Any XTC Red pedal love?

richedie

I decided it would be the ultimate rig for me running the Red pedal into my 20th Ann Shiva on the clean channel.
it adds another flavor.

Anyone have experience with the Shiva and these new pedals?

My Shiva takes pedals as well as their Goldfinger or other more bare bones Bogner or even a Fender.

Can anyone comment on the Red Pedal? I have read that the MXR Badass Distortion is just as good as the Bogner Red pedal. MXR and Way Huge rock! Their Fat Sandwich is just as good as the Suhr Riot.

Uhhh...no. Not even close. Red is awesome as is the blue, most amp like of any pedals I've had or tried. Had the MXR, returned it. POS IMO

..I know it just roars on the Shiva clean when I heard it.
Seen a Red pedal for sale "cheap" on the sale ads here.

Gawd, yes! :rock:

I like that damn thing even more than my amp. I can't get a respectable crunch out of my Framus Cobra for the life of me. It's too easy to go overboard with with the gain and when you dial it back, the Cobra's fangs fall out and there's no punch behind it. Fortunately, it has a truly excellent clean channel with an ungodly amount of volume behind it. More than the crunch or lead channels and takes to the pedal so incredibly well. The XTC even responds to guitar volume, sensitivity and overall dynamic miles better than my amps cruch and lead channels. It's just a flat out awesome piece of gear.

Nah, the MXR stuff is also just as good as the Bogner pedals based on my experience. My MXR Custom Badass Modified OD has kicked every boutique pedal off my board. That MXR Badass distortion is also top notch build and tone. I want to have my collection of MXR, Way Huge, Xotic and Bogner pedals all working together. :)

I recently added the Blue pedal to my board using my XTC, it sounds fantastis, it actually sounds better in my XTC than in my 20th Shiva. I have my eye out for a used Red.

supersonic":241zge9w said:
I recently added the Blue pedal to my board using my XTC, it sounds fantastis, it actually sounds better in my XTC than in my 20th Shiva. I have my eye out for a used Red.

Why would you use an XTC pedal with your XTC?

I know Bogner voiced the pedals to also work well with their amps. Most of their clips were done through the Goldfinger. Apparently the XTC Red sounds good through most amps where the XTC Blue sounds best through Fender based clean amps. I consider my Shiva clean, a Fender clean. My PWE however works with pedals as good as anything, just like an old Marshall JMP. It takes pedals as well as the Fryette Deliverance, Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne and older Marshalls.

richedie":302hbe0g said:
supersonic":302hbe0g said:

For live use in the clean channel of my 100B, it's not the same tone as the amps pre so I have more options playing covers.

Rich, I own the Ecstasy Red, have played the badass and own several MXR overdrives as well as a Lovepedal Eternity, OCD v.4, Xotic BB+ among others..

The MXR doesn't even come close to the Bogner pedal. The thing that makes it stand out is that it feels like playing through an Ecstasy. I had a 101B briefly and it really captures the vibe of that amp when you play it through a nice clean tube amp. I'm a big fan of the MXR stuff but they don't pull off the "amp in a box" tone and feel like these Ecstasy pedals do with the higher internal voltage. Try one and you'll see what I mean:)

I have both the red and blue pedals and they're great. The blue is on my main gig board and I use it for low gain sounds. The Shiva EL34NR gain channel is used for my high gain needs. I don't see the Blue going anywhere.

The Red is on my practise/backup board which is my grab board. That board has gotten me out of a few scrapes where I've needed it recently. That's not going anywhere either.

I'm a Bogner fan now.

Thanks guys....only clean amps I have to use are the clean channels of my modded Dual Rectifier, PWE Event Horizon and Bogner 20th Shiva.

I also have two friends who sold their Bogner Blue and Red pedals to go back to Xotic pedals. :)

supersonic":2gdb3hoc said:
richedie":2gdb3hoc said:
supersonic":2gdb3hoc said:

For live use in the clean channel of my 100B, it's not the same tone as the amps pre so I have more options playing covers.

So (the obvious question) what's the difference? How far are they actually? I've also heard some say that they are very very close (which I almost can't believe give the technology&price difference...

As I don't have an XTC and judging by clips the 100B would probably be the one I'd like most (and therefore also won't be able to get), the pedal seems to be my only choice. But it's probably so far away from the real deal that I fear I would be heavily disappointed.

Alex_S":t70v8nbq said:
supersonic":t70v8nbq said:
richedie":t70v8nbq said:
supersonic":t70v8nbq said:

So (the obvious question) what's the difference? How far are they actually? I've also heard some say that they are very very close (which I almost can't believe give the technology&price difference...

As I don't have an XTC and judging by clips the 100B would probably be the one I'd like most (and therefore also won't be able to get), the pedal seems to be my only choice. But it's probably so far away from the real deal that I fear I would be heavily disappointed.
Well they are surprisingly close. It's hard to believe a pedal can sound so close to the amp. I don't use the same settings to get similar sounds but you just dial with your ears. I set the pedal to variac on and Plexi mode, where on the amp I have the variac and Plexi both off. I'm not even a dirt pedal guy, I find OD pedals underwhelming in general. They are not exactly the same but scary close, if you want a 100B in a pedal this is it.

I compared my XTC red heavily against a KLON (#375) I had at the time. I ended-up selling the KLON, and used the XTC red in every place I was using the KLON. I'm not saying the XTC red is a better sounding pedal, but it seemed to work better for me in every application.

supersonic":44x731ms said:
Alex_S":44x731ms said:
richedie":44x731ms said:

Well they are surprisingly close. It's hard to believe a pedal can sound so close to the amp. I don't use the same settings to get similar sounds but you just dial with your ears. I set the pedal to variac on and Plexi mode, where on the amp I have the variac and Plexi both off. I'm not even a dirt pedal guy, I find OD pedals underwhelming in general. They are not exactly the same but scary close, if you want a 100B in a pedal this is it.

Thanks for the help! Sounds like I have to really try one. Will try to find a dealer in reach. Would be great to cover that tone in addition the Shivas own voice...

damn you all and this GAS inducing thread. I thought the Blue was the clear favorite around these parts when they came out? They each look like a lot of fun!

crankyrayhanky":159p3cd1 said:
damn you all and this GAS inducing thread. I thought the Blue was the clear favorite around these parts when they came out? They each look like a lot of fun!
The blue is lacking in that you can't get a good balance between gain and boost. At least that's what I found to be the case. Doesn't sound anything like the XTC blue channel IMO... I was able to dial a convincing blue channel tone in on the red pedal with no problem.

Back