Thinking about a bogner

oz72":3d88pvwo said:
I have the opportunity to get a Classic version , which I could pick up with 2 x 5 hours of driving (and later install the marvel mod), or should I take a risk of a oversea transport to get a 20th version?
Different amps actually, You might dig thru YT and listen to clips of both amps. Classic is dryer sounding version of 101B, much less compressed, so with Marvel Mod it should work great. 20th Ann is widely reworked amp, the circuit idea is much different, and so is the voicing.

One more thing - ordering the amp from outside of Europe You'll not only have to pay taxes, but also will have to use autotransformer, unless You'll order european version, but it'd have to be new amp, so ~4000$ for it :|.

If I were You I'd buy a Classic and install Marvel Mod, eventually work on a circuit further. Classic is based on legendary 100B, so the tone is closer to Marshall. The values of Blue Channel gain stages have basically 1959 values, with added cold 10K gain stages as in JCM800. So removing C40 Excursion cap and changing PI output caps caps to 22nF makes the amp basically Marshall :). That is what I have done to my 101B actually :).

Regards, Andy

I believe the Vai ALS sound was the 100B.
If you can find one, they are worth the effort (yes I have one & yes, it is awesome)

There have been a few for sale recently

Rdodson":kq3omwrc said:
Andy - can you explain the power amp filtering differences in the 3 models?
Classic and 100B main filtering is less stiff, more dynamic and more headroom. They contain lower caps values than 101B.

Unfortunately I couldn't hunt down the exact values in 20th Ann and Classic. As You have 20th You might check the big filters and post the values :).

Regards, Andy :)

had the classic and didn't like the blue channel- not as meaty - thinner sounding. I think they sacrificed the blue channel to get a better red channel. I Like the 101b a lot better- have that now

I'm very curious of how Classic sounds, but yes, it could sound less meatier compared to 101B, as there's much less compression and less filtering. But it incorporates classic Marshall preamp circuit. Maybe removal of C40 cap would make it meatier and more aggressive :).

Regads, Andy :)

Back