Marshall. Never thought much about it, but the speakers do have a lot to do with tone. Warm speakers can tame a bright sound, push mids, etc., etc. Was thinking about upgrading the speakers in my cab and wondering what Adam uses. If his Superbass is a '76, I'm guessing the cab is a similar age? So what speakers would be in there? Doubt they are Greenbacks unless it's a newer cab. Maybe blackbacks?

J

I have been researching and found some old threads of interest from about 6 years ago. Someone had said that they KNEW for fact he had blackbacks in his Marshall cab. So, I looked up blackbacks and for the most part are G12H 30's, however Celestion sometime in the 70's had run out of their green color for their Greenbacks and used black instead. Anyway, it seems that either G12H 30's or what I am looking at (the G12 65's) will be really close.

jsadctnfn1":2iu89bg8 said:
xXxGhotimanxXx":2iu89bg8 said:
That's too bad...

J

I have been researching and found some old threads of interest from about 6 years ago. Someone had said that they KNEW for fact he had blackbacks in his Marshall cab. So, I looked up blackbacks and for the most part are G12H 30's, however Celestion sometime in the 70's had run out of their green color for their Greenbacks and used black instead. Anyway, it seems that either G12H 30's or what I am looking at (the G12 65's) will be really close.

I think I may have come across the same info. I'm pretty much looking at the same speakers. If you go with the G12 65's, let us know how it sounds :).

J

Sorry to bump this old thread,

but I have found some info regarding Adam Jones Marshall cab speakers,
according to Sylvia Massy, on Undertow cabs were 75W Celestion speakers,
so I'm guessing maybe G12H-75 Creamback.

"The specifics of the Undertow guitar are as follows:

Gibson LES PAUL Silverburt into a splitter, into two heads and cabs, as described in the other guitar posts in this Q&A. The particular heads were a Marshall Plexi-style 100-watt Lead head and a Mesa DUAL RECTIFIER head. The Marshall head set very loud but dynamic, the Mesa gainy and squeezed. Both cabs were newer 4x12 Marshalls with 75-watt Celestion speakers.

The guitar cabs were miced with a 57 and a 421 on each, with all mics generally summed into one track. However on the verses, sometimes I recorded each amp/cab combination to its own track, panning them wide. The differences in the character of the amps made a nice panning effect in sections of the song where there was only one performance."

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-sylvi ... uitar.html

If you want some serious input on this matter, source out some of forum member "jonl"s posts over in the Diezel subforum. He's copped the JonesToanz better than anyone I've heard on this board - if that's really what you're wanting. He's put a lot of time into exacting the chain - from the same model/era guitar, pups, amps, speakers, and FX.

I think searching his username under the Diezel forum, you'll find a bunch of good stuff.

Outside of this - and my wishing you luck in getting as close as possible to the JonesToanz - always remember, a lot of this comes from the player, an extremely mysterious signal chain (by this I mean, it's one thing to know what FX are being used, but how are they all tied together, what sequence, what controller, etc.) and of course, post-production that's just unobtainable because it's anyone's guess except the producer/studio/etc.

Good luck!!! :thumbsup: :rock:
Tool is a very VERY worthy tone pursuit. Hell yeah!!

I've been having fantastic luck with this kind of tone running a stereo rig with a VH4 pedal and a La Grange into clean amps.

stephen sawall":wml7ohjw said:
Might be the G12T-75 ?
In today's world I'd give these the nod over the 65s. Today's 65s are pretty horrible, IMHO - YMMV. But the 75s are actually good speakers when broken in and run with a suitable amp. I'd not commit solely to 75s, they're a good mix speaker - like the G12M25/Greenback. V30s as a base driver, Greenbacks, Creambacks, Alnicos, 75s, K100s, whatever your poison, but I find having that baseline "grunt" and "push" of the V30s is my foundational building block - add whatever spice you want on top!!

Guessing or trying to recreate what was in a couple Marshall 412s from the 80s?? Maybe talk to Jim at Scumback.

that would be really strange to use g12t-75, as his tone doesn't sound scooped.
At JC Dobbs live footage I would swear it was some kind of greenback.

stephen sawall":ucp73zpb said:
I think the G12T-75 might have been the only 75 Celestion had made when Undertow came out. Is there any others ?
This sounds right to me. And I would have guessed them to be the older, original run with vented magnets but she specifically said 'newer' and this was recorded around 1992, about 5-6 years after they stopped making them like that.

Then again, in the context of 'Marshall cabs'; 5-6 years is 'newer'.

Cool info, and finally confirmation from a definitive source as to exactly what was used on Undertow. It also confirms the assumptions from some folks that swore they had seen a Recto in old studio footage/pics from the Undertow sessions. Guess they were right!

In regards to the cabs, here's some food for thought. While it's most likely G12T-75 loaded cabs, there is the off chance it could have been Marshall V30 cabs. When Marshall first put out V30 cabs in the late 80s, they were apparently too cheap to get new stickers printed and continued to use the 300W stickers on the Marshall Vintage (V30) cabs for quite some time, which would lead one to think they were "75W speakers". I had a few from the early 90s that were like that before they finally switched to the new (appropriate) labels marking them as 280W.

Back